Breeding Atherton Jungle to Darwin Carpet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildthings

Reaction score
What I want to know, havnt bred my snakes ever :/ and not sure what allowed and whats not. Is it ok to breed a Darwin to an Atherton ?

What I want to know, havnt bred my snakes ever :/ and not sure what allowed and whats not. Is it ok to breed a Darwin to an Atherton ?

It's better u do some research via this site or google and make your own mind up before posting such question on here ... I'm ducking but read what Fuscis has posted

Just wondering why you would want to do that? Are you breeding to create interesting colours or?

Bad idea to post this here, it's a good way to get unpopular fast (or at least get some serious "debate" going), another thing you may want to consider is that hybridizing subspecies will likely result in no "serious" reptile keeper with breedign intent willing to buy from you... ever (speaking for myself and other "purists" here).

read what fuscus posted...

as to my own personal opinion

Legally, maybe you could
Morally, nonononononononononononononononononono, not a chance unless they were the last 2 morelia on earth or you could show them to be natural integrades and you will clearly describe them as that (fat chance of that..)

Calm down guys ... Let him research... Bagging out wont get any were... We all started somewhere

Bad idea to post this here, it's a good way to get unpopular fast (or at least get some serious "debate" going), another thing you may want to consider is that hybridizing subspecies will likely result in no "serious" reptile keeper with breedign intent willing to buy from you... ever (speaking for myself and other "purists" here).

read what fuscus posted...

as to my own personal opinion

Legally, maybe you could
Morally, nonononononononononononononononononono, not a chance unless they were the last 2 morelia on earth or you could show them to be natural integrades and you will clearly describe them as that (fat chance of that..)
..... I was a purist but after lots of research around the world and I lived in the UK for 37 yrs... I now own a jag... An I a bad person?.... I just wanted to experience owning one....sign of the times... But I'm also progressing in breeding my pures

..... I was a purist but after lots of research around the world and I lived in the UK for 37 yrs... I now own a jag... An I a bad person?.... I just wanted to experience owning one....sign of the times... But I'm also progressing in breeding my pures

Nothing wrong with jags so long as they are pure coastal jags (which is where that particular gene was first bred in and traces back to), which is probably as rare as hens teeth nowadays, having said that a jungle jag with a recorded ancestry of 10 or 20 generations pure jungle (again probably as rare as hens teeth) or similar is probably just as good as a coastal one, when i comes to genetic " purity". the problem with crossbreeding is that it weakens the "natural" lines and produces a lot of undesirable crossbreeds for "few" desirable animals. Just crossbreeding 2 subspecies for the sake of it just strikes as me as plain dumb though, but who am i to tell people what to do, it's just my opinion :)

I wonder if he would have gotten flamed if he put up pics of a JAG and an atherton and was going to breed them together...!!!!. Apparenetly if you have a JAG, you can cross it with anything and it doesn't matter, so why should this be any different..???

Daz

As above I do not see a difference between jag cross breeding and this. There are MD Jags and Bredli Jags and then diamonds crossed with all sorts. If the snake turns out nice people will buy them and if they don't people won't.

Nothing wrong with jags so long as they are pure coastal jags (which is where that particular gene was first bred in and traces back to), which is probably as rare as hens teeth nowadays, having said that a jungle jag with a recorded ancestry of 10 or 20 generations pure jungle (again probably as rare as hens teeth) or similar is probably just as good as a coastal one, when i comes to genetic " purity". the problem with crossbreeding is that it weakens the "natural" lines and produces a lot of undesirable crossbreeds for "few" desirable animals. Just crossbreeding 2 subspecies for the sake of it just strikes as me as plain dumb though, but who am i to tell people what to do, it's just my opinion :)
Read my post again... Where did I state I was breeding my Jag?... I love my pures TY

Go for it! you are legally allowed too. But I will never buy from you, even if you promise other breeds purity.
Just like I will have no dealings with a jag breeder, when I am into jungles.
It is what it is.

I think the question has been well and truly answered and to OP has been given food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back