Has anyone ever learned the hard way?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

B_STATS

Just a thought, no need for details. No flaming allowed and all that but has anyone at any point in their reptile keeping hobby ever learned the hard way and suffered a loss or injury because of it? I'll admit when I was a teenager I made all kinds of mistakes. Some still bother me. I guess we all just learn and strive to do better right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think everyone would've learned a lesson the hard way. Both resulting in injury to themselves, and unfortunately injury or death to an animal.

When I bought my first set of Varanus tristis, I learned very quickly they were not as amenable to handling as the other monitors I kept at the time, and they are in fact really good biters!

Another husbandry lesson I learned was that an open-topped pit with 1.5m high fencing is not always enough to keep Lace Monitors in. I'd kept a large male in such a pit for months before getting the chance to purchase a Bells Phase breeding female. She did not like to stay put, whereas the male was a lot more laid back. I discovered one day that she was nowhere to be seen, only to find her hours later wedged down the gaps in a bessa block retaining wall of my next door neighbour. She was not happy to come out. But it taught me a lot of things (and cost me a bit of cash to put an aviary style top over the pit).

The hardest lesson I learned was that such an aviary top will not stop thieves from getting to an animal if they want it. Trust is a big issue for me in the herp game, and I sold my entire collection not long after that theft, partly because of the theft.

When I started catching and keeping in the 50s, it was ALL done the hard way - and I inflicted all sorts of horrible things on the the animals in my care. Treatment for mites and various infections (RI, stomatitis etc) was pretty much non-existant, and the availability of info on reptile management was nil. We only had lights for heat, so the range of options now is enormous...

Jamie

My latest blunder was a heat mat malfunctioning and shattering the bottom of a glass enclosure. Thank God I had it on the outside and substrate above. The heat mats I use usually stay a stable 40C which gets the area I want to heat around 34C max so I tend not to use thermostats for them. This one sucked.

I had a caring blunder a few years back (also a heat matt overheating)and ended up moving my first python on until I could afford all the required bits and pieces (got a job two years later, was only 13/14 at the time). (Didn't know then about click clacks, and because it was gift from parents getting a thermostat and proper heating wasn't really an option, I didn't have the money and they didn't think it was necessary) Now I make sure I have everything ready before I get the snake and do a lot of research.
I'm sure everyone makes mistakes, all we can do is learn from them.

If you never learned the hard way I can only assume you haven't learned at all. From learning to walk to finding the right work, partner what ever we have all fallen flat once. If you haven't ....someone is serving u life on a silver platter

I learnt the hard way with my 1st python.. My best friend told me pretty much everything he could to get me started and was always the person I went to for advice as he was the only reptile keeper I knew at the time, when my friend passed away I was on my own and continued to feed my python like a hatchy, but giving him adult rats as I didnt know any different.. my poor baby died of some fatty liver issue, I cried for days and days!!!

Lesson learnt! Spool's ashes, the reminder to ask if I'm not 100% sure is now sitting on my tv cabinet

Sent from my GT-N7000

When I started catching and keeping in the 50s, it was ALL done the hard way - and I inflicted all sorts of horrible things on the the animals in my care. Treatment for mites and various infections (RI, stomatitis etc) was pretty much non-existant, and the availability of info on reptile management was nil. We only had lights for heat, so the range of options now is enormous...

Jamie
My brother (9) and I(7) caught wild and had little idea of what to do once we got them home , the biggest self taught lesson was not to keep bearded dragons inside unless I a secure enclosure , 7 running around the house and 1 mother screaming :lol:. Luckily we found a good friend by writing (pen and paper , for the young ones ) to Eric Worrel from the Reptile park at Ourimbah , and his many replies and even a free book .

I think everyone would've learned a lesson the hard way. Both resulting in injury to themselves, and unfortunately injury or death to an animal.

When I bought my first set of Varanus tristis, I learned very quickly they were not as amenable to handling as the other monitors I kept at the time, and they are in fact really good biters!

Another husbandry lesson I learned was that an open-topped pit with 1.5m high fencing is not always enough to keep Lace Monitors in. I'd kept a large male in such a pit for months before getting the chance to purchase a Bells Phase breeding female. She did not like to stay put, whereas the male was a lot more laid back. I discovered one day that she was nowhere to be seen, only to find her hours later wedged down the gaps in a bessa block retaining wall of my next door neighbour. She was not happy to come out. But it taught me a lot of things (and cost me a bit of cash to put an aviary style top over the pit).

The hardest lesson I learned was that such an aviary top will not stop thieves from getting to an animal if they want it. Trust is a big issue for me in the herp game, and I sold my entire collection not long after that theft, partly because of the theft.

Wow sorry to hear that mate :(

Well I have learnt alot just this past year.
Do not trust people in the reptile industry unless you have dealt with them many many times, just because they are on APS does not mean you can trust everyone.

Also just because you are buying from a well known breeder does not mean that your animal is extremely healthy.
Also that there seems to be alot of neuro that happens in animals that people are saying would be a good beginner something or rather.

Have learnt alot, most of it very sad things as my herps are my pets not just a breeding project.

I keep a variety of lizards & these forums have been a real life saver thanks to the countless amount of experienced keepers sharing their wealth of knowledge...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back