So , Do any NSW pet stores have Herps for sale yet ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so Second pet store close to me has its herp license , they only got it late Friday but have a few animals in store and they all look good . A few adult snakes and CBD's and lots of Hatchie's :)

Ok so Second pet store close to me has its herp license , they only got it late Friday but have a few animals in store and they all look good . A few adult snakes and CBD's and lots of Hatchie's :)

Is that the one in Liverpool ?

Theres one near me who has had there set up for a few weeks now. Decent set up animals look healthy prices are out there with most of them but they have always been very pricey. Understand that they need to pay overheads but sometimes you wonder about paying 4 to 5 times what you would a breeder. Anyway I buy equipment both of them and online based on circumstances. Gotta say they do have a nice setup will be interesting to see if they move their hatchies up to a larger size enclosure when the time comes.

i'd probably buy from a pet shop if i thought the animal was priced fairly and got good advice from the people working there as far as how to properly care for them, just helpful things and a good vet recommendation, although i haven't seen any in stores that seem cheap, the only snakes sold in stores here seem to be spotted pythons and childrens pythons for $400 which isn't too much variety for a start haha but also found breeders and other people in my area selling snakes for a quarter of the price or less. guess it comes down to the convenience of finding them at a store with everything you'll need or hunting for breeders. someone mentioned snake pedigree history etc available at the pet stores, i really never knew people got caught up in that with snakes, i just think they're all awesome and just such an interesting creature :)

Don't know if any are and really couldn't give a toss , I'll never buy my reptiles or much other than pet foods from a pet shop.

I don't like having middle men between me and the producer (private breeder in this case), that only results in a price increase and pressure on breeders by big franchised pet shop chains for them to produce more and more animals , while they use their market strength to force them to reduce the price the sell to them for, none of which are good for the hobby IMO..

I'd be very concerned for the welfare of herps stocked by pet shops.

Last edited:
Our local shop wasn't bothering to get their licence until their reptiles started breeding. It costs a lot for a years licence while they will only have stock for a few months.

Working at a zoo I've had a lot of visitors asking me advice on getting their first reptile, and almost all of them had already decided that they would rather buy from a petshop then from a private breeder.
I don't think breeders have to much to worry about. After buying their first reptile from a shop they will most likely end up on a forum or at an expo where they will meet a private breeder for their second animal.
As for the petshop reptile's health, I'm sure shops will have to maintain a high level of care as they will be under a lot of scrutiny from the community if not the government.
Only time will tell though.

Our local shop wasn't bothering to get their licence until their reptiles started breeding. It costs a lot for a years licence while they will only have stock for a few months.

Working at a zoo I've had a lot of visitors asking me advice on getting their first reptile, and almost all of them had already decided that they would rather buy from a petshop then from a private breeder.
I don't think breeders have to much to worry about. After buying their first reptile from a shop they will most likely end up on a forum or at an expo where they will meet a private breeder for their second animal.
As for the petshop reptile's health, I'm sure shops will have to maintain a high level of care as they will be under a lot of scrutiny from the community if not the government.
Only time will tell though.

I am pretty sure that both of the stores I have been to are Major Breeders themselves , and even had a bit to do with our new rules and regulations ( and I do know that they were not listened to all that much by the regulators ) . Having such a limited variety to offer inside their stores there may still be dealings done in the carparks .
Unless there is another agenda behind all of this -- to remove many species from the hobby altogether :lol: ( conspiracy theory number 1) :rolleyes:

Dont buy from pet shops , they put a huge mark up on the pricing of live reps and all accessories , buy form a well know breeder and all your other bits buy from ebay , or forums you will get a much better buy , used to be a sales rep for the pet industry for years sulling reptile, fish and other pet stuff, and you wouldnt believe how cheap they actually buy the stuff for

TELL ME ABOUT IT.
I paid $75 for a 15x14cm heat mat, then found the same one on ebay for $16.

While we are at it lets stop farming because the farmers pay so little for seeds then sell the produce for more, how dare they!!! Or stop manufacturing because the base materials are cheaper than the finished product.

A store is the same thing except instead of making something the added value comes from customer service and knowledge. They have to charge more because the have to pay wages, transport, rent and bills.
You cant compare the two at all... one business creates something, the other acts as a middle man to distribute locally. Now since our society itself is advancing and we have things like the internet where we can cancel out the middle man, why not do it? Do you email? SHAME ON YOU FOR NOT HANDWRITING AND MAILING YOUR COMMUNICATION.

Pet shops with customer service and knowledge? There may be a handful that actually exist.

Don't want to sound mean, but thats the reality of it.

TELL ME ABOUT IT.
I paid $75 for a 15x14cm heat mat, then found the same one on ebay for $16.

Totally ripped off, I bought one similar size from a shop, admittedly a couple of years ago, for about $25. You`ll quickly learn to check for a cheaper price than a pet shop before you buy anything.

Yes Extreme Pets are now selling reptiles Licence has arrived.
Just keep in mind National Parks are only allowing 15 species of reptiles so dont expect to see all kinds check National Parks website for Listing.

