coir mulch bunnings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just re checked the packaging definately not on the front, however..... on the back in small print is the following " May also contain mineral and fertilizer additives" this is in their spiel about: may contain, insert list as long as your arm here. I'm lost:(

Yep...It is a pain. I would imagine this would be their general disclaimer to cover cross contamination from other products in the production line (much like just about everything these days has one about nuts) but I guess it always leaves that element of doubt.

I remember my last trip to Bunnings I spent 20 minutes in the aisle with my smartphone trying to look up the details on the Brunnings website - Only to find many of their products not listed (assumedly they are 'Bunnings Only' lines and not their general lines which is common with Bunnings). I could not find any of the 'mulch' type coirs that I was prepared to trust so ended up with a 'peat' type one which has gone well for me so far.

Yep...It is a pain. I would imagine this would be their general disclaimer to cover cross contamination from other products in the production line (much like just about everything these days has one about nuts) but I guess it always leaves that element of doubt.

I remember my last trip to Bunnings I spent 20 minutes in the aisle with my smartphone trying to look up the details on the Brunnings website - Only to find many of their products not listed (assumedly they are 'Bunnings Only' lines and not their general lines which is common with Bunnings). I could not find any of the 'mulch' type coirs that I was prepared to trust so ended up with a 'peat' type one which has gone well for me so far.
Apologies in advance for being a pain Bart70 would you kindly recommend the brand of the "peat type one" you went with???? Thanks in advance.

Maybe try going to a small garden shop and talk to an expert about what your exact needs are instead of going to Bunnings where you may get someone that knows nothing about the products.

Maybe try going to a small garden shop and talk to an expert about what your exact needs are instead of going to Bunnings where you may get someone that knows nothing about the products.
Small garden shop??? Bunnings have killed off all the small retailers in my area. I kid you not when i say that i have three within a 10km radius of my house, please dont get me started on their service Andy;) This is a topic its best not getting me started on:D

Apologies in advance for being a pain Bart70 would you kindly recommend the brand of the "peat type one" you went with???? Thanks in advance.

No Problems,

Was Brunnings "EasyWetta" Garden Soil - Premium Grade Coir Block. Makes up to 90 litres. I have a link but probably not allowed to post it. The 'Brunnings EasyWetta' is the trade name for most of their products.....the 'Garden Soil' name is the actual product. It is finer like 'coffee grinds' than the mulch branded products which are more like wood chips.

Hope this helps.

No Problems,

Was Brunnings "EasyWetta" Garden Soil - Premium Grade Coir Block. Makes up to 90 litres. I have a link but probably not allowed to post it. The 'Brunnings EasyWetta' is the trade name for most of their products.....the 'Garden Soil' name is the actual product. It is finer like 'coffee grinds' than the mulch branded products which are more like wood chips.

Hope this helps.
D'oh thats the one I originally picked up and put back:facepalm:. Thanks heaps

Store Locator - Bunnings Warehouse

This might help. I think bart70 meant the 9L not 90L? Mods if the link isn't ok would you mind just putting up the picture. I am on my phone and it is a bit of a pain to do. :)

There is a 60L on with a near identical blue label that is their 'easywetta' potting mix coir peat blocks with contains fertilisers. It didn't used to and was the same product as the 9L but in the last year or so it has being changed to contain a slow release fertiliser.

I've read this thread through and it seems that this product is used in its dry form as a substrate, assuming since such reps as blue tongues and bearded dragons were mentioned in one post and the cost of Aspen in another. However there is a "Health Warning" label suggesting that if inhaled in its dry form you are at risk of infection from some seriously nasty micro-organisms and to only handle when moist. This would be the same implication for animals living enclosed with it also as it breaks down and becomes dusty if used dry. Maybe such products aren't the holy grail of cost cutting given the package comes with its own safety guidelines!

I've read this thread through and it seems that this product is used in its dry form as a substrate, assuming since such reps as blue tongues and bearded dragons were mentioned in one post and the cost of Aspen in another. However there is a "Health Warning" label suggesting that if inhaled in its dry form you are at risk of infection from some seriously nasty micro-organisms and to only handle when moist. This would be the same implication for animals living enclosed with it also as it breaks down and becomes dusty if used dry. Maybe such products aren't the holy grail of cost cutting given the package comes with its own safety guidelines!
Good point and I would assume that the coir would dry out quite a bit in an enclosure and to clean properly you would have your head pretty close.

I dont disagree with you ozziepythons and looking for this product was not a purely cost cutting exercise. The warning label bothered me also. I also have been around bonsai for 15 plus years and the product sphagnum moss is reported to come with a host of fatality inducing "problems". Unfortunately this can be argued from both sides of the coin a) Aspen comes from the other side of the world, transport contributes to climatic pollution.( I have read it is from renewal timber though) b) trying to use a locally sourced product and im cost cutting and it may be harmful to my pets???? My head hurts as both the voices in my head can concede both points. Can anyone recommend a local, green friendly product, good for snakes which they will enjoy, looks good, cost effective....aaarrrrgh :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:
I dont disagree with you ozziepythons and looking for this product was not a purely cost cutting exercise. The warning label bothered me also. I also have been around bonsai for 15 plus years and the product sphagnum moss is reported to come with a host of fatality inducing "problems". Unfortunately this can be argued from both sides of the coin a) Aspen comes from the other side of the world, transport contributes to climatic pollution.( I have read though it is from renewal timber though) b) trying to use a locally sourced product and im cost cutting and it may be harmfull to my pets???? My head hurts as both the voices in my head can concede both points. Can anyone recommend a local, green friendly product, good for snakes which they will enjoy, looks good, cost effective....aaarrrrgh :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
Try sourcing hemp from down that way, not sure if you can get this down your way or not. At the moment I can only get it from the Gold Coast from a supplier

