Feral Rodent Control

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Reaction score
Alright guys,

Im at wits ends in regards to a recent feral rat outbreak.

What is everyones best rodent control.

I have the grey springloaded traps baited with peanut butter already but just seem not to be successful.

thanks,

I have a very smart rat dog :) anything he misses has the choice of Ratsak or a spring loaded trap that they can wander into for a snack of bacon rind which is securely tied with wire to the trigger.
Notice on my front door...."Feral Rats Welcome for short stays only".

If you're using peanut butter, secure it on the trigger with glad wrap. I haven't used peanut butter before, but I know chocolate works well. The glad wrap is imperative, or as the above post mentions, solid substances can be secured with wire (or string). The rats have to really work at it, then SNAP!

Peanut butter works great for mice (small gray traps) but im not sure about rats. Ive put down mice traps with peanut butter an caught mice within minutes, back to back normally aswell.

Rick

Bromakil blocks if going the poisoning route.

Had to give up on traps, they landed up wandering off with them....as necklaces!?

My old Border Collie, she'd bring them back alive as a gift. Eventually had to latch the flyscreen door.....she could open it by the handle, even with live rat :?

i store dog food and bird seed in my shed and i had huge rats get in there, i tried the humane rat traps were they get stuck in a cage and then you can gas them but the rats never got caught in it. so i used rat bait in those black lockable boxes as i have dogs and a 2 year old and its worked. i find dead ones nearly every day.

Last edited:
ebay i got 1.8kg of bait plus 2 lockable boxes for $65 and that's including delivery. was cheaper a few months back but price has gone up

also the same seller has 3 lockable bait station for $25 that's including delivery, already loaded with bait.

Last edited:
Hey there, I don't know if they work for rats but the old water bucket and oiled up beer bottle works pretty well for mice maybe a bigger version for a rat would work.

Hey there, I don't know if they work for rats but the old water bucket and oiled up beer bottle works pretty well for mice maybe a bigger version for a rat would work.
I am having trouble picturing what you are talking about, can you please explain or put up a picture?

BIGBANG's trap can work a treat.

I use this method for rats, but with a "tight-rope" across a 20L bucket dug in at ground level. I buried it in the floor of my chicken coop and pull the lid off at night when the chooks roost.

Hang your choice of bait from at the centre of the tight rope above the 5-10L of water. I caught so many rats that I think the local carpet snakes had to eat my chickens instead.

The two trick are to make sure no other abundant food sources are available besides your traps. The second trick is to try several different methods as rats are not successful due to stupidity..

Good luck!

Just had more success with the "backup" glue traps.

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back