Dont buy from pet shops , they put a huge mark up on the pricing of live reps and all accessories , buy form a well know breeder and all your other bits buy from ebay , or forums you will get a much better buy , used to be a sales rep for the pet industry for years sulling reptile, fish and other pet stuff, and you wouldnt believe how cheap they actually buy the stuff for

You really dont get it do you!!!
All stores wether they sell pets or coffee machines, you are forgetting that we have wages, insurances, super, gst ( on all animals when we sell them , but we dont buy them and the breeders pay tax) electricty, phones, rent and many more other hidden costs that go on behind the sence, so alot of us are just making ends meet.

I would love to see you run your own business, I bet you would mark products up.

And on another topic I purchased a DVR online and have a problem with the product, I have emailed the company abou 5 times in the last week and have no reply there is no phone number, so now i have to throw that product in the bin and I am out of pocket the cost of that product as I now have to buy a new DVR to replace the one I brought online. Should have gone to a shop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boyd boy
You really dont get it do you!!!
ll stores wether they sell pets or coffee machines, you are forgetting that we have
wages, insurances, super, gst ( on all animals when we sell them , but we dont buy them and the breeders pay tax) electricty, phones, rent and many more other hidden costs that go on behind the sence, so alot of us are just making ends meet.
I would love to see you run your own business, I bet you would mark products up.
And on another topic I purchased a DVR online and have a problem with the product, I have emailed the company abou 5 times in the last week and have no reply there is no phone number, so now i have to throw that product in the bin and I am out of pocket the cost of that product as I now have to buy a new DVR to replace the one I brought online. Should have gone to a shop.

Well said. I guess it comes back down to what people are willing to buy or sell for.

If a breeder off loads 15 hatchies to a shop at $100 an the shop then sells them for $250, who is getting riped off? The feeds inbetween sale of these animals alone would make the margin alot smaller unless the shop managed to sell then quickly. So if the store gets stuck with 4 hatchies that dont sell it will start costing money.

The breeder got the quick cash an did not have to pay the costs of these feeds. Maybe the breeder actually got a good deal :)

If you dont want to buy from a store then dont, but i doubt the breeder will off load them as cheap as they did to the store.

Rick

I prefer to buy from private breeders as I have been left bewildered by certain local petshops due to poor service, poor product knowledge and shakey advice when I was starting out. I understand the need for marking up to cover running costs but I don't see the need for some excessively overinflated prices. It seems to be more and more the case these days that some people don't want to climb the ladder to success but mug the poor bugger holding it and getting a cherrypicker. Good on the businesses that do it right but I see why people become skeptical about 200%+ markups. I still buy from petshops on certain things but I cruise the net and often bypass the middleman.

I prefer to buy from private breeders as I have been left bewildered by certain local petshops due to poor service, poor product knowledge and shakey advice when I was starting out. I understand the need for marking up to cover running costs but I don't see the need for some excessively overinflated prices. It seems to be more and more the case these days that some people don't want to climb the ladder to success but mug the poor bugger holding it and getting a cherrypicker. Good on the businesses that do it right but I see why people become skeptical about 200%+ markups. I still buy from petshops on certain things but I cruise the net and often bypass the middleman.

Plus you are in with a chance of seeing hatchie's mum and dad too, and the breeder will be more interested in helping if you need help.

Such as proper quarantine procedures, full shed and feed history, pedigree history and being able to see the parents if need be?
really??? breeders don't allow people to see breeding animals in person for quarantine issues

Plus you are in with a chance of seeing hatchie's mum and dad too, and the breeder will be more interested in helping if you need help.

Guys just pop on down to Extreme , they even HAVE the Parents in store for you to see . I think the only reason you need to buy outside of a pet store is to obtain an animal NOT available in store . is Stimson's

Personally I HATE pet shops ,every time I go there to buy my animal needs I am harassed for the whole time , I receive the information if any that I need , I can see and touch the products I want , and I really don't feel like I am being Ripped off .
The harassing is from my daughter to buy a dog/cat/rabbit/turtle/snake/lizard or anything fluffy that's in store on the day :lol:her fav quote == " Its SO FLUFFY I COULD DIE
":lol:

I am sure some people feel reassured by dealing with pet shop with long term physical and financial commitment rather than a chance meeting with a faceless internet contact. After a few dissappointments and false alarms a $100 or so extra may be worth the peice of mind from knowing the seller will be readily available and contactable in the future.

i brought a rough scale python form a pet shop up here for $400 i got to pay it off and i don't see any huge mark ups on that
i got to handle the roughy for a few weeks before collecting or deciding if i wanted it
plus i only use that store so most of the time they look after me with any pricing
we also own a small business so we know how hard it is to make a profit. the way i sell stuff is through excellent customer service and product knowledge but alot of people dont care about that any more if they can import a inferior product for a cheaper price they will

we all expect to be payed an Aussie wage but don't like to spent it in our country to pay for the next wage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back