New Coastal Carpet Python, And A Few Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoskiWoski

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here, but not new to reptile forums. I decided to join because I just acquired a Coastal Carpet Python, and I hear this is where the pros are.

Anyway, he is about 14 months old, 175 grams, and 1M long. He seems very healthy. He is active and very docile. A great snake!!

He just graduated to weaned rats before I got him. The breeder was feeding him every two weeks. Should I bump him up to a weekly feeding schedule? I want him to reach his full potential.

Is 1M a little small for a 14 month Coastal? And if so, will I be able to get him back on track?

What can I expect over the next 6 months to a year, as far as size, with an increased feeding schedule? (If that's what I'm advised to do)

The thing with Coastals is, there are a lot of care sheets but they all seem to be different. I've talked to a couple owners, and they all have different opinions.

Oh, and also, it's been raining a ton here and humidity is in the 65-70 percent range. Should I be concerned with this? It will dry up soon, but since the humidity is high outside, it's hard to keep it down inside. On the flip side, my Amazon Tree Boa loves it. Haha.

Sorry for all the questions on my first post. Hopefully everyone won't hate me.... Yet. :D

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 239
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 223
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 248
Welcome to our forums. :)
I'm sure that you'll get friendly and competent advice here, especially in regards to your Coastal Carpet Python, which is one of the most commonly kept pythons here in Australia.

He just graduated to weaned rats before I got him. The breeder was feeding him every two weeks. Should I bump him up to a weekly feeding schedule? I want him to reach his full potential.
I would keep the food item the same size as it is currently used to, until the snake has been with you for a few months; especially considering that it has only recently been upsized.

Is 1M a little small for a 14 month Coastal? And if so, will I be able to get him back on track?
One metre sounds about right for a yearling Carpet Python.

Oh, and also, it's been raining a ton here and humidity is in the 65-70 percent range. Should I be concerned with this? It will dry up soon, but since the humidity is high outside, it's hard to keep it down inside. On the flip side, my Amazon Tree Boa loves it. Haha.
There's no need to be concerned about humidity in that range, as long as there's good ventilation and adequate warmth. This type of snake experiences humidity in this range regularly within their natural range.

Last edited:
Thanks, Bushman!!

In regards to feeding, I plan on keeping him on weenlings for a little while. Especially since I bought a bag of 25. I guess the real question here is, should I feed him every 7 days or every 14 days? Or somewherein between, like every 10 days? The breeder was feeding every 14 days, but I'm sure it was to keep him at a manageable size for selling and shipping purposes.

Thank you for your speedy response and the great information. I really appreciate it.

Thanks, Bushman!!

In regards to feeding, I plan on keeping him on weenlings for a little while. Especially since I bought a bag of 25. I guess the real question here is, should I feed him every 7 days or every 14 days? Or somewherein between, like every 10 days? The breeder was feeding every 14 days, but I'm sure it was to keep him at a manageable size for selling and shipping purposes.
Thank you for your speedy response and the great information. I really appreciate it.
give him 2 weaners at a time :3

No worries mate! It's mid-summer where you are, so you could safely increase the feeding frequency to every 10 days. It's probably a better approach to increase the frequency of moderate sized food items rather than increase the size at this stage.
After a few feeds at ten days apart, you could increase the frequency to once a week, as your snake does look quite lean and ideally should be a bit more robust in my opinion.

Last edited:
No worries mate! It's mid-summer where you are, so you could safely increase the feeding frequency to every 10 days. It's probably a better approach to increase the frequency of moderate sized food items rather than increase the size at this stage.
After a few feeds at ten days apart, you could increase the frequency to once a week, as your snake does look quite lean and ideally should be a bit more robust in my opinion.

Thanks, I will do that. I thought he looked a little lean also. I don't want a fat snake, but I want him to be completely healthy. I appreciate your advise.

their snake weighs 175g. 2 weaners would be about 100g. do you see a problem there?

my youngest coastal is 16 months and 250g so I have some sort of an idea.

Yeah, I thought that was a little too much. Haha. Overkill.

175g at 14 months seems pretty close to what he should be if yours is 250g at 16 months. Mine is a little underweight maybe. But some breeders here (USA) try to keep snakes small for selling and shipping purposes. I'm sure if I do as Bushman suggested, go to a 10 day schedule, then to a 7 day schedule, he should be able to get back on track. Does that sound about right?