Edit. Also I would love to see some pictures of your Bonsai if you want to start a thread for it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 1.42.27 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-06-30 at 1.42.27 PM.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Try sourcing hemp from down that way, not sure if you can get this down your way or not. At the moment I can only get it from the Gold Coast from a supplier

Edit. Also I would love to see some pictures of your Bonsai if you want to start a thread for it.
Cheers Andy, I might take you up on starting that thread in the not too distant future. Now Im gonna go have a little lie down as my head hurts:shock:

Last edited by a moderator:
My understanding is that Petbarn is going to, or does stock hemp bedding in bales to be branded as Eco-???????? animal bedding. I find hemp very absorbent and it doesn't look too bad. I bagged some up for the newcastle expo in march and have used the left over as mulch on our garden where it seems to work well. I guess it depends what you are trying to achieve. Being a local sustainable product is important to me, but I doubt that it will be much cheaper than the alternatives once it goes through the supply chain.

I've bought some of the hemp from Petbarn. It's marketed as Ecofibre Agrisorb hemp mulch (try fitting that to an advertising jingle) and my woma loves it. I might try ordering the hemp from Reptiles Direct Australia, which is a sponsor of this site. I'm with Wokka on this one. Go for locally produced substrate over stuff that's been shipped half way across the planet.

Store Locator - Bunnings Warehouse

This might help. I think bart70 meant the 9L not 90L? Mods if the link isn't ok would you mind just putting up the picture. I am on my phone and it is a bit of a pain to do. :)

There is a 60L on with a near identical blue label that is their 'easywetta' potting mix coir peat blocks with contains fertilisers. It didn't used to and was the same product as the 9L but in the last year or so it has being changed to contain a slow release fertiliser.

No,

My packaging clearly states "Makes Up To 90 litres"....as does the item in the link that I am unable to post. All of their products are 'Brunnings EasyWetta' - The difference is what it says afterwards. Mine is the 'Garden Soil' product and has no mention at all of ferts.

Interested in looking at the hemp products though....

Last edited:
I've bought some of the hemp from Petbarn. It's marketed as Ecofibre Agrisorb hemp mulch (try fitting that to an advertising jingle) and my woma loves it. I might try ordering the hemp from Reptiles Direct Australia, which is a sponsor of this site. I'm with Wokka on this one. Go for locally produced substrate over stuff that's been shipped half way across the planet.
I think the mulch has more cross fibres/hairs in it whereas the animal bedding doesnt and is more like say chaff. It depends upon the effect you want. I use the animal bedding by the truckload, bulk but i imagine once it goes through packaging and handling the costs start accumulating.

Oops - yes, you're right about that, Wokka. It is specifically animal bedding.

Oops - yes, you're right about that, Wokka. It is specifically animal bedding.
It used as bedding in horse stables or in my case rat tubs, but I know there was talk of baling it for sale in retail outlets.

It used as bedding in horse stables or in my case rat tubs, but I know there was talk of baling it for sale in retail outlets.

How do you get it Wokka?

Is it delivered by the cubic metre? Something that large bulk gardening/landscaping supply yards may stock?

I am currently doing a full garden makeover so a couple of cubic metres might be handy for mulch and I can then squirrel away some into bags for later herp use. My only problem would be finding somewhere up here that carries it :(

I will also check our local Petbarn although I doubt they would stock the bales. There was some Exo-Terra gear on sale recently that they went to the trouble of emailing me their 'Specials' but upon visiting the store they only stock Reptile One.......They are not overly proactive with herp gear but then with places like Reptile Direct they probably don't have the demand to carry much either - Catch 22 for retailers these days when it comes to specialty equipment.

How do you get it Wokka?

Is it delivered by the cubic metre? Something that large bulk gardening/landscaping supply yards may stock?

I am currently doing a full garden makeover so a couple of cubic metres might be handy for mulch and I can then squirrel away some into bags for later herp use. My only problem would be finding somewhere up here that carries it :(

I will also check our local Petbarn although I doubt they would stock the bales. There was some Exo-Terra gear on sale recently that they went to the trouble of emailing me their 'Specials' but upon visiting the store they only stock Reptile One.......They are not overly proactive with herp gear but then with places like Reptile Direct they probably don't have the demand to carry much either - Catch 22 for retailers these days when it comes to specialty equipment.
I use my mates 8m3 truck to transport it. I know some was being bagged for sale at Petbarn. Pet barn to petshops is what Bunnings is to hardware stores. I dont like either, but dont know why i worry as my working life is almostover. Then again , I do have grandchildren who deserve the right to decent working conditions. It is so easy to say it doesn't effect me so it doesn't matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back