just a question

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

Reaction score
just curious to know if it is illegal or legal to breed a bredli to a coastal carpet i cant seem to find a definate answer for it

im not looking at doing it im just curious to know what cant isnt allowed to be bred together out of the morelia sp.

Different laws different states....prepare to duck

im only asking as the are basically the same species just different sub species morelia spilota bredli and morelia spilota mcdowell and i cant find anything that yes a definate yes or no to it

im only asking as the are basically the same species just different sub species morelia spilota bredli and morelia spilota mcdowell and i cant find anything that yes a definate yes or no to it

Not quite.

Morelia bredli and Morelia spilota mcdowell

sorry i was reading it out of a reptile book i had to get the spelling right

Must be an older classification. Bredli have being classed as Morelia bredli for a long time.

This is an extract from Department of Environment and Heritage Protection Guideline on the Queensland government site.

1. Can I breed protected animals?
    Yes, if you are the holder of an appropriate licence you are entitled to breed those species listed underSchedule 3 of the Nature Conservation (Wildlife) Regulation 2006.
    However, it is illegal to knowingly breed a mutation or hybrid of a protected animal, although there are somespecific exemptions that apply to the holder of a commercial wildlife licence or recreational wildlife licence forlive protected birds.

The definition of a hybrid is as follows.

In biology and specifically, genetics, the term hybrid has several meanings, all referring to the offspring of sexual reproduction.[SUP][1][/SUP]

1. In general usage, hybrid is synonymous with heterozygous: any offspring resulting from the mating of two genetically distinct individuals
  2. a genetic hybrid carries two different alleles of the same gene
  3. a structural hybrid results from the fusion of gametes that have differing structure in at least one chromosome, as a result of structural abnormalities
  4. a numerical hybrid results from the fusion of gametes having different haploid numbers of chromosomes
  5. a permanent hybrid is a situation where only the heterozygous genotype occurs, because all homozygous combinations are lethal.
From a taxonomic perspective, hybrid refers to:

1. Offspring resulting from the interbreeding between two animals or plants of different species.[SUP][2][/SUP] See also hybrid speciation.
  2. Hybrids between different subspecies within a species (such as between the Bengal tiger and Siberian tiger) are known as intra-specific hybrids. Hybrids between different species within the same genus (such as between lions and tigers) are sometimes known as interspecific hybrids or crosses. Hybrids between different genera (such as between sheep and goats) are known as intergeneric hybrids. Extremely rare interfamilial hybrids have been known to occur (such as the guineafowl hybrids).[SUP][3][/SUP] No interordinal(between different orders) animal hybrids are known.
  3. The third type of hybrid consists of crosses between populations, breeds or cultivars within a single species. This meaning is often used in plant and animal breeding, where hybrids are commonly produced and selected because they have desirable characteristics not found or inconsistently present in the parent individuals or populations. This flow of genetic material between populations or races is often called hybridization.

Not sure about QLD but you may be able to find out the same way I did, went to my reptile keeping ebook online, went lodge new species and the option for MS Mcdowelli x M Bredli (Coastal/Centrilian Carpet Python Hybrid) is an option. That's how I usually check, if it's not on the list of options then its either illegal or you aren't licensed to do it :)

However, it is illegal to knowingly breed a mutation or hybrid of a protected animal, although there are somespecific exemptions that apply to the holder of a commercial wildlife licence or recreational wildlife licence forlive protected birds
This is interesting. Does that mean albinos are technically illegal in QLD?

When I moved my pythons up to QLD I rang them up and asked them about that. Apparently mutations according to DEHP is something that can not occur in wild populations. So pretty much it isn't enforced as any strange gene (mutation) could be argued as naturally occurring.

When I moved my pythons up to QLD I rang them up and asked them about that. Apparently mutations according to DEHP is something that can not occur in wild populations. So pretty much it isn't enforced as any strange gene (mutation) could be argued as naturally occurring.

If thats the case than jags are banned from being bred in Q.L.D? Woo hoo, (cracks open the champagne) lol.

This is interesting. Does that mean albinos are technically illegal in QLD?

It looks like the question was answered by RedFox. But it only mentions breeding or releasing and not owning so I am not sure that they could take any snake from you unless you were breeding.

If thats the case than jags are banned from being bred in Q.L.D? Woo hoo, (cracks open the champagne) lol.

Why would the Jag gene be any different from any other mutation? In theory all mutations from natural breeding processes could happen in the wild, it would only only be the genetically modified snakes (if ever possible) that would be banned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back