Awesome new substrate at bunnings!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what is the absorption like? I used to use cypress mulch but the absorption was terrible. the liquid just laced through and sat at the bottom.

not sure mate, only have my baby frillies on it atm...

Just found it in the outside section of my local Bunnings, with all the kids playground equipment. Huge bag!

unlucky! its in the outside part..... with the other mulches and bark and stuff...
Yeah I checked the outdoor mulch section and with the playground gear and no luck. I'll keep an eye out.

" arthwise Range
Earthwise products are manufactured using unique ingredients sourced from the sugar industry. These ingredients provide a real growing advantage due to their better nutritional and microbiological characteristics. The physical characteristics also contribute to better water infiltration and holding capacity."

There is no specific mention of what is used. Tried calling them but office hours are Mon - Fri.

If there is pine or cedar I'll give it a go as cat litter haha

" arthwise Range
Earthwise products are manufactured using unique ingredients sourced from the sugar industry. These ingredients provide a real growing advantage due to their better nutritional and microbiological characteristics. The physical characteristics also contribute to better water infiltration and holding capacity."

There is no specific mention of what is used. Tried calling them but office hours are Mon - Fri.

If there is pine or cedar I'll give it a go as cat litter haha

Sounds like its cane mulch or something, which is good :)

It has been in Bunnings for months in Queensland, I thought about looking into it but there wasn't enough information on it so I didn't.

I looked at that last time I was in bunnings bit left it because I couldn't find what type of woods were in it. It was at the end of the aisle where the coir peat blocks and fertilisers and stuff were. Looks really nice. Might have to give Earthwise a call on Monday. :)

Obviously made from cane waste if it's a sugar industry by-product. There's nothing else it could have in it...

Jamie

I'll email them tonight and ask what it's made up of. If anyone has access to Australian Standards, it complies with AS4422, which may shed some light on what materials can be used in these products

EDIT: Nevermind, I got in. I'll have to have a really quick look because I'm going out to dinner in 10 minutes but I've found a couple of relevant points and I'll update more when I get home:

5.3 Toxicity hazards The surfacing should not contain any component known to present
a toxic hazard e.g. wood chips made from chemically treated wood.

5.4 Inhalation hazard The surfacing should not contain any component known to present
an inhalation hazard e.g sawdust or finely shredded rubber.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back