Correct heat lamp???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_sikma

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey

The enclosure I have purchased is running a single UV light and a 150w blue party light globe as the source of heat!

Its running through a thermostat set at 26deg and turns off when it hits the temperature!

The tank has been set up with the current snake in it for 2yrs without an issue but I'm just double checking if this is ok?

All the lights are caged off so the snake can't touch them!

Thanks

150w ? That won't be a party light. Typical party Globes don't run that high, spotlights do

Is that 26 degrees the basking spot temperature??, it might need to be higher. What snake is it?

It's not the typical purple reptile heat globe?

The thermostat is in the middle of the tank so 26 is the overall temp but ovbiously hotter where the globe is!

Check the basking spot temp - it could be to hot/cold ! Grab a thermometer and put it where your snake should be laying. Get that right and then adjust your thermostat to suit. Don't rely on the temp reading on the thermostat they're notorious for being "out"

How hot should it be on the basking spot and the opposite end of the tank where his water is?

Cheers

Depends on what you have, most Morelia seem to like between 33 - 35.

33-35 will be what you need. I've got 5 Darwin's all at the same temp and some spend hours basking, others prefer a quick warm up and move.

I've just replaced the 80w bunnings globe that was in there with a 150w Phillips Infared globe!

The basking spot temp has gone from about 32deg to 40deg with the bigger globe!

The middle of the tank where the thermostat is sits around 24deg now and it's a cold night! The thermostat is set at 26deg so it's still not warm enough to heat the tank?

40 is to hot for a basking spot. Do As above post stated - get the basking spot right. The rest of the tank is not a problem.

I think I had the thermometer probe a bit close to the light so I've moved it to where the basking spot actually is!

Its down to about 34 now so before it was measuring under the globe!

I didn't think the heat would drop so much in such a short distance?

Heat drop can be significant cm by cm.
if it helps to make sense of it, "pretend" your thermometer is your snake. Put the thermometer where you think the snake will lay. When the temp seems correct move the dial on your thermostat until you hear it click, don't rely on the number on the thermostat to be accurate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back