Dead Stimsoni. :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thesilverbeast

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just found my 1 year old female stimsoni dead and I'm not really sure why. I've got eating and shedding records since birth and theres been nothing wrong with feeding. Last feed was on 19/5/13 and then she went blue and shed on 6/5/13. Then today I found her dead. She's been eating fine, had access to water, shed pretty well too. Temps were fine. Heat mat under a third of the tub set to 32 degrees. (I don't have my IR gun here atm to double check but its been stable for the past few months and doesn't feel any different today). She wasn't cold either as she died on the heat matt site.

The only clue I have points me to some sort of internal haemorrhage or something as the body was found like it had been writhing around in pain and died suddenly while still in that position. It seems like a quick death so that points to me like a sudden internal burst rather than a long illness that I failed to detect.

Any ideas? I'm devastated! Never going to find another female as good as her! She was a sweet heart!

Thanks!

damn that sucks , cant really offer any help on what it might be but maybe an autopsy if you can get one done ? it could be a number of things really from viruses to birth defects that went unnoticed (i.e. internal problems ) sorry to hear anyway must suck to just find one of you animals like that

Hi mate,
I am so sorry for your loss, such a hard time for you (and family?).
I do not, nor cannot tell you what she might have died from, I would get a necropsy done on her just in case, keep her in the fridge until then so she doesnt begin to decompose.
Sorry again mate :(

Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately I think it happened the night before last as its already pretty smelly after sitting on the heat matt. Usually I'd have checked on it that morning but was out of the house in a rush.

Twas just thinking maybe someones had a snake found dead in similar position like it was writhing in pain with no other symptoms before death.

So sorry for your loss. Ive noticed there seems to be alot of snake deaths latwly and all appear to be healthy. Is it possible theres some sort of virus or something going around?

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

My condolences for your loss. Unfortunately when snakes die they usually twist up and roll over a bit . if she wasn't showing obvious signs of illness then you might not find a cause of death unless a necropsy is done.

I don't suppose the heat mat could have electrocuted her or something, I wouldn't really know, but I think I've heard once or twice about heat mat malfunctions, I bet it rarely happens though. Is the heat mat stil working? Sometimes a bad smell can indicate internal bleeding, not necessarily decomposition.

Sorry for your loss, she looks like she had a really nice nature, looking at your gallery photos, looks like you've had her for years too, all the best, it's not easy to get over these things. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back