Redback spider bite question...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pythoninfinite

I had the misfortune to be bitten on the little finger by a redback yesterday, around lunchtime, and by mid-afternoon the pain was so intense I took myself off the the ER at the local hospital (Poisons info told me the pain could last for days, and my finger felt like it was being crushed in a vice!!!). Was given Nurofen, and although I had a restless night, it helped quite a bit.

Now the pain in my finger has subsided quite a bit, but my hand and arm are sweating constantly, and I'm getting sharp pains (maybe 4/10) in my feet...

Has anyone else here had experience with redback bites? How long before these irritating effects go away? This was maybe the most consistently painful thing that's ever happened to me and I don't like it one bit!

Jamie

couple of days// I was violently sick but only a little pain.. drink water and take some Nurofen again.... Or Lots of bourbon..
Feel for u

Mmm, I had no nausea, just excruciating pain. They said if I felt nauseous I probably should get antivenom, but it hasn't happened. Wasn't even a big spider!

J

Mmm, I had no nausea, just excruciating pain. They said if I felt nauseous I probably should get antivenom, but it hasn't happened. Wasn't even a big spider!

J
My mate was bitten by a redback and he too had nausea. He was bitten in the afternoon at work and had a really restless night with sweating and nausea and went to hospital the next day, they said he was over the worst so did not administer any antivenom. He did not mention anything about pain in his feet and was bitten behind the knee. Hope you feel better and are you positive it was a redback?

My father was bitten by a redback some years ago. He said it felt like someone holding a hot soldering iron permanently on his finger where he was bitten. No mention of pain anywhere else. Better to be safe than sorry Jamie. Another trip to the ER or even a GP to see about the referred pain to your feet might be a good idea.

I've had the unfortunate experience of being bitten a few times. I certainly feel for you Jamie, the pain is terrible, and I am glad to hear things are on the improve. The worst of the symptoms were over after 3 days for me however other than sweating and localised pain I didn't experience any other reactions. You may however be experiencing pain in other regions of your body and this is a normal reaction. If you are experiencing pain that you believe is related to the bite occurring in other parts of your body that worsen or symptoms recur/develop then I would suggest seeking medical attention. If analgesics are effective in relieving the localised pain and generally you feel you are improving any negative effects of the envenomation should disappear if due course. Sweating, local pain, malaise are quite normal reactions, however I have never experienced pains in my feet, but venom from the Red Back spider has been known to cause tetany which causes muscle contraction in your abdomen, back and legs. If these symptoms persist, then you will most definitely need further medical treatment.

I hope you get well soon.

Regards

Wing_Nut

Thanks for that Wing_Nut - gee bitten a few times - it's my intention never to be bitten again!!!

I did go to Port Macquarie Base Hospital yesterday afternoon, and was assessed by the emergency medical staff as being a candidate for antivenom, as the symptoms were becoming generalised and analgesics weren't effective. So I was given an IV infusion of 2 ampoules of antivenom at 5.30, and monitored for 2 hours to ensure no serum reaction, and by 7.30 all symptoms had resolved - no pain or discomfort anywhere - quite remarkable!

My thanks to the staff at Wauchope and PMBH - they were all great! This morning is very different to yesterday morning :)!

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Hey! Really pleased to hear that mate. You had me worried there for a while. Did a little research and was all set to send you the results but could find your email. Then I realised I had not checked the times on the posts. So I thought I’d best do that and was greeted by your good news. I was going to say that despite the occurrence of very few other symptoms it sounded like you were developing a systemic reaction, which may well warrant administration of the antivenom... so take Snowman’s and Wingnut’s advice. Fortunately, no need.

My Grandpop used to grow plants using fruit and jam tins with the lids cut off. When not in use they sat under the house where they copped the afternoon sun. You could be assured of 20 plus redbacks when it was time to clean them up for use. We used to squish them with our thumbs. I would definitely have to question the wisdom of that technique.

Am really glad you are OK. Hopefully never to be repeated.

Cheers mate,
Mike

Just be mindful that you might start climbing vertical walls and develop a craving for flies and other small insects.

Just be mindful that you might start climbing vertical walls and develop a craving for flies and other small insects.

Ha! I think my front teeth are already changing shape and the stripe down my back is going from yellow to red already! It was horse serum, so I'm hoping for a few bits to become more horse-like as well...

J

Ha! I think my front teeth are already changing shape and the stripe down my back is going from yellow to red already! It was horse serum, so I'm hoping for a few bits to become more horse-like as well...

J

Just be careful what you wish for!!

Glad to here that you came good. Just goes to show that you can never be too careful when dealing with venom. While we are on the red back subject I can't really think of the last time that I have seen a red back. I used to see them a lot up until about 10 years ago, I wonder if the Asian house gecko has something to do with that?

Speaking of Asian House Geckos, I was working in a psych practice (as a receptionist!!!) last week in Port Macquarie, and I heard an AHG chirping in the building. The first I've heard down here - does anyone know if they're well established here?

J

Glad to here that you came good. Just goes to show that you can never be too careful when dealing with venom. While we are on the red back subject I can't really think of the last time that I have seen a red back. I used to see them a lot up until about 10 years ago, I wonder if the Asian house gecko has something to do with that?

Unfortunately I have recently come across them... fortunately didn't get bitten. Now, where do I get my hands on an Asian house gecko ;)

I got bitten in yr6 when I was just helping the little kids(kindy, yr1) found it next to the sandpit and one of the curious little kids was going to touch it, so I went to squish it, then it got me..... was rather painful and when I told my teacher she said "it couldn't have been a redback cause if it was id be laying on the ground dead..." lol!!! I did start to feel abit sick later and it did hurt... alot! it was sore for a few days, but I best remember it from what my teacher said!!!! doubt i'll ever forget that!

Years ago I was bitten by "something" on the sole of my left foot and I will always remember the fearsome pain....

bite site was horrific....aches all over....sweating....hot rushes/flushes...absolutely R.S. like the flu without breathing difficulties.

Tim Nias thought it was def. a redback spider bite and told me to get to the doctor...asap....LOL

I am still here thanks to fresh air and faith....next time I won't ride it out

I couldn't wear any type of foot wear for months as my ankle joint took ages to return to normal and stumbled around like peg leg Pete.

If you get bitten by anything just go and get it checked out

In 2001 I was bitten on the left side of my neck by a Redback whose abdomen was half the size of a grain of rice.The initial bite was terrible (7/10) but then the pain spread out - up to the midline of my scalp, forward to my nose and down to mid chest level just on the left side... lasted for 4 days. The pain changed from the initial acute localised pain to a 'burn' over the whole area.
If I had known to apply ice to the bite (not known then) I reckon I could have saved myself the agony. I lived 100+ kms from the nearest medical treatment so just took painkillers and waited it out.

One must be specific when .... wishing/hoping.... as one could end up with the udder of a broodmare :p

Eww... I didn't think of that... I hope my serum came from a stallion lol!

The doctors say that the symptons can be almost anything from severe pain to sweating to other wierd pains, and rarely is there any sign of a bite - no red marks, no swelling, nothing... And to think I put it on a stick and took it outside to let it go when I found it... I think a burnoff of the area is in order!

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back