I suppose it was always going to happen

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

solar 17

l have had direct contact with some reptile ppl in the states (USA) with concerns about Chinese bred,frozen and Irradiated rodents appearing in pet shops with most of the early reports about them being "VERY ORDINARY" as a food for growth and the well being of the recipients.
Apparently what bought this import on was a severe problem with two of the bigger suppliers of frozen rodents but l guess economics was a player as well as there will always be ppl around that put a dash of quality with a large serve of economics and lets face it if a rodent (frozen) is well presented who knows where its origins may have been, and there are ppl around here NOW who imo serve up questionable quality rodents with living getting tighter and tighter by the week it will be a ongoing problem l believe, below is a "BRIEF" idea of how irradaiation works.
lonizing Radiation is a dose just large enough to scramble the dna of the targeted microorganisms and prevent their maturation or developement so preventing their outbreak or developemnt of deseases "THE DEBATE" by some ppl is how much is enough and does any of the radiation carry over/on, l DON'T profess to know these answers plus IMO they are personal and highly emotive to some ppl....solar 17 Baden

Well Baden I guess you'll never know unless they get tested.
Are they here in Aus?

First I've heard of this. I know about 6 months or so ago one of the largest rodent producers shops had a major set back. If I remember correctly they had to destroy their supply, thus causing a huge shortage here.

I know they "gassed" their stock.

So you are saying that someone told you people are importing from China rats and mice that have been nuked? I'll ask my suppliers if they know anything about this (just in a few hours) and get back to ya.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

What were the severe problems and major setbacks with these big suppliers.

This happened in May of last year mind you.

They were diseased. Diseased with Lymphotic Choriomeningitis. They had to destroy 70% of their stock if I remember correctly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I doubt that the Australian market would be of sufficient size to bother with the bearocratic processes involved in establishing the necessary import protocol.The aim of such protocols is to minimise any biological risk from importing whole animals from countries known to have diseases not present in Australia such as rabies and foot and mouth.

FYI

I'm a scientist at a major medical institute and irradiate mice and also rats(live). These rodents develope white hair almost instantly and don't live more than a few months. I get access and offered literally hundreds of free snake food but have never been game enough to feed these to my reptiles.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back