Pet shops allowed to sell in nsw, why can't I sell on gumtree?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand some people would be confused with advertising on Gumtree. If you see numerous ads for reptiles and also exotics yet they rarely get removed a large percentage of the time even after submitting tickets, some people would assume that although the licence conditions prohibit the use of sites like Gumtree, that National Parks and Gumtree really aren't that fussed about enforcing the rule. It would come as shock to find that amongst all the ads you would appear to be the only one singled out. I wouldn't post snakes there myself but I understand why others do and are confused.

I am also an offender for not reading licence conditions thoroughly. While it is good practice it is not always practicable and I am sure if a survey was done that the majority of people would not know all the rules. I have not read reasonably the firearm rules since I was 16. I read here and there of some of the changes over the years but I would guarantee that it would be an extremely tiny majority would know them all as rules have are constantly being changed without significant notice available to the public. Same goes with car licences and vehicle registration so in some way I would consider we are all guilty so I don't think we need to attack each other for little knowledge or understanding of licence conditions.

I also had an advert removed from Gumtree for a bredli, claiming it was against NSW licensing laws, yet they still allowed several pages of snakes to exist. When I pointed this out, they just said "some slip through the net". With an excuse like this, they wouldn't even have to monitor it would they? And the fact they have a section: 'Reptiles and Amphibians' under Pets, is a violation in itself according to the licensing rules and also completely contradicts their excuse! I reported them by email to Wildlife licensing....several times, but didn't get a response from them either. No one cares!

I don't think gumtree is breaching that condition. NPWS may not like it but in that condition as gumtree has a separate section for reptiles it can be argued that it comes under an Internet site section. Despite the condition saying that a lic number be shown in the ad in the past some unlicensed people have stolen the identify to make purchases and sales and it is well justified in with holding this information to protect identity thief.
Of bigger concern would be condition 3 how many people provide receipts that are signed and dated? I have yet to meet someone doing this.
NPWS has also made it impossible to verify the lic details due to privacy reasons.

So what I didn't read the entire license details, stop trying to bully people, you've already made your point and now you are just repeating yourself, you don't really have anything else to say to me lol. Firearms can kill people, completely different

So can sankes...definitely a big croc.... or dogs for that matter, maybe a pig as well or a horse.... possibly a cat if it was really big.

Well, i don't know what everyone is going on about unless there is some sort of new law brought out in the last couple of days coz i just had a look at scamtree and counted 100 snake adds in NSW just for the month of june :) .....................................Ron

Last edited:
Well, i don't know what everyone is going on about unless there is some sort of new law brought out in the last couple of days coz i just had a look at scamtree and counted 100 snake adds just for the month of june :) .....................................Ron

And quite a few asking for corn snakes :shock:

So what I didn't read the entire license details, stop trying to bully people, you've already made your point and now you are just repeating yourself, you don't really have anything else to say to me lol. Firearms can kill people, completely different
Guns don't kill people , people kill people.

So can sankes...definitely a big croc.... or dogs for that matter, maybe a pig as well or a horse.... possibly a cat if it was really big.

Two statements with almost no real thought behind them.

Sorry guys, not looking to start an argument or anything.

I'm also a licensed shooter and I can tell you I take keeping firearms a lot more seriously than I do reptiles. Even a serious envenomation shouldn't prove fatal if first aid is applied promptly and properly. A compression bandage over a gunshot wound to the head or chest isn't going to be quite as effective and accidents DO happen.

Even a serious envenomation shouldn't prove fatal if first aid is applied promptly and properly. A compression bandage over a gunshot wound to the head or chest isn't going to be quite as effective and accidents DO happen.

Would a compression bandage around your head,chest or neck for example be problematic or in the last example fatal?

I'm also a licensed shooter and I can tell you I take keeping firearms a lot more seriously than I do reptiles. Even a serious envenomation shouldn't prove fatal if first aid is applied promptly and properly. A compression bandage over a gunshot wound to the head or chest isn't going to be quite as effective and accidents DO happen.
Why are you saying there was no thought behind my statement? There was thought behind my statement and I stand behind it. I too am a licensed gun owner/shooter and never have I seen a gun kill someone or even go off without neglectful actions of a person either being careless or leaving it loaded or something. I know accidents happen but every gun accident has had human activity as part of the blame.

Would a compression bandage around your head,chest or neck for example be problematic or in the last example fatal?

Agreed

Why are you saying there was no thought behind my statement? There was thought behind my statement and I stand behind it. I too am a licensed gun owner/shooter and never have I seen a gun kill someone or even go off without neglectful actions of a person either being careless or leaving it loaded or something. I know accidents happen but every gun accident has had human activity as part of the blame.

Agreed, but the differences are in orders of magnitude.

Let's keep it on topic...

Sorry

No real thought?

I quoted a statement saying firearms "can" kill people...

So "can" snakes etc etc...

so CAN we read context so we CAN make statements that can't be perceived as condescending... a thought process so we CAN have proper discussions.

You know... not trying to start an argument or anything.

So CAN we say it is possible for firearms and snakes to kill people? Is there still no thought process involved?

Last edited:
what about having your own website. I know a few NSW breeder with these with little issue

If your website complied with the stipulations in the licence conditions then it would be fine - A pure 'selling' site akin to Gumtree would not comply though.

As far as your last sentence goes...It will never be an issue unless NPWS take you to task for it...as they appear to be doing in some isolated cases.

To the OP. It would seem the removal of adds is up to the discretion of whomever is working as admin at the time. As has been pointed out, there are always adds for exotic reptiles popping up which are clearly in breach of licence requirements no matter what state you come from.

Firearms can kill people, completely different

No real thought?

I quoted a statement saying firearms "can" kill people...

So "can" snakes etc etc...

so CAN we read context so we CAN make statements that can't be perceived as condescending... a thought process so we CAN have proper discussions.

You know... not trying to start an argument or anything.

So CAN we say it is possible for firearms and snakes to kill people? Is there still no thought process involved?

I completely agree. Animals DO kill people on a regular basis. However, here's some perspective:

Total deaths from 2000 - 2010

Snake - 14
Dog - 27
Croc - 9
Horse - 77
Cat - 0
Pig - 0
Guns - 2853

I thought I'd add knife deaths for comparison given that they are far more easily obtained.

Knives - 752

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back