Australian Reptile Park

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some animals you would like to see there ?

olives are always a must. Scrub would be good as well. Some of the more common carpets and a diamond or two (mainly for educational purposes - the more recognised they are as harmless, the less likely they are to be killed). Maybe an albino or two...and of course I want to see that unicorn. some more monitors. Whatever really. It doesn't matter. The place is fine...I just had different expectations, but its been sufficiently explained by ron in this thread.

olives are always a must. Scrub would be good as well. Some of the more common carpets and a diamond or two (mainly for educational purposes - the more recognised they are as harmless, the less likely they are to be killed). Maybe an albino or two...and of course I want to see that unicorn. some more monitors. Whatever really. It doesn't matter. The place is fine...I just had different expectations, but its been sufficiently explained by ron in this thread.

Every time I have been there has been a scrub python used in at least one of the live shows.

Not been there for a very long time (must be over 20 years).

Do they still have the huge pits with lizards in them ?

I think the tame kangaroos and wallabies and bears and possums were always the most interesting to my children, hand feeding them and patting them was nice for the kiddies.

Pretty sure it's 80% of Australians live on the coast and most of these are in the big cites and would rarely venture out into the wild to see the natives in situ. We here on this site are a rare breed who are particularly fascinated by reptiles (aussie reptiles first and foremost and then exotic reptiles) and a lot of us go on field trips or herp adventures of some sort so we get to see a lot more than the average joe blo.

I've seen Taronga Zoo and Australia Zoo as well as Australian Reptile Park and I don't think the first two cover the aussie native reptiles very well at all. Being the Australian Reptile Park I would expect to see a lot more native reptiles and I was hoping for some A grade displays and more hands on with the reptiles and I was a little disappointed. I think the ARP does a lot of behind the scenes work with endangered species and snake and spider anti-venom which the public doesn't get to see so I'll give them props to that. Great park, however for me it doesn't have enough attraction to return again and again.
Taronga and Australia Zoo have that attraction to me where I can go back again and again because demonstrations are never the same and there is always something new to look at.

I think at 1 time the "ARP" had more Aussie Snakes when John Weigel had the breeding program in house, i think when it was taken over by "Snake Ranch" they must have decided at that time not to have so many AUS Herps there, (Snake Ranch might chime in here and confirm this) but i know how everyone else feels, it would be nice to have somewhere that is not in a capitol for us simple bush folk to get to see some more exotics without having to resort to checking out other peoples collections of illegal Herps, most of the time all they have is a few Rat Snakes and Corns to look at, i don't think they would be silly enough to let people see their exotic Vens. :) ................Ron

I'm pretty sure there are more native species being displayed then exotics at the moment anyway. I'd say at least 90% wouldn't be able to see the difference between the carpet pythons even with them sitting next to each other and so would think it boring, same with monitors (although the park does display 5 species of monitor).
And where would you put the an Olive and scrubby? Would you rather the olive or the retic?

Besides the park does have an Olive, Scrubby and Diamond but they are all show animals.

I got bored reading all the replies on this topic , but last time i went there would have been 10 years ago , and it sounds like nothing has changed.

It is all set up for the tourists , mainly all the Japs in bus loads from sydney , just to raise money.
As far as i am concerned , the name Australian Reptile Park is a reptile park full of Australian reptiles. I dont care what all you people read into the name.

I will not go there again , and i am speaking on behalf of most people i know who have been around reptiles for 30 + years

There was only one australian python there when i last visited.

I would like to think the park would be interested in educating the public and all all the tourists and all the school kids ..... in our fantastic native reptiles. We have so much to offer the public. Sure they can have a Cobra , Rattlesnake and so on , but why have more overseas stuff on display than native stuff.

It wasnt like that when Eric Worrel ran the place.

There are Olives, a Scrub, diamond and Carpet.. these get used for shows and are often shown around the park but are not on display. There is alot more there that you do not see regularly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back