Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Brett, I really hope to breed some womas this year. The hatchlings are so cute! I have had no problem with Darwins, so I have reasonable hope.

Yes, I incubate over water with the Darwins, but I know you had a disaster with that one year, so I am planning on using perlite. Of course, no point buying that until she has a prelay shed and looks like an inflated balloon....

This is my male hatchy and the my female who is coming up to 3. Love these guys,such great personalities. 22.06 (8).jpg22.10 (10).jpg

Yes, I incubate over water with the Darwins, but I know you had a disaster with that one year, so I am planning on using perlite. Of course, no point buying that until she has a prelay shed and looks like an inflated balloon....

I'd still do your Darwin's over water as you've had success with that method and it works for you. I do my Darwin's over a perlite slushy. Similar principle to h20 method..

But the woma's get the .08:1 ratio (80g medium/100g h20) with perlite. just love the stuff.

Nice animals there nasool

I think everyone should stick with what works for them. For myself, I prefer my woma eggs have some thermal mass contact so I don't use the plastic grate method. Perlite is good stuff, it is not hydroscopic like vermiculite is. For example, in a humidified incubator, woma eggs placed in an egg container in bone dry perlite will not overly dry out the eggs even if they are completely buried in it except for a small window on the top of the eggs. The dry perlite actually protects the eggs from dessication. The normal process of water loss from the eggs creates a humid micro environment for each egg in the surrounding perlite.

So what your saying Brad is that you don't add water to your perlite at all???

Never really thought about that before. Interesting and food for thought.

you get good results from this method.

Yeah Brett, exactly. Works for me! Keeps the temps around the eggs very stable.

Over water works fine for me although i dont use an air tight lid, it has a small amount of air gap around the edge and I drill 1mm holes in the perspex lid to reduce condensation on the lid. 31.5 deg.
Interesting technique with perlite only.

Aaron

Yeah Brett, exactly. Works for me! Keeps the temps around the eggs very stable.

Nice I like the theory and like to learn new things and idea's.

Shame I don't keep childreni anymore.
I used to try different incubation idea's with them. So if it wasn't successful it didn't really concern me (sorry childreni lovers)
But I did learn a lot a value things.....

Last edited:
I plan to keep the Darwins over water (don't mess with success), but will use perlite for the womas. With the Darwins I put a little bed of perlite over the rack they sit on to keep the eggs stable. It is very useful stuff!

I will be adopting the good ole fashioned K.I.S.S. method for my first foray into breeding. Considering I'm stupid, I'll keep it simple using the proven methods of my peers above.

I think everyone should stick with what works for them. For myself, I prefer my woma eggs have some thermal mass contact so I don't use the plastic grate method. Perlite is good stuff, it is not hydroscopic like vermiculite is. For example, in a humidified incubator, woma eggs placed in an egg container in bone dry perlite will not overly dry out the eggs even if they are completely buried in it except for a small window on the top of the eggs. The dry perlite actually protects the eggs from dessication. The normal process of water loss from the eggs creates a humid micro environment for each egg in the surrounding perlite.

Brad, out of curiosity...are you using a lid on the egg container?
I incubated a few BHP eggs simular to your method and had good success as well. I used a very "holy" lid with a humid incubator.

D

Brad, out of curiosity...are you using a lid on the egg container?
I incubated a few BHP eggs simular to your method and had good success as well. I used a very "holy" lid with a humid incubator.

D

Howdy Derek,

Yes I do use a lid. It's not particularly tight fitting lid it only snaps on each end.

Here is my last egg box of the season, these eggs are due to hatch any time now. They were buried in bone dry perlite. I produced some killer animals this year here are a couple more photos.

Attachments

• woma eggs.jpg
    woma eggs.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 20130612_160434.jpg
    20130612_160434.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 154
  • 20130612_155338.jpg
    20130612_155338.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 198
Out of curiosity Boondocker does it change the incubation timeframe using your method?
Not heard of anyone in Aus using this method like you guys from the states.
But obviously you get good results.

Brett I'm not aware of anyone using my method in the states, this is the first time I've ever mentioned how I do it. But yes, the eggs hatch sooner, they are nice and warm buried in the perlite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back