Have to get rid of entire collection

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
why not ask someone to keep them for awhile until you are able to have them again if you live in NSW i would be happy to look after some of them for you :D

nick

just a note, I'm in a "NO PETS" rental and after talking with the real estate they have no problems with animals in enclosures, we now have two cockatiels, two blueys in a 3foot enclosure in the kitchen and a semi converted wardrobe in the lounge room for snakes (only 1atm) and a 4foot fish tank. so move into a place that has a bit of ware an tear and they shouldn't have a problem with it. Also get a good repour with your agent, it helps allot, espesialy if you wanto move and use the sane real estate they will grant you a preference :D we went from crap little 2 beddy to 4bed 2bath without the property being advertised for lease.

Last edited:
cool thanks for the info Snowballz.
All should be good I am feeling much better and look forward to the next chapter in my life

Chin up bud, easy for us to say, but u have all us here on aps

You're 28 mate, you should have moved out of your parents house years ago and spent the thousands of dollars on setting your self up instead of on reptiles.

Use this as a learning curve and change what needs to be changed, sorry to be harsh but your an adult blaming your mum for problems in your life.

Charming, your a blast of fresh air aren't you. Geez wake up life's not the same for everyone.

Adam glad you've found somewhere mate,...if you need help again please ask. ;)

I thought your aloud to keep reptiles as they are classed as a hobby not a pet my borther works in real estate and thats what he said its more so cats and dogs that you cant keep if it says no pets.

I thought your aloud to keep reptiles as they are classed as a hobby not a pet my borther works in real estate and thats what he said its more so cats and dogs that you cant keep if it says no pets.

I was told this aswell as im currentlt looking for a new place and was worried my snakes would affect my application.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

Depends on state and real estate agents. They are not classified as a hobby here in SA, I just didn't tell my agents and have had no dramas with inspections. A lot of places will also reject fish tanks due to the damage a cracked tank can cause to floors, carpets, walls ect.

Rick

I found a cool place that I am going to apply for to rent. Hopefully all goes well. I am going to take the reptiles with me and if they say anything then I will house them at my uncles. THanks for all the support. I really appreciate it! :)

I found a cool place that I am going to apply for to rent. Hopefully all goes well. I am going to take the reptiles with me and if they say anything then I will house them at my uncles. THanks for all the support. I really appreciate it! :)

Yep, I'm sure they won't mind. Just make sure it is clean and well presented.

Rick

Last edited:
I would think it was up to the owner and not an interpretation of the law.

Why take the reptiles ?
It's against license conditions in most states and even if it weren't, you might be unlucky and get an agent who doesn't like lizards or snakes !
Just ask if there is an issue with lizards if they say no, then ask about snakes, if they seem a little hesitant let them know they're pythons, not venomous (if that is the case) and they're kept in locked enclosures, not free roaming the house.
With the lack of knowledge most people have regarding snakes you'll be amazed at the number of people that think they free roam the house and go back to the enclosure like a dog goes to a kennel.
You're doing the right thing by being up front, it will save later problems, I'd go about it differently than you've suggested though :)

I would just let the real estate agent know you keep them. I told my real estate agent up front and they did not have a problem. The one thing you have to make clear is that the animals are in cages and not let out. Unless they are a biased anti-reptile a-hole there shouldn't be a problem. The only thing they care about when it comes to pets is property damage.

Sorry to hear mate. As others have said I would gladly look after one for you if I was closer.

I find that real estates don't mind animals in enclosures. I have 2 large fish tanks and when they did the inspection they just said "oh they're nice!".

On a related note, real estates aren't allowed to look through your cupboards ;)

In qld they can look in cupboards, but they need some sort of justification. It's a grey area with the rta. There's nothing in the rule book to say that they can or can't look in cupboards. Make sure you're home, put a blanket over them and if they r being nosey, ask them what the hello they're doing :)

Last edited:
You can keep reptiles in a rental property in nsw its obvious you inform the real estate first. In the laws for nsw renting reptiles are considered a hobby and not classed as pet. That's what i know so even if you don't tell anyone it shouldn't be a problem. Tenants have as much rights as the owner. As long as you pay on time and keep the house clean there shouldn't be any problem

Try out an ad up on Gumtree for accommodation wanted, there are lots of private rentals out there by like-minded pet-lovers :)

I also live in a rental and was up front with the landlords and they allowed my snakes. They were actually quite intrigued and I had the same reaction from a real estate agent who used to agent the house. I've also had many many people walk straight past the enclosures and not even notice whats in them. It's usually fury animals that they don't like.

Also just to note, for a bit of empathy, I've been in the same boat. Less than 10 weeks ago actually, though I have a smaller collection, they're all priceless when it comes to our pets. Just keep looking for those opportunities mate they won't find you.

Jump out of that frying pan and into the fire, it's the only way you will get the drive to get through it, and believe me, you will :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back