Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the warning along the lines of "if I chose a value smaller than the minimum width ensure it is no smaller than 20% of the length of the snake".

In the case I entered I did not touch the minimum width....I entered Diamond Python and 3 metre length at the top. I left the width set at its 'minimum' (as a noob I would assume that it is a minimum and allowable) and just entered lengths until I got a green box - The red warning box came up but in my case (thinking a like a person who does not understand the CoP's) would read it and assume it did not apply because I did not alter (or lower) the min width.

What about instead of the red warning box - A field is added calculating the max length snake permitted for the width entered? That way if I were trying to determine a permitted size to build an enclosure fro my snake I then get full disclosure of what I am doing - IE: I get a green box for Dimension abc x abc so I know the area complies - and a stated length telling me the max length snake for those dimensions? I could then play with the dimensions to get more allowable length or reduce if required. I think this calc will be the most used as people will enter their current dimensions to see if they comply, and will use it to plan new enclosures so having it display the maximim allowable snake length would be a good idea.

Not sure how to tackle the issue of climbers/terrestrials and floor/wall areas - Any calculator will be likely used by people who don't understand the CoPs (otherwise they would just grab a calculator) so assuming they will know (and understand) when to apply height instead of width could be a bit dicey. I have no real suggestions other requiring entry of full dimensions and using some logic and formula's to apply the appropriate ones.....but then it starts to get tricky to set up.

I appreciate the time you have put into this, and please don't see me as a 'knocker' - Part of my day job is to write technical specs for software then try to break it when it is coded so it is in my nature to try to break things. If I had the time I have resources around me that would likely allow me to set something up in a web based page to do it which would allow for a lot more options in terms of calculating and displaying data - I just don't have the bandwidth to do it and understand the time and effort you have afforded to get it to where you have.

just a question I am hopeless with all this stuff to so I was wondering can I keep an adult tanami woma in an enclosure wich is 56cm high, 56cm width, and 90cm long ? sorry for being a pain

just a question I am hopeless with all this stuff to so I was wondering can I keep an adult tanami woma in an enclosure wich is 56cm high, 56cm width, and 90cm long ? sorry for being a pain

According to the spreadsheet you can.
I put in that it would grow to 1.8.

Floor area (floor area is used as Woma is not a classified climbing species) of enclosure is .504mSq which is larger than the minimum required of Class C at 0.4mSq so it well and truly complies in this area. Calculated by multiplying Length x Width - 0.9 x 0.56 = 0.504

Smallest floor dimension is 560mm - Which must be no smaller than 20% of the largest snake held within. If you multiple .560 x 5 you get 2.8 metres - So the longest snake you can house is 2.8 metres. 20% is equal to 1 fifth of 100% so multiplying the narrowest floor measurement by 5 gives you the max length of the snake.

In summary - you enclosure is larger than the minimum required, and is legal for a Woma providing it does not exceed 2.8 metres in length.

Last edited:
Is there anyway that a moderator could pin??? this thread/post/spreadsheet somewhere like "note worthy threads" as a resource?

Rest assured, the APS Staff have been in touch with Sax in regard to this matter.

Just had a look at the spreadsheet, I didn't even know excel had the option to create drop down menus, the more you know! It's easy to use and removes a lot of confusion in trying to calculate potential enclosure sizes (or to determine if the current enclosure is up to par). I'm glad to know that my enclosure plans are nearly double the minimum required, so I have room adjust measurements if necessary. Thank you for taking the time to create this!

Hello again everyone,

So I worked over the weekend to make some reasonably major changes to the way it works. As Rob eluded to, the mods would like me to publish it in a new thread once everyone is happy with it. Unfortunately my friend Bart hasn't responded to my request to have a look for me so I'm going to post it here again.
This is a summary of the changes I made:

- If an entered dimension is too small for the chosen animal length, it doesn't give a red warning but rather informs the person that it is not suitable and displays the size of the largest animal they can house.
- If the animal length is left as 0 it also displays the largest animal allowed for the entered dimensions. This means people can use it like the example described where a person can find the largest allowable animal from a known size piece of furniture or enclosure. This may be useful for people who are looking at buying a cabinet rather than for those building their own.
- I still haven't included a third dimension because I don't believe the extra effort involved and complexity it adds would be worth it for the number of people who may benefit from its addition. I have, however, made it so the title changes to say "height or width" for climbers. This does leave it open for a potential error where the height may be used but the width dimension is smaller than the allowed minimum (only floor dimensions matter for 4.2.1.1, 4.3.1.1 and 4.4.1.3) but, once again, for the number of people who may be affected by this, I don't see it as being worth the extra work. Do people agree that this is an acceptable scenario?

Once again, all feedback is welcome and the more input I get to improve it, the better this will be as a community resource. I am happy to listen to any suggestions on layout and/or colours too. When making things like this, I've always used yellow for input, blue for calculations and green/red for pass/fail but I don't know if it looks ugly.
Thanks
Dan

Hey Dan, I was happy with the last one, I was happy with the first one and I am happy with this one. Maybe I'm just easy to please. Call me a cynic but good luck getting everyone to agree on it. Good job yet again, you are a far better man than I with your patience:(

I had a look at a version put up and it is pretty good although it shows just how silly the enclosure sizes need to be for monitors like ackies and tristis.

Hey Saximus, I just had a quick play with the calculator and think you`ve done an excellent job. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back