Excessive consumption of Coca Cola

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This bit made me roll my eyes. "The family did not consider Coke was harmful because its labels do not contain warning signs."

Drinking too much water can kill you too,perhaps they should issue a health warning.

Didn't say that Invercargillians were intelligent :)

I quit smoking and drinking alcohol and I am trying to quit coke too but it is pretty hard. If I have 1 can a day I'm happy but its generally 3 or 4. Quitting ciggies was hard but I reckon coke is harder...which might surprise most!
I'm not fat...maybe gay fat but straight thin and my teeth have seen better days but thats not from coke, its from fists and gutters lol

The diet stuff is just as bad if not worse. It contains aspartame and here is a few reasons it is bad.

5 Reasons Aspartame Is Bad for You / Nutrition / Healthy Eating

Oh please... Come on. Show some science here Andy - I see not one shred of scientific evidence of any of that hyped up rubbish. On saying that however, I prefer my sugar to be real. I don't like diet drinks or diet that. But the evidence that aspartame can cause the damages that page suggests - with no evidence to back it up (not one peer reviewed example at all) I think we can rest assured that aspartme in drinks isn't as bad as some people would like it to be - though, necessary? Not all.

Oh please... Come on. Show some science here Andy - I see not one shred of scientific evidence of any of that hyped up rubbish. On saying that however, I prefer my sugar to be real. I don't like diet drinks or diet that. But the evidence that aspartame can cause the damages that page suggests - with no evidence to back it up (not one peer reviewed example at all) I think we can rest assured that aspartme in drinks isn't as bad as some people would like it to be - though, necessary? Not all.
Aspartame May Be More Toxic in Men than Women

Andy - sorry mate, no offence, but Mercola is a known anti-science fanatic. Show me one peer reviewed item that backs his claims. Mercola is anti-vaccination, anti-science and all to sell his supplements which, funny enough, the FDA have told him he is marketing illegally.

Forgive my ad-hominem attack on Mercola - but this guy is a complete quack. Here's one letter the FDA sent to Mercola Meditherm Inc. 3/22/11

And a little article to go with it :) FDA Orders Dr. Joseph Mercola to Stop Illegal Claims

It wouldn't sound so bad if you'd told us you mixed it with either rum or whiskey (any spirit would have sufficed)

Ps: I didn't see the age if the OP, so disregard my post if you're 12 or something :lol:

Uncle got diabetes from drinking it all day everyday. The only good thing about it was going over there to have some cause a fridge was dedicated to coke.

Andy - sorry mate, no offence, but Mercola is a known anti-science fanatic. Show me one peer reviewed item that backs his claims. Mercola is anti-vaccination, anti-science and all to sell his supplements which, funny enough, the FDA have told him he is marketing illegally.

Forgive my ad-hominem attack on Mercola - but this guy is a complete quack. Here's one letter the FDA sent to Mercola Meditherm Inc. 3/22/11

And a little article to go with it :) FDA Orders Dr. Joseph Mercola to Stop Illegal Claims

There is plenty of stuff on the internet talking about the bad side effects of soft drinks and aspartame. Do you honestly believe that all the stuff in them drinks is good for you? There are plenty of small studies around carried out by small institutes showing the negative impacts of certain ingredients of soft drinks. Also I would be sure that the OP is having many times the FDA approved ADI of each of the ingredients and it can be this that the FDA does not look at to see what effects it may have on people. The FDA has not banned Macdonalds because it is not until you exceed the ADI that there is a problem. You can say till you are blue in the face that the FDA says aspartame is safe to drink but I guarantee that a person who drinks two litres of diet coke a day will have a lot more health issues than a person who drinks two litres of water a day.

...the caffeine in it is a duiretic , makes you pee (lots) so you wind up drinking more in hot weather......I limit myself to about 1 L per day but will frequently drink more if it's a hot day
It also dehydrates you, making you thirsty so you drink more to try and hydrate...viscious cycle!
I bet its not any good for your kidneys or liver when drunk regularly in large volumes.
I cant say I dont drink it myself but I dont drink as much as I used to...unless I have a bottle of appletons rum then its game on! Oh look, theres one, Mmmmmm

It also dehydrates you, making you thirsty so you drink more to try and hydrate...viscious cycle!
I bet its not any good for your kidneys or liver when drunk regularly in large volumes.
I cant say I dont drink it myself but I dont drink as much as I used to...unless I have a bottle of appletons rum then its game on! Oh look, theres one, Mmmmmm

Sure does.

Fortunately my kidneys and liver and everything are fine (even the colesterol). First things my GP had checked were these before I was started onto HT meds (my BP was a little elevated a few years back , it's perfect now , but still on the meds). .

