beardie dropped eggs this morning.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saintanger

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
so my beardie dropped 21 eggs this morning, she seemed a bit fatter and was not eating much the last 2 weeks i assumed it was because i feed her heaps to bulk her up for winter and that she was brumating so had gone off food.

but she laid 21 eggs this morning, which i was not expecting so soon. i did not have a laying box or sand deep enough in there so she lay them next to the water bowl and covered most of them with a bit of sand. one egg was broken and 2 look flat but the rest look great. i candled them and they have veins in them. so i think they are fertile but its way too soon for beardies to be laying.

i was planing on buying perlite and adding water or sims tubs, suspension ones which i orded from america 6 months ago but never arrived. so i am stuck now, i could not go to bunnings as i had a house inspection and they just left. my partner reckons i should leave them sit on sand in a container with holes on the lid and just put a water bowl in the bottom on the reptile one incubator and that they will hatch.

what do you guys think?

i can still run off to bunnings, but just thought i'd get your opinions.

Last edited:
lol, yeah late/ yearly as she should of laid last year around November or late this year but instead she laid today. i don't get it but they all have veins.

lol probably, the only male in her enclosure is chives my red/ yellow beardie. so i will be very interested to see what the babies look like.

Last edited:
Keep us updated! Congrats and good luck with the eggs! :D

Congrats and good luck with the eggs. Keep us updated.
I know a lot of other people would have more experience than me but I did an alright job with some Marbled Gecko eggs.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-lizards-5383/two-four-geckos-hatched-eggs-178953/
I know they're not beardies but ... If you want to take a look. Pity only two hatched though. Not sure if the other two were duds or not.
All I did was made a sort of nest in a small round take away container. Using dirt/hey/leaf litter from outside.
Gave it a mist every day or so (avoiding eggs as much as possible) or just when I thought the substarte was too dry. Kept at room temp.
Hope this gives you some ideas. Doesn't have to be fancy to have some success.

Congrats and good luck with the eggs. Keep us updated.
I know a lot of other people would have more experience than me but I did an alright job with some Marbled Gecko eggs.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-lizards-5383/two-four-geckos-hatched-eggs-178953/
I know they're not beardies but ... If you want to take a look. Pity only two hatched though. Not sure if the other two were duds or not.
All I did was made a sort of nest in a small round take away container. Using dirt/hey/leaf litter from outside.
Gave it a mist every day or so (avoiding eggs as much as possible) or just when I thought the substarte was too dry. Kept at room temp.
Hope this gives you some ideas. Doesn't have to be fancy to have some success.

i doubt with this cold weather i will hatch them at room temp. especially central beardies.

nah i decided i did not want to move them round heaps so i am gonna leave them on damp sand, incubator set at 30 degrees and humidity is at 75%.

next clutch i will put them on perlite or vermiculite 50/50 mix and see how i go.

she laid her second clutch yesterday 20 eggs, and her sister is heavily pregnant and should lay in within the week.

i got the 20 eggs from yesterday on perlite 50/50 mix.

she laid her second clutch yesterday 20 eggs, and her sister is heavily pregnant and should lay in within the week.

i got the 20 eggs from yesterday on perlite 50/50 mix.

This is madness ;) I cant believe they are breeding so late in the season/not in season.

Have you noticed any more matings?

Rick

i have seen no mating at all, i have seen my male chives displaying the male beardie head bopping, chasing female beardies around and jumping on them and biting their necks but lets go and runs up the highest log and head bops at me, the girls wave. but have not seen them actually do any mating.

weird girls, but my other female shows no sign of being pregnant yet.

you must have really warm enclosures to have them laying eggs this late in the season,I would suggest you don't let them brumate this year as they may have more eggs and you don't want them to rot in their guts while they sleep

i was brumating them but both the pregnant girls i have put in a separate inclosure and upped the temp back to normal as i am aware of the risk.

pregnant beardies 031 (600x401).jpg first female heavily pregnant

pregnant beardies 054 (600x400).jpg second female pregnant

pregnant beardies 050 (600x400).jpgeggs

Nice I like eggs keep the pics coming...

Do you know anywhere else apart from America to get sim tubs ?

Last edited:
amazing amazon has them, just checked and they are out of stock.

i orded some from america and that was over 6 months ago never got them, have sent multiple emails and never got a reply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back