Hmm, his parents were Coastals. It would be quite a surprise if he was something else. What would you suggest he is?
Its commonly know as a great looking Coastal and people will be jealous....as previous said at that age a 7/10 day feed is about right just as long as you see a slight bulge...I say this as people do the weight thingy and IMO its better to see visual that your snake has a bulge and satisfied.....any more than stated will be power feeding but since its your summer any less will prob not get much growth.........Fantastic looking striped coastal you have there (I have 4 carpets but none coastal....this one I like lol)...Ta Pete

Thanks, Pete.

They call them Tiger Coastals here in the States, due to the striping. I'm not sure if you call them the same on that side of the globe. :) Thanks a lot for the complement. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. In fact, I couldn't be happier.

As for the bulge, I fed him a 30g weaner rat last night and it showed a slight bulge, it was noticeable, but not huge. After he ate, he was all over the cage. Cruising around all night. Tonight he's being very active again. This is my first Coastal so I don't want to over feed him, or power feed him. But I definitely don't want to under feed him. The breeder told be he had just graduated to weaners, so I bought a 25 pack and figured I'd start with the smallest and work my way up. They are between 30g and 60g.

If he is this active, and was active immediately after he ate, does this mean he is still hungry?

Thanks, Pete.

They call them Tiger Coastals here in the States, due to the striping. I'm not sure if you call them the same on that side of the globe. :) Thanks a lot for the complement. I'm very satisfied with my purchase. In fact, I couldn't be happier.

As for the bulge, I fed him a 30g weaner rat last night and it showed a slight bulge, it was noticeable, but not huge. After he ate, he was all over the cage. Cruising around all night. Tonight he's being very active again. This is my first Coastal so I don't want to over feed him, or power feed him. But I definitely don't want to under feed him. The breeder told be he had just graduated to weaners, so I bought a 25 pack and figured I'd start with the smallest and work my way up. They are between 30g and 60g.

If he is this active, and was active immediately after he ate, does this mean he is still hungry?
IMO I would have fed your Coastal 2 and then do same every 7 days....good handling sessions after 3/4 days after feed....this is just how I feed mine but others will agree or disagree.......I personally feed Hatchie's every 5 days till there about 6 months old then I go to 7 days....at a yr I go to 10 days and at 2 yrs of age I either feed rats and day old chicks fortnightly or a rabbit a month.....all to there own really but coastals grow fast and big without getting over weight unless u just keep pilling in the food (not advisable)....if u worried it a little small for its age just stick to weekly till u use ya food ya just got then I would go to 10 days but up the food item size...should grow nice and consistent.......looks fantastic and not underweight ...maybe just a little small but in the wild they grow at a slow rate unless they live in a rodent toxicated environment :)

Yeah, I thought that was a little too much. Haha. Overkill.

175g at 14 months seems pretty close to what he should be if yours is 250g at 16 months. Mine is a little underweight maybe. But some breeders here (USA) try to keep snakes small for selling and shipping purposes. I'm sure if I do as Bushman suggested, go to a 10 day schedule, then to a 7 day schedule, he should be able to get back on track. Does that sound about right?
mine gets a 50g weaner rat every 7 days. If I was you I would feed a 35g rat every 10 days and as bushman said, after a few feeds you could think about cutting it down to every 7 days.

It looks very jungle-like to me. As he is from the US it's hard to know the true species. It looks like some irian jaya thrown in there somewhere
Jungle??? Get out of here.... Coastal all the way

Wow! Everyone has been so helpful. I really appreciate all the feedback.

I'll probably start a 10 day cycle, then drop to a 7, also taking into account the size of the meal.

As for what he is, Coastal, Jungle, IJ. His mom was a 9ft Tiger Coastal and his dad was a 7ft Coastal Jag (at 4 years old). Some of his siblings had the Jag mutation, but honestly, I liked the look of him better. I know that here in the States there is a lot of cross breeding, but he was acquired from a very reputable breeder, and he would have no reason to lie to me. He had pictures ranging from copulation to hatch day, and follow up pictures until the day I purchased him. Regardless of what he is, I'm very happy with the outcome of my purchase and I wouldn't exchange him for anything. :D

Again, thank you all very much for all the help and advise. It's very appreciated.

i can see where Asharee133 would think there was some Jungle in there somewhere with the irregular voodoo pattern on the head but too me it looks all Coastal and a beautiful 1 at that, not all breeders in the good ole US of A dirty up the gene pool with 3 headed junglejackdiamondcentraliancoastals some of them actually like the look of the pure (or as close too) coastals, and why wouldn't they, some of our best pythons are Morelia's :) ..........................Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back