Port Macquarie Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CassieT

Reaction score
Hi :)
I am looking for my first snake and i have been offered a port macquarie python.
She is just over 2yo and only about 2 foot.
I believe a port macquarie python is a natural cross between a diamond and a coastal carpet.
I have been told she is a little flighty but doesnt bite (although i understand that there is always a chance a snake will bite).
In regards to this particular Python i do have a few questions.
Will she settle down with more handling being a bit over 2yo already?
I dont think she is being handled all that much at the moment.
To me 2 foot is rather small for a 2yo snake, am i right?
Should that be something of concern?
I know i have asked this question but to keep it together, would i be better off going for a younger snake?

Oh and i am going to try and go and meet this snake tomorrow.

A 6 - 10 month old carpet would be 2ft (average), so yes if she is actually 2 years old she is extremely malnourished.

Yeah I would be a bit worried about the age you've been given. If she isn't used to being handled very much then you might have to expect some flightiness.

Port Mac's are a naturally occurring intergrade and not a Coastal x Diamond as such....but your description and understanding is on the right track. They are common in the wild around these parts.

I have one that was born in February and he is just on 2ft now.......So that will give you an idea of how small yours is for its age if the age is correct. In the wild they are a generally docile snake - many local herpers who come across them state they are usually able to handle them wild without a lot of difficulty.

From the research I did when I got mine I believe they are a relatively hardy breed, generally placid and a relatively easy species to keep. A lot of people around here keep them in outside aviaries due to them being a native to this area they do not have the requirements of other breeds in terms of additional heating etc....

Yours may be a little flighty due to hunger, or it may not have been given a particularly loving environment with which to grow up in. It will be like most snakes....They can either stay flighty or calm down with regular handling, feeding, and sound husbandry. If it is underfed it may well calm down a lot with a few good regular feeds.

Port Mac's are a naturally occurring intergrade and not a Coastal x Diamond as such....but your description and understanding is on the right track. They are common in the wild around these parts.

I have one that was born in February and he is just on 2ft now.......So that will give you an idea of how small yours is for its age if the age is correct. In the wild they are a generally docile snake - many local herpers who come across them state they are usually able to handle them wild without a lot of difficulty.

From the research I did when I got mine I believe they are a relatively hardy breed, generally placid and a relatively easy species to keep. A lot of people around here keep them in outside aviaries due to them being a native to this area they do not have the requirements of other breeds in terms of additional heating etc....

Yours may be a little flighty due to hunger, or it may not have been given a particularly loving environment with which to grow up in. It will be like most snakes....They can either stay flighty or calm down with regular handling, feeding, and sound husbandry. If it is underfed it may well calm down a lot with a few good regular feeds.
It may also have underlying health issues causing it to not feed properly so OP please beware.

Hmm, that would explain why you were calling her 'stunted' then. It's nothing to do with her genes as all clutchmates from the past 4 years have grown at a normal rate, but simply a case of not being fed enough.

Hmm, that would explain why you were calling her 'stunted' then. It's nothing to do with her genes as all clutchmates from the past 4 years have grown at a normal rate, but simply a case of not being fed enough.
Yeah, I figured that out after I thought about it lol.
You've probably known what's been going on for me over the past few months VIA my facebook Vix.

Yeah, I figured that out after I thought about it lol.
You've probably known what's been going on for me over the past few months VIA my facebook Vix.
I guess that you are doing the best thing by the snake by giving it up if you can't afford to feed it, that must be hard for you.

I agree you're doing the right thing by moving her on - but to be in such a state at 2.5 years of age is a little disheartening to hear, shouldn't this have been done a little sooner rather than letting the snake suffer if you couldn't afford to feed it?

As I said, I am not going through the best mindstate, trying to stay alive is hard enough to deal with, I won't go into details, but I pretty much became a hermit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back