Red light and reptiles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NickGeee

Reaction score
Can lizards see red light, so could I look at my geckos under a red light and not disturb them?

Thanks!

Yes they can see red. I use a 25w blue party for view my geckos an frogs, it is a very dim light and doesnt seem to effect them at all.

Rick

Thanks, must be inverts that can't see red or something.

Most people say lizards cant see red but it does disturb some have an infrared globe on 24/7 for heat.

I find a dim blue light to immitate the moon a litter better then a red. I have also read it is a good idea to have a couple nights a month with no light to immitate the cycle of the moon.

Rick

I don't know if they can see red light or not but I know I can and it looks terrible!

I think there is a difference between 'Red' light and 'Infra-Red' light.

Can't recall where I read it now or the full details on it, but I recall it was 'infra-red' light that was not visible whereby red light was - Infra-Red is a longer wavelength and outside the normal visible spectrum.

The article I was reading mentioned that many people think it is one and the same. Can't validate if it is factual or not though.

You can not see infra red and a red light is not infra red. I believe reptiles do not see red as well with the makeup of their eyes but can still see it. It is more to do with the brightness of the light , red and blue are not as bright.

You can not see infra red and a red light is not infra red. I believe reptiles do not see red as well with the makeup of their eyes but can still see it. It is more to do with the brightness of the light , red and blue are not as bright.
years ago I had a setup with zoo-med day(blue) & night (red)lights with a switch between for some reps that had nocturnal movements,but now I only have beardies so I don't have any night lights because it only disturbs them

So would it be correct to say that a true infra-red globe does not emit visible light to herps, but a red globe does to a degree depending upon intensity?

I am guessing that this is where the 'red light is invisible' concept may be coming from due to people mixing up red light in infra-red light.

I think there is a difference between 'Red' light and 'Infra-Red' light.

Can't recall where I read it now or the full details on it, but I recall it was 'infra-red' light that was not visible whereby red light was - Infra-Red is a longer wavelength and outside the normal visible spectrum.

The article I was reading mentioned that many people think it is one and the same. Can't validate if it is factual or not though.

100% agree. Infra-red is not visible to human eyes so heating elements like che are the only try infra-red lamps.

Red lamps are marketed for the purpose of producing high Infra-red in a lamp that produces light in a shade dimmer then a white globe.

Anyone that trys to deny a reptile can see red light needs to get out from under their rock, there are many account of people have animals that wont sleep or have a disturbed sleep due to the light from an "Infra-red night light".

y3u4a7aq.jpg

jy3ujuqu.jpg

Rick

Last edited:
100% agree. Infra-red is not visible to human eyes so heating elements like che are the only try infra-red lamps.

Red lamps are marketed for the purpose of producing high Infra-red in a lamp that produces light in a shade dimmer then a white globe.

Anyone that trys to deny a reptile can see red light needs to get out from under their rock, there are many account of people have animals that wont sleep or have a disturbed sleep due to the light from an "Infra-red night light".Rick
Very good post Rick and this is what I am basing my thoughts on but I have read a very small amount on the actual physical make up of reptiles eyes and they a little different to human eyes but from what I can gather they can still see red. Here is one of the short articles talking about reptiles eyes but there was also a really long and complex one which went into things a bit more.

Reptile Vision

Thanks
Andy

I use blue as red makes my shed look like a brothel!

Yep lol. I dont have a blind inside my reptile room an the red light would shine out my front windows, im sure i would get door knockers lol.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back