GU10 halogens

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Norm

I saw on reptiles direct website an adaptor so Gu10 halogens can be used in normal ES fittings. I happen to have scored a couple of boxes of 50w Gu10 globes and wondered if would be worth while getting some.
Anyone used either the adaptors or the Gu10 globes? Pros or cons? Is 50w suitable? How do they go on an on/off thermostat?

Give the ES27-GU10 NOT VERY ceramic adapters THEY SELL a wide berth, they are useless and VERY DANGEROUS. There is a recent thread about them. They melt and are a fire risk.

The globes are fine, BUT YOU'LL NEED A PROPER ALL CERAMIC HIGH TEMPERATURE RATED E27-GU10 ADAPTER.

Last edited by a moderator:
do not use adaptors they tend to cause more problems than they solve,if you want to use GU10's change the mount.
I bought a couple of enclosures that had the 50w GU10 and they can give you temps up to 50c and no probs with on/off.If you want GU10 fittings I have some ceramics,PM me

I missed the bit where it said they are plastic! Thanks for pointing that out, if I had noticed that myself I wouldn`t even have asked the question.:oops:

The plastic ones are for led globes only, not to be used with halogen due to the melting.

Why pay for an adaptor to go into a e27 socket when you can buy ceramic gu10 bases for around $3.

Rick

The benefit I see with an adaptor is if you run out of GU10 globes you can easily go back to ES ones,although unlikely I know. I didn`t know ceramic GU10 bases were available but now I know they are I`m very interested in getting some.
Firstly though, I run some of my enclosures without thermostats, what wattage gu10 are people using and what sort of basking temps are you getting. If need be I`ll get some more thermos to run them.

The plastic ones are for led globes only, not to be used with halogen due to the melting.

Why pay for an adaptor to go into a e27 socket when you can buy ceramic gu10 bases for around $3.

Rick

If like me you have existing e27 enclosures, its easier to get ceramic converters. it cost me $70 for 8 of them, sent from the UK. I couldn't find anyone in aus that stocked them. Also I have found I've only needed the 35w globes to get my basking spots at 32-35 deg about 20-25cm away.

One other thing, low voltage or 240?
GU10 is 240 and GU5.3 or MR16 is low voltage. If you are dimming it is best to go with 240 because not all transformers can be dimmed.

Rick

Where do you get the ceramic ones from? I have only ever seen plastic :/ or am I just not looking hard enough?

Yeah got your pm but the link didn't work, I think I found some but ill check with you to make sure they're the same. Thanks!

How exactly are these lights rigged? (I'm not asking for wiring advice btw)
Do they need transformers or are they just wired straight in to a power plug? The reason I ask is because I have just built a new rack and would be interested in trying the gu10 out but not sure it will be possible as I haven't allowed space for a transformer.

Thanks

I own Ceramic ES > GU10 adaptors, they work great. The main advantage of them is I was able to switch all my set ups to halogen which has halved my power consumption due to the massive amount of heat they put out per watt.
I cannot recall where I bought mine but it was on line, keep an eye out as they are about.

I bought mine on ebay and have been very happy with them (mine are BC > GU10). With GU10 light bulbs, they are ridiculously less expensive in the UK and work out less than half price even with postage via ebay.

How exactly are these lights rigged? (I'm not asking for wiring advice btw)
Do they need transformers or are they just wired straight in to a power plug? The reason I ask is because I have just built a new rack and would be interested in trying the gu10 out but not sure it will be possible as I haven't allowed space for a transformer.

Thanks
There are two types of downlight and they are the GU10 or the GU5.3 also called MR16 , the GU 10 is run directly from 240 volt mains power and the GU5.3 is the low voltage version that will run from a transformer and if you are running them from dimming thermostats you are better going for the GU10 because a lot of the transformers are not dimmable (mainly the electronic ones). I have a bearded dragon enclosure and run the heat light on timer only so I prefer using the low voltage type so I do not have 240 volts in my enclosure so you really need to consider the application when choosing what to use.

There are two types of downlight and they are the GU10 or the GU5.3 also called MR16 , the GU 10 is run directly from 240 volt mains power and the GU5.3 is the low voltage version that will run from a transformer and if you are running them from dimming thermostats you are better going for the GU10 because a lot of the transformers are not dimmable (mainly the electronic ones). I have a bearded dragon enclosure and run the heat light on timer only so I prefer using the low voltage type so I do not have 240 volts in my enclosure so you really need to consider the application when choosing what to use.

I'm wanting to use them with dragons also. Don't normal incandescent bulbs also run at 240v?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back