Rode over an Elapid (maybe Western Brown) on my bike. Bitten? no pain?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only knew about the bandaging the affected area, pretty lucky I was no more than 2 km's from the hospital where it happened and also live within 2km's of the hospital too.

Was pretty nausiated after being dismissed and confused, but it all ended well. The Elapid was about 70-80cm's looking like a yearling and very thin. The Elapid survived being squashed by a bike tyre and then I tried moving it with a fairly long stick, which it then proceeded to strike twice. (Second time my mate noticed it tagged my sock.)

but at least I know the process now. Was actually considering getting a snake relocation ticket, but I'll take that off my mind for now.:D

also I won't put it off till I feel or get symptoms again.

Last edited:
This is designed to buy you time to get to medical assistance before the venom enters the blood stream and has an effect on the body’s systems.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the influence that the venom never enters the blood except through an open wound, and that it travels through the lymphatic system to the central nervous system where the damage is done. I know you said it travels through the lymphatic system, but the bit about the thoracic duct is not something I'd heard of.

In response to the chewing charcoal, It'd be my guess that the idea behind this is because charcoal is very porous and can absorb many things, such as free radicals, poisons, gases, pollutants etc (extremely large surface area per gram). I really don't think it would work, however, as it wouldn't ever come into contact with the actual venom inside the body (unless someone drank venom, which is an extremely stupid thing to do). Rubbing it on the site of the wound? I guess it could work for cleaning it up, but not much else.

Last edited:
Yes, it travels through the lymphatic system. If it was directly in to your blood stream there would be no point using a bandage because you would be dead rather quick.

The main toxins from brown snakes are as follow:
Main toxins

Pseudonaja venom is a complex mixture of protein and non-protein
components, not all of which have been fully evaluated.

(a) Neurotoxins: both presynaptic (eg textilotoxin) and
postsynaptic (Pseudonajatoxin a and b).

(b) Procoagulants: principally prothrombin converters( factor
Xa analogues), converting prothrombin to thrombin
(meziothrombin).

(c) Nephrotoxins: Not conclusively demonstrated experimentally,
but strongly suspected on clinical evidence .

I copied this information from : Pseudonaja affinis (PIM 450) This is a complete examinations of brown snake venoms. Venom travels through the lymphatic system into the blood system where it then travels through inhibiting any neural bridges causing eventually paralysis.
Cheers Cameron

I only knew about the bandaging the affected area, pretty lucky I was no more than 2 km's from the hospital where it happened and also live within 2km's of the hospital too.

Was pretty nausiated after being dismissed and confused, but it all ended well. The Elapid was about 70-80cm's looking like a yearling and very thin. The Elapid survived being squashed by a bike tyre and then I tried moving it with a fairly long stick, which it then proceeded to strike twice. (Second time my mate noticed it tagged my sock.)

but at least I know the process now. Was actually considering getting a snake relocation ticket, but I'll take that off my mind for now.:D

also I won't put it off till I feel or get symptoms again.
I was under the impression from your first encounter of the story that it bit you whilst still on your bike as soon as you put your foot down not after you had gone away and got a stick to poke at the snake with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back