Adopting The Brat.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher69

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this may be a strange question to ask in a forum such as this but I can't seem to find the right answer or be pointed in the right direction so far...

Basically my partner (now an ex of 2 months) was pregnant when I first met her to someone else. The guy wanted nothing to do with the child & suffice to say, 7 years later, I've helped raise the child & called him my own since the day he was born.

Anyway, with my ex-partner's consent, I'm trying to adopt the kid & legally be his father.
I want the law to recognise that if anything were to happen to the mother, I would be legally entitled to raise the child on my own rather than the mother's family getting involved.

Honestly, there's no animosity in this situation, my ex & I just grew apart & we just want the best for the little kid.

My question is: What governing body/agency should I be talking to?
Is adoption actually the right term in this case?

Neither friends or Google can point me in the right direction to take this matter legally further.

Cheers in advance.

Yes adopting would be the right way to go and the first people I would call (assuming you're in NSW) is Births, Deaths & Marriages. Even if they can't help you there, they definitely would know where you should go.

Best of luck :)

Cheers.
Yeah I've only checked their website but saw no mention of adoption services/issues...will try again.
It's difficult to use the phone at work.

Phone your local court house and they will point you in the right direction :)

Phone your local court house and they will point you in the right direction :)

The following is NOT to be taken seriously Delete it if it offends !!please
Yes that would be an interesting call if it was anything like the thread tittle using the facts provided " Hi , I would like to know how to adopt a brat of a kid that's not mine , just in case his mum dies I don't want it near her family "

OOOPs

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh not offended.

Yeah I think Births, Deaths & Marriages is possibly the right governing body.
They have a link to FACS (family & community services) regarding adoptions.

:lol: ^

Its probably a good idea just to ask them what the adoption process is and who to contact about it rather than go into detail about the brat, the amicable ex and the monster ex-inlaws ;) lol just sayin :p

The following is NOT to be taken seriously Delete it if it offends !!please
" Hi , I would like to know how to adopt a brat of a kid that's not mine , just in case his mum dies I don't want it near her family "

At least I'm not trying to swap him for a GTP on this forum.

:lol: ^

Its probably a good idea just to ask them what the adoption process is and who to contact about it rather than go into detail about the brat, the amicable ex and the monster ex-inlaws ;) lol just sayin :p

Totally understand about tentatively asking the process first then going into detail...
I guess it's just like writing a will...wanting to be prepared for a worse case scenario.
But yeah honestly I can't stress that there is no bad or negative feelings between the ex & I or me towards her family...they just live far away.

Totally understand about tentatively asking the process first then going into detail...
I guess it's just like writing a will...wanting to be prepared for a worse case scenario.
But yeah honestly I can't stress that there is no bad or negative feelings between the ex & I or me towards her family...they just live far away.
It is an adoption process that you require and this will free the father of any obligations towards his child (child support) , my brother-in-law is looking at the same process at the moment. I can ask him who he has spoken to about it if you like.

I think your biggest hurdle will be the fact that you are no longer with 'brats' mum. And the natural father does normally need to sign consent to.
Your heart is in the right place I wish you lots of luck.

Apparently it is done through the courts and my brother-in-law said that he can't legally do it because the fathers parents still have a part in his sons life and if the adoption was to take place they would not have that right.

Apparently it is done through the courts and my brother-in-law said that he can't legally do it because the fathers parents still have a part in his sons life and if the adoption was to take place they would not have that right.

I'm wondering if the courts look at different circumstances or if it's just a black & white, by the rule book decision.

I mean I met my ex when she was already 3 months pregnant & stuck by her & raise the kid as my own ever since. Not once has the biological father or his family made any attempt at contact or inteterest in the child's well being.

I'm wondering if the courts look at different circumstances or if it's just a black & white, by the rule book decision.

I mean I met my ex when she was already 3 months pregnant & stuck by her & raise the kid as my own ever since. Not once has the biological father or his family made any attempt at contact or interest in the child's well being.
That probably helps. With my brother-in-laws case he met his wife when his son was maybe one and he is now seven , the father never had anything to do with Ethan but the grandparents insisted on visitation (about once every few months) which has been a good thing but is now preventing the adoption process. It is definitely worth doing your own investigations into it but I think with government decisions they are always black and white and don't like making case by case decisions. Good luck.

What's on the brat's birth certificate?

My sister had a brat unexpectedly with a guy she didn't intend on having anything to do with long term and she didn't put the biological father on the brat's birth certificate at all.

If that's the case in your situation you won't need him to sign off on it.

I feel bad calling him brat, can we just call him johnny?
I was thinking the same as Skeptic, you would only need the mother to sign off on it and possibly her parents.

Last edited:
What's on the brat's birth certificate?

My sister had a brat unexpectedly with a guy she didn't intend on having anything to do with long term and she didn't put the biological father on the brat's birth certificate at all.

If that's the case in your situation you won't need him to sign off on it.

The biological father's name ISN'T on the birth certificate. From memory he had a habit of knocking up women then leaving them.

I feel bad calling him brat, can we just call him johnny?
I was thinking the same as Skeptic, you would only need the mother to sign off on it and possibly her parents.

His name is Spencer.

So hopefully you shouldn't have any issues adopting Spencer as long as your ex and her parents dont have a problem signing off on it. If he has been raised as your son and you all get along I hope its an easy and inexpensive process of simply all signing a whole bunch of papers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back