Awesome new substrate at bunnings!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a mix of this and euchie mulch for my lacies. Never had any problems yet. Its been around for quite a while. In the garden section of most bunnings.

I found their website but it was not listed as a product - Maybe it is a line of product they only do for Bunnings? (I see this a lot with the Coir Mulches at Bunnings...Some lines are 'Bunnings' only and not listed on the makers website). I noted on their website that they have a different brand name for their exclusive Bunnings lines but it was not listed there either. Coincidently my front garden is covered with their Sugar Cane mulch under another brand name.

I noted amongst some of their other products they do make timber based products, not just sugar cane related (one product was cedar from memory) so these could be a timber based product and not cane by-product.

I might have to swing past Bunnings tomorrow if time permits and see if I can take a look at it.

I'd like to use this with my snakes so I'd like a bit more information on it, might try coir peat in the meantime. Newspaper isn't doing it for me looks-wise.

Looks a lot like the pine mulch I found on this website (not the same brand):

http://www.barkblower.com.au/products/softfall_products.html

Looks like Cyprus Pine Mulch I found on another site too.

Last edited:
It's a product for children to play on, so it won't contain harmful materials (which would include Western Red Cedar).

Would be interesting to know what it's absorption properties were. If it were any decent I'd switch, otherwise there's not much point using it at all and i'll stick to my OzPet.

It's a product for children to play on, so it won't contain harmful materials (which would include Western Red Cedar).

Out of curiosity...What is the issue with Western Red Cedar, and can it be harmful to humans?

I ask because I have Western Red Cedar timber glass doors and frames on my house that will soon need a sand and refinish and an curious if I will need to take any particular precautions.

Out of curiosity...What is the issue with Western Red Cedar, and can it be harmful to humans?

I ask because I have Western Red Cedar timber glass doors and frames on my house that will soon need a sand and refinish and an curious if I will need to take any particular precautions.

i would defiantly be wearing a mask, thats for sure

Would be interesting to know what it's absorption properties were. If it were any decent I'd switch, otherwise there's not much point using it at all and i'll stick to my OzPet.
I just seen it in bunnings and all the bags were wet and the product was absorbing very well...lol...Guna stick to me OZ Pet cat litter

Last edited:
9169432423_5d00573e01_c.jpg

I think it is high in phenols which can be bad if constantly inhaled, such as with reptiles crawling around substrate.

Looks like sugarcane waste from that pic. Will have to check it out.

I must be blind ....where it say that? lol :)

If it has a clearance tag on it it's a deleted line. The date is on the second line. Worked at Bunnings back when I didn't hate people as much, used to cash in on all the deleted lines before the customers got onto them :lol:

If it has a clearance tag on it it's a deleted line. The date is on the second line. Worked at Bunnings back when I didn't hate people as much, used to cash in on all the deleted lines before the customers got onto them :lol:

Nice 1...Good on Ya ;)

I think it is high in phenols which can be bad if constantly inhaled, such as with reptiles crawling around substrate.
Yes it seems you are right, I found this on a site that sells hemp.

The problems with softwood shavings such as pine and cedar stem from the natural, aromatic chemicals called phenols that give the woods their natural aroma.These phenols interact with the liver and respiratory system in the body, potentially producing unwanted and harmful side effects. Natural chemicals present in softwoods can damage the animal’s delicate respiratory tract, leading to chronic respiratory disease and asthma.

This has been out for a while, I'll just stick to aspen. Love that stuff lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back