painting and sealing

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildthings

Reaction score
More questions for those in the know :D when it comes to painting over acrylic render, 1 do I need to seal the render before painting to help stop the render sucking in all the paint? 2 does the silicone for the plants etc go on before or after sealing?017.jpg

Mad has it right. Sealing comes last, the render doesn't suck up enough paint to be a concern. Silicone first or last doesn't mater, just make sure you use a waterproof one so it doesn't break down with the humidity

Cool, thanx, I was thinking that paint wouldnt stick to silicone or that it would break up once dry, great I'll leave it till last. Thanx again:)

If your worried about the first coat sucking up the paint water it down a little

You are right, paint will not stick to silicone.
If you are going to use silicone, I'd do it last.

As for sealing, mix paint with 10% water, the render will suck up a lot of water from the paint.

Actually Selleys has an excellent silicone product out now which is an adhesive, sealant and gap filler, and it is paintable.

Selleys 3-in-1 - it's very good product, available in clear & white, but as I said paintable with acrylic paints.

Jamie

Right, silicone last and i think hubby got the selleys 3 in 1 for me already...well got two coats of the base paint on, only had to water down a little bit and used a foam roller to paint with, was much easier than I thought it would be and of course 2nd coat went on no trouble...thanks for the help :D

Hey there everybody,..Got the selleys 3 in 1 it says it's low toxic, think it'll be okay to use? :)

It has the eco friendly tick on it, so I thinks it's safe, havnt found anything that says it's not :) not sure about the aquarium one, didn't see that one :)

Hey there everybody,..Got the selleys 3 in 1 it says it's low toxic, think it'll be okay to use? :)

Roof and gutter silicone is safe to use. Cant comment on the 3 in 1. Anything safe for fish or drinking water are safe for reptiles, most 100% silicone products.

Ones to be avoided are any with mold or mildrew resist technology or ones with a strong vinegar smell.

Rick

Roof and gutter silicone is safe to use. Cant comment on the 3 in 1. Anything safe for fish or drinking water are safe for reptiles, most 100% silicone products.

Ones to be avoided are any with mold or mildrew resist technology or ones with a strong vinegar smell.

Rick
The 3 in1 has the friendly to fish logo on it :)

The aquarium safe on smells like vineger
No good then ? havn't opened the 3 in 1 yet, going to leave it till last thing, the pondtite says the surface that it goes on to has to be non movable/flexible and I would think that the 3 in 1 will be a bit flexible...sound right? lol On another subject, has anyone tried out the reptileone fan heaters? :)

Last edited:
Its the ones that smell like chemicals that are bad the aquarium safe on is obviously safe for reptiles if you can use it in a fish tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back