BHP in new enclosure!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
y9yhuru6.jpg

Those CHE's get very hot, I would put a cage around them and and the light.

that photo just made me cringe , turn those CHEs off NOW and just put something like a warm ( not boiling hot ) water bottle in their , or something similar for the night or until you have some cages sorted , considering your in ballarat maybe get the room temp nice and warm also

a cold night is better than a burnt snake and thats what your asking for leaving those uncovered

Yeah I was thinking the same but where would I buy one to cover all three? The emitters are only 50watt though? I've touched them on and they are obviously hot but I wouldn't say much more than an infrared heat light. But I would like to cover them anyway because he pulled a light out once a year ago in his old enclosure!

Yeah I was thinking the same but where would I buy one to cover all three? The emitters are only 50watt though? I've touched them on and they are obviously hot but I wouldn't say much more than an infrared heat light. But I would like to cover them anyway because he pulled a light out once a year ago in his old enclosure!
just turn them off and cage all three individually if need be , have you touched them when they have been running for a while ( like days) and at the coldest part of the day ? ive got 60watts that ive placed a thermo probe above the globe near the fitting and the temps quickly got around the 80s , i can only imagine the globe itself reaching temps alot higher than this , not cooler

Take the sticky tape off of the probe too ;)

just turn them off and cage all three individually if need be , have you touched them when they have been running for a while ( like days) and at the coldest part of the day ? ive got 60watts that ive placed a thermo probe above the globe near the fitting and the temps quickly got around the 80s , i can only imagine the globe itself reaching temps alot higher than this , not cooler

As in the globe that is in the picture? If that's what you mean it only 11 watts and is for lighting only. As for the emitters I do understand they get hot I tested them without a thermostat for a couple hours before I used them just out of curiosity because I've never used them before they were hot but no hotter than an infrared a mentioned before. I do understand that they will have to be covered, did you make your light cages yourself or buy them?

you can buy them from pet shops, reptile shops, online reptile supply sellers, and ebay.

they will burn them even 50w will burn after being on for a while.

could you post a pic of the whole enclosure.

p.s the reason bec mention taking the sticky tape off is because the heat will make glue on the tape hot and melt and the tape may stick to the snake and burn it, or rip scales off wen you try to rip it off.

@ saintanger this is all I have at the moment I will take another photo when I get home but you can kinda see it in the background :)
enuhuqe8.jpg

If it hasn't already be stressed to you by enough people, i would not even put the snake in the enclosure unless those heat emitters are turned off. you need to cover those as soon as possible. Just get individual cages from a pet shop or online, for the heat emitters and the light bulb. I really hate seeing burned animals.

Why is the snake in it if it isn't finished? Remove the tape and personally I wouldn't have a snake in an enclosure if silcone hasn't cured and been aired out, even if its siliconed from the outside to hold a probe and cover a small hole to the inside, but that's just me.
In the pic, the snake is VERY close to exposed heat emitters, tape and a globe. Not the best idea IMO but its your snake, so your responsibility. People are only suggesting these things to you for the welfare of your snake.

Heat isn't the only reason to cover globes. Have you ever seen shards of a light bulb pulled out of a persons hand? Imagine having to pull shards out of a snake :/
What about the gas that comes from inside those energy saving globes when they pop from being bumped in a socket? It stinks out the room of a house, imagine what it would be like inside an enclosure.

It looks like a nice snake, it would be a shame for it to get injured due to carelessness :(

You can use angle and bird wire secured with pop rivets and/or 'stitched' with wire to make light cages yourself. Its cheaper and you can make them custom to the size/s you need.

I am trying very hard to not get angry over this post. What research have you done before buying this snake? Is this your first snake? The conditions you are keeping this snake in are putting it very directly in harms way. I hope this is unintentional and you are just new to this (if so not really a good excuse) But PLEASE follow recommendations others have put on here, turn off all lighting and heat emitters and purchase cages for them secured properly and remove that sticky tape. I really dont want to see a post on here saying "Help my snake is hurt/burnt".

image.jpg

Looks good apart from the apparent risks. Of course you could put some party globes in. Lots of people use them without cages. Though it's not recommended. Look at the picture in KABAP.
I also see a lot of people use cages that are too small. If you can't put your hand on the cage then you may as well not have it.

View attachment 292488

Looks good apart from the apparent risks. Of course you could put some party globes in. Lots of people use them without cages. Though it's not recommended. Look at the picture in KABAP.
I also see a lot of people use cages that are too small. If you can't put your hand on the cage then you may as well not have it.
They must not get as hot, are they 25 watts or something like that? I think there is a big risk of the snake coiling around the light and breaking the glass.

They must not get as hot, are they 25 watts or something like that? I think there is a big risk of the snake coiling around the light and breaking the glass.
They get too hot to touch. The clear spotlights would certainly get hot. You'd have to ask the old school keepers about them breaking the globes. But just one of those interesting things where the noobs attack other noobs while the old school are far more relaxed. To be put in the book you'd expect its an experienced keepers set up.

Last edited by a moderator:
The silicone had cured before the snake went in there and as for tape I just hadn't taken it off he's only been in there for a few days. As for it being my only/first snake no it's not I've had him for a while now its the FIRST time I've used heat emitters and being the lowest wattage I could find and being told by a pet store that they didn't stock 50watt emitters because they didn't get very hot I thought I wouldn't need lighting cages. These issues will be addressed an as for the light I've taken it out :) there is no need to get angry and try to patronize me. Isn't that why we are on the forum for advice and to share our experiences and learn from them? I'm just grateful that I uploaded a picture And by doing so a potential issue has been eliminated :) so thanks for the feedback guys!

Are the heat emitters the main source of heat? You can use heat cord under a tile to heat the basking ledge and its probably cheaper to run instead of the ceramics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back