coir mulch bunnings

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't used the coir mulch from bunnings. If it says there is no fertilizers it should be fine. I normally use the 9L coir peat blocks with the blue label. The difference being mulch is coarser and peat of finer.

I currently have coir mulch in my tanks that I bought from a local garden place, which I am quite liking.
Is this the one you meant Redfox

Attachments

• 20130630_121452.jpg
    20130630_121452.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 119
My understanding is that Petbarn is going to, or does stock hemp bedding in bales to be branded as Eco-???????? animal bedding. I find hemp very absorbent and it doesn't look too bad. I bagged some up for the newcastle expo in march and have used the left over as mulch on our garden where it seems to work well. I guess it depends what you are trying to achieve. Being a local sustainable product is important to me, but I doubt that it will be much cheaper than the alternatives once it goes through the supply chain.

I've bought some of the hemp from Petbarn. It's marketed as Ecofibre Agrisorb hemp mulch (try fitting that to an advertising jingle) and my woma loves it. I might try ordering the hemp from Reptiles Direct Australia, which is a sponsor of this site. I'm with Wokka on this one. Go for locally produced substrate over stuff that's been shipped half way across the planet.

One of the members here works at Petbarn and says he is trialling it, Ive been out and about today but none of my local Petbarns stock it, guess ill wait until its available. Thanks for the heads up.

One of the members here works at Petbarn and says he is trialling it, Ive been out and about today but none of my local Petbarns stock it, guess ill wait until its available. Thanks for the heads up.
My local petbarns don't stock it yet either.

This is the 'Peat' coir that I was referring to earlier (hopefully the pic works...)

Attachments

• brunnings.jpg
    brunnings.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 121
This is the 'Peat' coir that I was referring to earlier (hopefully the pic works...)

Cheers. Thats the one my local has as well. Thanks for doing the pic. Noticed that reptile direct sponsor on this site sells the coir I bought. Guessing it must be ok then:D

Has any one found coir peat to have a strong smell?
I used a brunnings one once after seeing it on here but found it had a strong smell, can't really say what it smelt like but it was a bitter.

Both types of Brunnings Coir I have purchased (mulch and peat) had a 'woody, earthy' type smell to it.

Nothing I would say was out of the ordinary or chemical related......Not sure if that helps at all...:)

Has any one found coir peat to have a strong smell?
I used a brunnings one once after seeing it on here but found it had a strong smell, can't really say what it smelt like but it was a bitter.

Yep all smell like wood/dirt. Just need to give it a good rinse till the water coming out is clear (or almost clear).

Rick

image.jpgThis seems like the place to ask instead of making a new thread. Is this stuff alright for my reps? Got a couple of them from bunnings for $1.90 or something each :D

View attachment 292248This seems like the place to ask instead of making a new thread. Is this stuff alright for my reps? Got a couple of them from bunnings for $1.90 or something each :D
Read back a few posts on this thread, Redfox replied to me as I asked the same question, its all good to use :D

after researching about which substrate i would use.. and found nothing, i read this thread and thought i would research this coir mulch... just looked up coir mulch at bunnings and on the package it says avoid breathing dust or mist, wash hands immediately after use, wear gloves and a mask, and contains micro organisms...is this ok to use???

after researching about which substrate i would use.. and found nothing, i read this thread and thought i would research this coir mulch... just looked up coir mulch at bunnings and on the package it says avoid breathing dust or mist, wash hands immediately after use, wear gloves and a mask, and contains micro organisms...is this ok to use???

All organic mulch products carry this warning due to the possibility of contracting legionnaires disease if present in damp products also other bacterial issues.

I do agree BeZaKa! its really expensive, but ive found an alternate :) theres a place in sydney calls reptile direct australia, they have a website Reptile Direct Australia as well as an ebay account, i purchased some natural hemp substrate off them roughly 6 months ago and its been amazing, its pretty much the same as aspen but an australian natural product, and it smells nice lol! i got a 15kg bag for $60, and i havent even used half of it yet.

I do agree BeZaKa! its really expensive, but ive found an alternate :) theres a place in sydney calls reptile direct australia, they have a website Reptile Direct Australia as well as an ebay account, i purchased some natural hemp substrate off them roughly 6 months ago and its been amazing, its pretty much the same as aspen but an australian natural product, and it smells nice lol! i got a 15kg bag for $60, and i havent even used half of it yet.

Thanks for the heads up Hayley606. These guys are 10 mins around the corner from me and I've actually gone to their store and bought product off them. I appreciate the feedback on the hemp as this was next on my list to try, great to hear someone has used it and it works. May I ask what snakes you keep on it??? Cheers. Phil.

Hay guys, if you ask the Petbarn staff to order in some of the hemp bedding they will. We don't usually stock things that don't sell all that well or are new unless our head office order it for us. If you let them know you are interested they can order it in about a week. I've been using the hemp in our display tanks at the moment at Petbarn and have found it unbelievably dusty and I end up in a coughing fit when I use it.

using coir mulch for pythons

With coir mulch should you wet it first a bit or put it in direct.

With coir mulch should you wet it first a bit or put it in direct.

It usually comes in a compacted block which needs to be wet to expand. So I usually wet and leave outside to dry out before I use.

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I searched 'coir peat' on the forum and this seemed like the most appropriate to post my question...

I bought the small 9L coir peat bricks (pictured above), put two bricks in a bucket with some warm water and let them expand.

Now I'm wondering should I put it in the oven or whether it'll be fine to use how it is. I washed it several times (as suggested above) and have dried it completely in the sun over the past few days but I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back