Adopting The Brat.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The biological father's name ISN'T on the birth certificate. From memory he had a habit of knocking up women then leaving them.
What a POS. Props to you for being a real man, brother!

Spencer is lucky to have someone like you fighting FOR him. I see too many kids go the other way :(

Hopefully the Gov will see how you are Spencer's REAL father! Good luck mate

So hopefully you shouldn't have any issues adopting Spencer as long as your ex and her parents dont have a problem signing off on it. If he has been raised as your son and you all get along I hope its an easy and inexpensive process of simply all signing a whole bunch of papers.

Thanks for the positive comments.
Looks like I'm gonna spend the next day off on the phone getting more facts together.

Is there a way you can get your name added to his birth certificate? Just get your ex to bs about who got her pregnant.

Is there a way you can get your name added to his birth certificate? Just get your ex to bs about who got her pregnant.

Ha ha I wish it was that easy....only prob is, Spence is blonde hair, fair skin....I'm black hair & half Asian.

Hmm maybe we can pass him as an albino Asian....?

Ha ha I wish it was that easy....only prob is, Spence is blonde hair, fair skin....I'm black hair & half Asian.

Hmm maybe we can pass him as an albino Asian....?

All sorts of weird genes come into play, I wonder how thorough they are with the process if there is no DNA test then there's nothing they can do.

I think you will find that issues relating to all children fall under the Family Law Act 1975 (Commonwealth). They are dealt with through the Family Court, the Federal Circuit Court (Federal Magistrates Court) or the Local Court. These courts cover issues relating to child custody laws, residence of children and ongoing financial support of children. It doesn't matter whether the parents are married, de facto, same sex couples or adoptive. The court will issue a Parenting Order based on what arrangements you wish to see in place, but taking into account as their top prioirty that which is in the best interests of the child. Children have a right to access to significant others, such as Grandparents, and these arrangements and rights will need to be sorted as well.

It seems things are done slightly in each state. You can either directly approach the Family Court in your state, or seek guidance &/or help from a family law firm if you have the money and want to minimise the stress and maximise your chances.

Good luck with it.

Blue

Cheers Blue.
Christ I know there's children out there in pretty bad situations & families that can't reconcile just for the sake of their kids.
Fortunately, my ex & I aren't butting heads on any issue regarding Spence's wants & needs & well upbringing...
But judging on what you've mentioned, it seems it's going to cost a lot of $, forms & red tape just to prove I want to be committed to this child's upbringing.

It does seems kind of crazy that it has to go through a court. Most government control over people involves a clear set of regulations – tick the boxes and either you pass or fail. So yeah, you have got to wonder why this one has to be dealt with by a court.

I had half an idea as to the answer to your original question and so I did the research to get the full answer. In the process, I read some background stuff. A Family Law Court judge made a couple of statements that might help you make some sense of it all. He explained that children don’t know what their rights are and so don’t know whether they are being met or not. The other point he made was that it might seem you can categorise cases, but the reality with children is that each individual case is different. So for these reasons, each case needs to be looked at and evaluated individually. Hence the need for the family court as an objective and informed decision making group.

I was thinking about your case and because no-one is contesting what you want to do, there is probably minimal advantage in seeing a lawyer.

The following web page will allow you to ring and make some enquiries, so you are no longer left wondering about the if it can be done and how much it is likely to cost... National Enquiry Centre
Based on what I have seen on the rest of this web site I don’t think your costs will be that great.

Good luck with this,
Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back