Wildlife Demonstrator Licence QLD?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitarsha

Reaction score
I've going going around in circles on the DERM site but am having difficulties making heads or tails of any of it! And i've been a public servant for years so it shouldn't be that squirrelly for me!

But - I'm trying to find out what is required to get a demonstrators licence - talking volunteer type stuff like schools, office, work with no money being charged or anything like that. Also trying to find out how much it would cost etc etc. I figured others here would have delved into the maze that is DERM and made it out the other side with a demonstrator licence in hand!

Thanks all, any help is much appreciated!

Hmm...but it doesn't logically come under Commercial seeing as there is no business or cash transaction - closer to an Educational purposes permit perhaps?

Haha just saw water buffalo are under wildlife farming license.

Last edited:
Sucks doesn't it? Reptiles must be the only pet that can't ever leave your house unless sold, sick or you pay through the nose. Almost get left wondering what's the point! Now wonder people are so freaked out about snakes - they only get so see them wild, or TV or the occasional professional demonstration!

Thanks - I'll have a squiz through the links :)

ETA - Faaaaaark $143.25 for a licence that lasts up to 1 month???!!!???? ***! Do those who do it as a job charge through the nose or claim it all on tax??!! *is still rather stunned*

Or i can keep asking DERM each time i want to take some of my mob out for a visit...i wonder if they ever approve under this note -

A person who holds a recreational wildlife licence may get the chief executive’s written approval to display an animal, other than a restricted animal, kept under the licence. However, the approval may only be given if the display is not conducted for a commercial purpose and does not last more than 11 days.
The holder of the licence will need to request permission in writing to conduct the display. The letter must specify the following:
• your name and residential address and licence number;
• the species of animal you intend to move and the number of each species;
• the date and place where the display is proposed; and
• a statement acknowledging that the display is not being conducted for a commercial purpose.
If you have the chief executive’s written approval to display the animal, you will not require a separate wildlife movement permit or movement advice to move the animal. Also, if you have the chief executive’s written approval for the display, you are entitled to keep the animal at the place stated in the approval for the period of time stated in the approval.

Last edited:
Yep, I was once a director in a childcare centre (I know, I know, me, childish??) and I tried to organise one- couldn't find anyone who'd do it for less than $200. Did not end up doing it myself without telling anyone in authority (honest, guv).

If you do decide to bite the bullet and give it a go drop me a PM
I still have my last application on file somewhere and it was accepted first time without alteration
May save you a load of work as its pretty heavy duty junk they make you get into
Just browsed the file and nothing much has changed
about $1700pa plus $810 insurance
but a great life and nearly worth it

Yes they do, and when I did it it was surprisingly painless, just talked to someone then send an email

This is the one. If memory serves, you can get a free temporary permit to demonstrate so long as the animals are not used commercially in any way (ie: using them as a draw card to attract customers to any type of commercial venture) and I believe you can do this up to 6 times per year on your recreational licence. Last time I did it it was through DERM, not sure if that has changed now though. I'd contact DERM as they issued your recreational licence and that is the category the permit you want falls under. Good Luck.

So what's the difference between the exhibitors and demonstrators licence?

Ok - tried that, seems that because there is store with a similar name who does sell reptiles...us doing a display at another store which doesn't sell pets, but does have a small amount of reptile product means that the small display is of commercial type. So a big fat no - we were told if we were going to a school it could be possible, bit we'd have to get a demonstrator licence if we wanted to do such at work. However it was mentioned that the new Govt may be changing all sorts of things so that's kinda interesting..

*sigh*

I live in Queensland and would like to have a pair of sugar gliders as pets, but I've been told I need a very expensive demonstrators license for it.
But if I got a recreational license - could I keep getting a free temporary permit to keep them forever?

I'm confused :(

I've applied for mine, unfortunately I was told unless I've done full ranger courses I can't have marsupials

Interesting. So it costs about $50 a week for the licensing and insurance, although you could probably claim some of that back at tax time (I know very little about tax, can you claim this?).

I used to be a wildlife demonstrator, and I considered trying to go for licensing myself because I wanted to keep sugar gliders again, and other little native mammals. I used to keep a sugar glider in Melbourne and miss it! I would have ended up with a whole colony, among other things, but moved to QLD.

I am also a youth worker and was interested in being able to do native animal therapy/education with really traumatized youths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back