Stimson's Python not eating! Please help!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy

Reaction score
My Stimson's python is about 2 years old
I dont heat the cold end of his tank in winter so he did hibernate for a few months last year.
He hasn't eaten for about 5 months now, the warm end of his tank is 30 degrees and the cold end is about 20 degrees because it is quite cold here in Sydney.
I think he was hibernating because he stayed in his cave for a few months but now he comes out sometimes during the day or sticks his head out but whenever i go to feed him he is either in the cave or goes back in and refuses the food.
Is this normal?
Should i be using a heat mat to heat the cold end of the tank as well so it is warmer?

Edit: Is it okay to handle him if he is hibernating and/or not eating?

Last edited:
I'd suggest leaving the food in there overnight, snakes are generally a nocturnal animal so will only venture out overnight and may not like feeding during the day in winter/colder months.

I'm in Sydney too and my Stimmy has not eaten since March. He's coming out to bask every few days and then going back into his hide. He's not lost much condition at all. He has good body size and his skin is beautiful and shiny. From everything I've read on this Forum and from what I've been told by other owners, this is quite normal for Antaresia species in cooler areas like Sydney. I'm expecting to start feeding again in September.

I'd suggest leaving the food in there overnight, snakes are generally a nocturnal animal so will only venture out overnight and may not like feeding during the day in winter/colder months.
To quote myself:
I have read that some people leave rodents overnight...not a wise idea. I will never be doing that again. The mouse blew up like roadkill and was the worst smell I have ever experienced!!! I was gagging trying to get the disgusting thing out...actually I'm gagging now thinking about it...maybe that happened only because I put it on the heated end...but I figured a snake wont go for a cold mouse so yeh....you live and you learn.
I am also gagging just copying and pasting this...

Ive left mine down the cool end, and never had a problem. But i don't have a light on at night, only heat cords.

If you were going to leave a mouse over night, you wouldn't put it on the heat.

our male stimson has not eaten since the middle of April he will not eat until at least the end of August , we do not turn the temps down , he just knows its time for a rest . The first time he did this my wife was frantic and had me waste a mouse every two weeks for the entire winter , but now we know that its normal and we just top up the water every day and leave him alone :D

I have never heard of a fresh rat doing that, maybe it was a bad rat.

Ive had it happen, generally with a pinky or such, if they're left under the heat lamp... I asked my wife to feed my diamond and she put it under the heat lamp, when I got home from work the next day, the rat had swelled up, really gassy n bloated and stank like a**!!!!

Ive had it happen, generally with a pinky or such, if they're left under the heat lamp... I asked my wife to feed my diamond and she put it under the heat lamp, when I got home from work the next day, the rat had swelled up, really gassy n bloated and stank like a**!!!!
Maybe it is because of the small size and extra heat then. I have never left a rat on or under heat that has not been eaten but my brother-in-law has accidentally left a weaner on a mat (to warm through and forgot about it) and it did not happen.

It's the middle of winter. .. Of course it's not eating. Don't bother until at least August. Some of mine only eat a few months of the year. Even with the right temps they can still tell when it's winter IMO.

It's the middle of winter. .. Of course it's not eating. Don't bother until at least August. Some of mine only eat a few months of the year. Even with the right temps they can still tell when it's winter IMO.
I agree I got a male that will eat oct/ nov and dec... Then starts to go off food... Had him 3 yrs and he's in tip top condition... Grass snakes in the UK can eat 3 frogs a yr and grow to health adulthood ... We over feed our captive kept snakes!!!

If I leave the mouse somewhere on the substrate or a rock and leave the room with the light off, he goes for it straight away with no hesitation. I'm only new to Snakes, but I found this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back