Central bearded new enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No lights at night at all, not ever. If you need to heat over night a CHE is your best option.

So.. Red lights. Aren't they red because its a color reptiles can't see? So if they can't see it, then why would it be a problem using it at night? ( I could be wrong but thats just what I've read)..

Anyway, back on topic. I like your enclosure. Looks good :)

So.. Red lights. Aren't they red because its a color reptiles can't see? So if they can't see it, then why would it be a problem using it at night? ( I could be wrong but thats just what I've read)..

Anyway, back on topic. I like your enclosure. Looks good :)

They can see red, many people have had activity from beardies at late hours due to the annoying red lamps people seem to think they can not see.

Rick

They can't see blue and purple I think.. Not 100% sure.. If they can see red, then why is it such a big drama that calebs92 has a red light for a basking light?

They can't see blue and purple I think.. Not 100% sure.. If they can see red, then why is it such a big drama that calebs92 has a red light for a basking light?

the problem is not a matter of whether they can see red ,it is a matter of it being the wrong light.Basking lights are white the same as the sun,it offers light and heat which are neccessary for proper digestion(UV lights only offer UV not heat).
There have also been discussions about infra red harming beardies eyes.
And no Caleb I was not picking on you simply offering friendly advice which you can accept or ignore the choice is yours

It really is important to give them a white light for basking. When you think about bearded dragons in the wild you see them out on rocks or roads in the full sun soaking up the heat. The red light is alot darker then a white one even if the UVB is giving off a lot of light it still won't be nearly as bright as with a white basking light. I don't think anyone on this thread is trying to be mean or make you feel bad but unfortunately we do see this type of thing alot when good advise is offered but not taken and then a few weeks or months down the track the same op is asking what's wrong with my reptile? Why is it sick? Reptiles are not like mammals, they take a long time to show illness. Sometimes by the time they are showing signs it is already to late to help and this is especially true of young animals. Young beardies can go downhill very quickly and although your little friend is behaving ok now it won't be long before that changes. It is up to you if you want to keep the red light but it seems like you really do love your little friend so I would urge you to consider a white light. They cost less then $4 and it really will make your friend a lot happier, healthier and more active.

the problem is not a matter of whether they can see red ,it is a matter of it being the wrong light.Basking lights are white the same as the sun,it offers light and heat which are neccessary for proper digestion(UV lights only offer UV not heat).
And no Caleb I was not picking on you simply offering friendly advice which you can accept or ignore the choice is yours

Ok, my bad, I am new to this also. When I get my beardies I will definitely get a UV + WHITE basking globe. :)

Good choice there. Spend a descent amount on a UV and buy the phillips flood light globes (they come in different wattages and beam angles)from bunnings for next to nothing and your dragon will flourish

Would you recommend a tube for UVA/UVB or spiral compact globe? I am thinking about getting a MVB?

If IR (infrared) is harmful to beardie's eyes, then CHEs and MVBs will be bad for their eyes too, as these give off lots of heat (and heat is IR).

And how is it harmful for beardies to be awake and active at night time, what do you think happens when people have their beardie enclosures on displace in family areas or bed rooms in their home ? (Not everyone keeps their lizards in the shed or a specific reptile room).
Wont their built in internal clocks tell them to curl up somewhere dark ie in their hide and go to sleep irrespective unless they are disturbed by their carer getting them out ?

Last edited:
I have red lights for my blueys and never had an issue? I dont understand why there is a difference between white and red?, blue or black I can understand, and I have to disagree with the red light being for night they are quite bright and mess around with the day night cycles of the lizards from my experience, and why is everyone telling him to go to bunnings to get a light? they have perfectly good white heat lamps for reptiles made by exo terra and stuff, are they cheaper or something? I just recently got a beardie two days ago and am still learning so not having a dig just curious? but the red light thing sounds strange to me

I have red lights for my blueys and never had an issue? I dont understand why there is a difference between white and red?, blue or black I can understand, and I have to disagree with the red light being for night they are quite bright and mess around with the day night cycles of the lizards from my experience, and why is everyone telling him to go to bunnings to get a light? they have perfectly good white heat lamps for reptiles made by exo terra and stuff, are they cheaper or something? I just recently got a beardie two days ago and am still learning so not having a dig just curious? but the red light thing sounds strange to me

Hi when i first got my bearded dragon i was sold a red basking light by the pet store. After a bit of research i found that red lights can actually make bearded dragons depressed. It is un natural and despite what any body tells you they can see the red light. After changing to a normal light she was alot more active and happier. I suggest you change it for the beardie as soon as you can but i have no idea about the blueys. But always remember that replicating the lizards natural habitat is best.

the red light part has already been explained,but to go a little deeper red lights are not bad for all reptiles,some people with nocturnal reps use them.
The reason lots of people go to bunnings etc.is because of cost,why would you spend $20+ for a light that blows in 4-6 weeks when you get 1 that does the same job for $3-4 that lasts for several months

I am not sure if it counts but bearded dragons have a third eye in the centre on the top of the head (if you don't believe be look on the top of their heads they have a little bulb in the middle that is the eye it also cannot focus so i can see anything but blur, so they can still see light) it is believed by studies that it is used for seeing light which means in turn they see most of the light spectrum from what i have read but i know that blueys don't have the third eye. their two normal eyes cannot tell colour difference in light but still can tell if it is dark.

Nick

I am not sure if it counts but bearded dragons have a third eye in the centre on the top of the head (if you don't believe be look on the top of their heads they have a little bulb in the middle that is the eye it also cannot focus so i can see anything but blur, so they can still see light) it is believed by studies that it is used for seeing light which means in turn they see most of the light spectrum from what i have read but i know that blueys don't have the third eye. their two normal eyes cannot tell colour difference in light but still can tell if it is dark.

Nick

Apparently Bluetongues and a lot of other reps have this 3rd eye too.....

thanks :) yeah im not using red for my beardie, i have a hallogen naturak colour light from bunnings as ive read about before i got him, my blueys never bask under them only red its strange

Nick

really or you trolling? interesting if serious
, yeah my blueys hve no issue with red but wont bask under natural coloirs as i said before its quite strange they also sleep fine if it is in (i turn them off every night)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back