Heat Pad

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HerpNthusiast

Reaction score
Hey my mum says my brother and I can get another species of gecko and I really would like a marbled velvet or smooth knob-tail or another type of knob tail but in order to keep these gorgeous lizards I need a heat pad a friend of mine says only a 5 watt heat pad will do but mum is worried that the electricity used will increase our bill and can you put heat pads in a click clack or tub when we go to our holiday house? Could anyone please answer these questions.

Last edited:
I havent really seen an increase in my power bill and all my snakes jave heat. Heat matt goes under click clqck/enclosure and plugged into a thermostat :)

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

If its on a thermostat no, when i first started with snakes i didnt use a thermostat (i knew no better) and even with the heatt matt running flat out i never jad problems. I would definately recommend a thermostat though.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

I have one but I might get a thermostat controlled heat mat from amazing amazon but if so could I just get a tub for the smooth knob tail and put a heat pad in it until I find a tank for it and can I transport them both down to our holiday house easily and could anyone post some pics of your smooth knob -tail set up.

I would put a tile between the heat mat and also use a thermostat. As for power usage you are charged roughly 22 cents per kilowatt hour. If you have a 5watt mat will draw 0.005 kilowatts every hour it is on. If you average 12 hours of being on it will draw 0.06 kilowatts per day and 21 kilowatts per year at 22 cents which will be about $4.62 a yeah. This figure will change a little if your mat is used more or less than 12 hours a day and if you use a thermostat there will be a minimal amount of usage from it.

Ok thank you so much andynic07 and is that a tile between the heat mat and the sand thanks.

I put the tile over the heat mat with an air gap to prevent overheating and then the click clack or glass enclosure on the tile with no gap.

If your folks are in a position to own a holiday home, a 5 watt heat mat isn't going to break the bank ;)

In Queensland it is not legal to take your reptiles on holiday.

I put the tile over the heat mat with an air gap to prevent overheating and then the click clack or glass enclosure on the tile with no gap.
I have used the same setup and the tile tends to act as a heat sink and retains the heat for longer. Good idea andynic07 I think it may have been you who suggested this to me, works a treat.

It was $4.26 for a year for 12 hours of the day so $8.52 if it was on 24 hours of the day. With a thermostat provided that the heat mat can get to the temperature provided it will not be on 24 hour a day.

There sort of things cost nothing. I got 2 4' fish tanks, both with external filters and 300 heaters that are always on and lights that sometimes go on all in the same billing period and was worried about our power bill. When we got it it was less than the previous one.
Using your air-con for an hour will cost pretty much the same as 200 hours of your little heat mat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back