Plaster of paris hides

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

izzys1

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I needed new hides for my Blonde Spotted's and decided to have a go for myself. I am happy with the results and it seems so are Ivy and Milo :) The only change I would make would be smaller entrances and work on my colors for the outside, next are some log shaped hides.

Attachments

• snakes 001.jpg
    snakes 001.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 323
  • snakes 002.jpg
    snakes 002.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 290
  • snakes 004.jpg
    snakes 004.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 276
  • snakes 007.jpg
    snakes 007.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 301
wow you did an amazing job with those hides!, are they waterproofed?
thanks for sharing

Those are ridiculously cool! they look better then my bought ones by far!
thank you for sharing. :)

Love them. They look awesomd

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone! Yes they are water proof I used a non toxic pond sealer I can post the name of it tomorrow if your interested (to cold outside now!!) It comes in 3 colors I chose sandstone.

Hi izzys1 they look great well done, looks like your snake/s are pretty happy with them too. Would be interested in the name of the sealer, cheers.

Hi
Did Use A Mold Or Just Sculpt Them?
I Have New Really Uses Plaster Of Paris So It Would Be Great To Know :)

Im interested to know how you did it also as I would like to give it a go

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

These hides look great, the texture looks awesome too. I imagine the texture of the hides will help your Spotted pythons shed as well. Great job, Well done!

Ok so it was actually REALLY easy.They are molded. I used a dessert bowl and taped a toilet roll to the side where i wanted the entrance, covered the whole thing in glad wrap and then just piled on the plaster. The ratio on the packet was 70ml of water to 100gm of plaster powder but i found this a bit too runny so I just added powder till i got a thicker plaster which meant I could also make it thicker.
I let it dry for 24hr and then it just slipped off the bowl. So they are rough on the outside and smooth on the inside.
I then painted them with the sealer and added a bit of kids non toxic paint stippled on top, They should be waterproof.View attachment 291519View attachment 291520

Do beware using plaster of paris, it can be very dangerous stuff, a girl in the states lost most of her hands in an art experiment at school, coz her teacher did not know how dangerous, in the right situation, the stuff is. I also used to make calcium bells for my birds years ago, until I read somewhere that plaster of paris is carcinogenic, I stopped making them, what I found in a quick search, this is 15yrs ago, was that some mixes of plaster of paris have bad stuff in them and some don't, some were even made with asbestos in the mix :(

Didn't think about adding a caution wildthings, Yes you have to be careful I wore gloves and glasses and you need to be careful not to inhale the powder I did mine outside to to avoid fumes. The water proofer is premixed so no worries there.

Didn't think about adding a caution wildthings, Yes you have to be careful I wore gloves and glasses and you need to be careful not to inhale the powder I did mine outside to to avoid fumes. The water proofer is premixed so no worries there.
It's nice stuff to use when u want a nice smooth finish, I would have liked to use it in the enclosure I'm doing, but I thought the heat it creates might melt the expanda foam or the polystyrene, lol, much easier to smooth than render ugh.. :)

This one didn't seem to get that hot, it said on the packet that it may but it was warm to the touch but that's it.Yeah render is a lot of mucking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back