TAP TRAINING For Cage Deffensive Snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Geeza

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
Firstly this may have been covered before but with so many threads about the subject I thought I would just explain to the newer members how easy it is to make not getting bitten slightly easier:rolleyes:......Also I must state u DO NOT tap your snake its just a term used by keepers and neither r u training them (but that's up to debate):shock:........OK so your snake handles ok while out of enclosure but u seem a little nervous when trying to get out of its domain...open enclosure and just gently using your hook slowly push from the neck to the head the teethy end away from u...this usualy tells the snake its not dinner time and it will usually slither in the other direction at which point u can utilize your hook and hand to gently lift your snake out of the enclosure......easy as that....the whole process is basicly to tell your snake that u not about to shuv its fav food in its face....I have found with all my snakes that they respond very well to this "TAP TRAINING" as they call it...(Try getting a 5 kg Bredli out that comes at u for food !!) but using the tap method she comes out without any fuss........Hope this help guys and gals and feel free to comment (I wont take offence if people disagree)..Ta Pete

Last edited:
I didn't know there was a name for it but this is exactly what I do as well. Nice of you to share

My snakes prefer Jazz to tap. I use a similar technique too.

I didn't know there was a name for it but this is exactly what I do as well. Nice of you to share
Sry Sax I learnt that when I lived in the Uk...got to admit I didn't realize it wasn't called that over here

Tapping

I tap on the glass with my fingers when it's feed time as they all have clay pots as hides.... within seconds their heads are out and if their real hungry they will come half way out of their pots . I always use the hook for when they are going to be handled and they know that too . They are a lot smarter than people think .

Thought I would get a little more feedback for other people to learn from this thread

This is how all my snakes are taken out of their enclosures. Hook in their enclosure and it's ok they're going for some sun or going for checks. Warm hand in their enclosure ensures that the haemoglobin receptacle is going to be punctured.... just the way I like it.

Hmmm... My demon Olive is smart enough to actively try to avoid the hook, opting instead to go around it and along the pole to get to my hand to have a go at it. And he's quick!!!

Does anyone else warm their hooks before hooking their snake? I do because my BHP's jump a bit if you hook them from their nice warm heat cord with a cold hook.

I climb into the enclosure and wrestle the snake for a few minutes. Hatchling tubs are the hardest though.

One of my male jungles is psychotic and has got this hook thing down pat, I hook him quite easily, but at which point he wraps the hook, comes straight up the hook and repeatedly tags me and the hook handle

One of my male jungles is psychotic and has got this hook thing down pat, I hook him quite easily, but at which point he wraps the hook, comes straight up the hook and repeatedly tags me and the hook handle

Yep time for a longer hook... I only use the longest with our Sniper jungle... she,s finally getting better... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back