New here..new to snakes and unfortunately need a vet!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EricaBas

Reaction score
Hi All,
We bought a lovely little maculosa 2 weeks ago, and she's sick. I saw on here a few people discussing a vet Carolyn Anderson. I looked her up, and eventually found out she has retired. I am taking my sick little girl to another vet in Warradale tomorrow, so will let you know how that goes, and if I can make a recommendation.

You could also Try Pimm needham vet theyre on greenhill road.
They'd be closer to you, reptile vets are far and few between and they are highly recommended by members here

What makes you suspect she is sick ?

Last edited:
You could also Try Pimm needham vet theyre on greenhill road.
They'd be closer to you, reptile vets are far and few between and they are highly recommended by members here

What makes you suspect she is sick ?

Clicking, gunky mouth. Kind of erratic movements. I've cleaned the gunk from around her mouth once or twice a day with cooled boiled water, for a few days until she could open it again.

Rang Him tonight because she had a weird twisting episode and now she's stiff...he said keep her warm and bring her in in the morning

Sounds like severe advanced RI, hope everything works out ok.
Secondary to the snakes welfare, I'd be having a good long chat with the seller/breeder.

Unfortunately she had a seizure kind of thing and went stiff last night. Vet said it was likely she was calcium and phos deficient . Vet recommended I don't got back to seller, but as I had seen mites as well, I thought I would let the seller know. He was more apologetic than I expected, and is talking to his supplier URS and checking his other animals for mites. Will also do me a deal if I buy another from him.

I am sorry to hear about your little one :(
I have a mac and would hate for her to die.
I know the breeder was apologetic and said he would give you a discount but honestly I would not by from the seller again.

Sorry again for your loss :(
And welcome to the forum.

Pfffft... Giving you a discount. A good breeder would give you a replacement animal or a refund, if you had only had it for a couple of weeks.

I would not go back to the breeder. There is no excuse to sell a sick animal with mites. I wouldn't be giving them any more money only a piece of my mind.

I am sorry for your loss. It sounds like you did the right thing and I hope this doesn't scare you away from the hobby as reptiles really are great animals.

You've had a rough time. Sorry you had to go through this. Make sure you disinfect the enclosure before you buy again.
I'm sure there are some reputable breeders here that could sell you a healthy animal :)

welcome and sorry about your bad experience and you just joined the hobby, what a bad start. but i'm glad you did the right thing seeking vet assistance.

next time look for a reputable breed on here as there are many and you can get a healthy quality snake.

Thanks Everyone, I feel very welcomed.
I did go back to pet shop. They were shocked at my story and as they get all their reptiles from URS, they also spoke to URS. They told me they had only had those babies for a week or so.
I suspect I just happened to get a weak baby.
We weren't scared off at all! In fact both kids and I were so attached to her in the short time we had her, we had a little funeral on Sunday.
I got another mac today, same pet shop, same age but very different. She's much bigger, fatter, ate yesterday, and she's really fast! In just a few hours we can already see the difference in her vigour. Her name is Squizzy....sons choice!
Pet shop gave me discount and threw in a few bits and pieces. I did want to give them benefit of doubt, and hopefully this time we have a healthier girl!

Welcome and I am aso sorry to hear :( I remember I lost my first spotted 2 weeks after having him :( It was a heartbreaking experience and I know how devestating it is :(

You should have gotten a replacement or a full refund, not a discount. Pet stores can be rip-offs at times :evil:

They are beautiful snakes, Squizzy shall live long and prosper!!!!!! :D;)

(Oh, and pictures are mandatory! :p:p:p)

She's getting used to enclosure, but I will be pretty snap happy with her in a few days

Just a quick update. Squizzy is doing great, she is very active and interactive. She ate for the first time for us tonight. A big sigh of relief!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back