Now if someone was diabetic or had deseased kidneys , I think they'd be in medical trouble if drinking even 1.25 L of Coca Colar per day or they would soon develop problems (as well as gaining weight if they are not burning the calories somehow).

Last edited:
if you were to eat the amount of sugar in a can of coke you'd spew it up but there is a certain chemical that tricks the brain into not knowing there's actually that much in it,
just something to think about, and diet coke zero are worse than normal coke as the others have said

(better than coffee or tea or No Doze).
Coke is MUCH worse than coffee or tea, No amount of coke is good for you, many studies show that a cup of tea or coffee a day has many health benefits.

Ditch the soft drinks ASAP, and start on the road to recovery

Anyone have a link to a scientific peer reviewed journal article on any claims made? So far most stuff I see is just stuff that is found on health sites or in weekly magazines without back up.
Cheers Cameron.
Ps I know it is bad for you but I would like to see some hard proof for peoples claims.

Coke is MUCH worse than coffee or tea, No amount of coke is good for you, many studies show that a cup of tea or coffee a day has many health benefits.

Ditch the soft drinks ASAP, and start on the road to recovery

Nah, I like them.

There are a number of misconceptions being bandied about as fact...
The sweetener Aspartame has been the subject of thorough investigation, perhaps more so than any other food additive. It was also the subject of a number of internet hoaxes making fallacious claims about its supposed effects. For example, when I read that the “American Cancer Council is hiding the real facts about aspartame from you” I was quite confident the article I was reading was fabricated. The Wikipedia page on Aspartame is a good starting point, well referenced and you can checkout the hoops it’s been through. I read a few of the damning articles and by my reckoning, given the stuff was in frequent use when I was growing up, if it really does to you all the things that it is purported to, then half the current population should be hospitalised or dead. One interesting point that none of the articles raised is the danger to those suffering the genetically inherited disorder Phenylketonuria (PKU) due to the formation of the amino acid phenylalanine when aspartame breaks down.

There is nothing added to aerated soft drinks to trick your mind. They contain phosphoric acid, a flavouring, and carbonic acid, the fizz. Acids are sour and sugar counteracts that sourness. So you average sugar-based can of fizzy drink has around 10 teaspoons of sugar in it. The acid is not great for your teeth but exposure to it limited in time and saliva coating the inside of the mouth and the teeth helps to reduce the effects of the acid. Put simply, the effects on your teeth are not as bad as is often made out.

The real danger from excessive consumption of standard coke or other fizzy drinks, many fruit juices, flavoured milk or any other form of highly sweetened beverage, is the amount of sugar consumed. This is often referred to as the “hidden calories” because it doesn’t feel like you are eating food. This can represent a significant calorie intake and when added to that taken in with more solid food, it is not difficult for your calorific intake to exceed the calories you need and are using. This results in calorie storage through internal deposition of fat. If this is allowed to continue unabated it can result in obesity.

High blood sugar levels do not directly cause diabetes. High blood sugar levels when obese are a major contributing factor. That is Type 2 of course. Some of the combined effects of obesity and diabetes on the body are very nasty, such as reduced peripheral circulation and resulting cell death requiring amputation of toes or even portions of the foot etc

If you are particularly active and using the calories or drink high sugar beverages in moderation only, there is no health issue attached. Coke and a number of other beverages do contain caffeine, which is physically addictive. A reason why a lot of people drink only Coke – because other similar beverages do not satisfy the need for caffeine. If you are addicted then within 24 hours of stopping you will experience mild withdrawal symptoms for a day or so. These are usually a general feeling of malaise, enervated, irritable and possibly headaches. Basically you feel like crap for a day or two. After that you will quickly return to normal. The difficulty then can breaking the habit you have established that gives you your ‘hit’. Exercise and releasing endorphins can often help here.

Blue

It always interests me that you never see thin people drinking diet drinks... they obviously don't work - the fat people I know who change from sugar-based soft-drink to the diet stuff to lose weight just stay as fat as they always are...

It's all about either being too lazy, or having other issues which prevent the person from taking serious action to control their weight. I used to be keen on these things, and even Scotch Finger biscuits, to the point where I was compelled to eat them when I was bored, but decided I needed to control my intake rather than be compelled to eat them. Haven't had a Scotch Finger in 2 years, and maybe have a can of Coke every 2 or 3 months when I need an energy hit.

After a few days it's easy, and I've lost around 15kg and feel so much better... I also do weights at the gym 3-4 times a week because my motivation is high.

Jamie

images

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back