Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingfisher83

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to wanting a snake and to the Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forums.

I was just wondering if some people with experience could answer me some questions like:

Well, I want a python that isn't aggressive and that remains small and thin. Which I've heard are the Childrens Python, Stimsons Python and the Spotted Python but I don't know which one is best. I'm kind of leaning onto the Stimsons Python but I don't want something that's expensive for the overall setup and the python, since I'm a kid.

Should I get a baby/juvenile or should I get a adult?

How big of a enclosure can I have? Is 3 foot long ok, or will they get stressed in that size of a tank?

I've heard the Childrens Python and the ones I mentioned before aren't really climbers, is that true? And if they aren't climbers then does that matter if I've got a tall tank.

And can someone just give me some tips and advice

Thanks

from personal experience i'd go with a childrens or stimsons python as spotteds can be a bit more aggressive. i own a spotted and he is more likely to bit then one of my childrens pythons. 3ft tank is fine for 1, best off with a longer than taller tank. they are not really climbers but my childrens do climb at night. get a hatchie so you can watch it grow and learn, also a hatchies bite does not hurt and at their size is less intimidating for you.

best tip i can give you is buy from a well known and trusted breeder, also ask for one that aint aggressive.

Children's are very calm from my experience and go from $80-150
Get a baby :p (i did)
Enclosure needs to be atleast half the length of what they are and upgrade as they size (i use tubs make sure it has a lid if ur using racks because they always get out)
they wont climb they will hide in the tank all day and come out at night at about 10pm +
Does that answer everything?

Please correct me if anything is wrong

Another tip, if you can buy from a private breeder as oposed to a pet shop that would be better because the private breeder will be cheaper and generally the snakes are looked after better. Have you considered a Woma python as well? It was my first snake and they are awesome :)

I an new to the snake thing too, and initially wanted a high yellow jungle python because they looked so cool.

I ended up getting a woma hatchie and he's been absolutely amazing. I highly recommend a woma, definitely from a private breeder with a good reputation. Defs get a hatchie, unless you want a snake to just keep in a tank and look at.

The breeder I bought my Steve from also said bredli pythons are great for a newbie.

Hope that helps :)

Welcome to the forum. I personally would have to say that out of the ones you listed, Spotteds are my favorite. It's usually recommended that you get a baby that way you can watch it grow and become more comfortable with it as it gets bigger. While they're babies you keep them in tubs or "click clacks", but as they get bigger you can put them in an enclosure. That size should be fine for one, I don't think it'd freak out too much, as long as you have some hiding places you should be fine. A lot of people I've known have kept their Spotteds in slightly taller tanks and that's worked out just fine for them so you shouldn't have a problem :) If you have any more questions you can always message me.

All snakes are different, but my stimson's python is puppy dog tame. my advice to you to stick with your gut, these guys are incredible. they eat like crazy mine will never turn down a meal even before shed, which gives you piece of mind when caring also, with other snakes you need perfect conditions or else they wont eat and have all these other issues. your looking at a $600 pet.

$150-200 for the snake
$200 for a tank
$100 for the heating plus fixtures (ceraminc bulbs are the ***** i recommend those)
$30 for substrate (kritters krumble i suggest)
$20-$40 for 2 hides (i recommend)
and maybe 30 on the side for any decore
then you will want a thermostat with can range form $20 to well over $200
i again if you have the money left over buy a more expensive one.
i got a $190 thermostat which dims the heat but more importantly comes with a 5 year warranty meaning im not going to have to replace one every now and then.

now i do the math thats abit over $600 Ohh well enjoy :)

If you are looking at a hatching, as already stated you can get away with a plastic tub on a heat cord which can be quiet inexpensive. I've previously offered the option when selling my spotted python hatchlings ($150) to get a beginner set up ($100) which included tub, heatcord, thermostat, hide, waterbowl and climbing equipment. So only $250 to be completely set up. As the python grows you can just upside the plastic tub, and during this time save up for a proper enclosure for when they get a bit older. As its currently mating season, a lot of hatchlings will be available from November on otherwise you probably won't get younger than 6 months old at the moment. I agree with above to start with a hatchling so you can watch it grow and learn its temperament. I have 4 spotted pythons, 2 are puppy dogs and wouldn't bite a thing, another has only bitten once in 6 years. There's one who strikes at anything that moves. With all pythons you'll get different temperaments.

Just thought i would mention that if you do get an older/adult snake does not mean it has just to stay in its enclosure. Adults can be handled it comes down to the individual snake and if the previous owner handled it.

Also womas are awesome however some can be a little food crazy and this may put off a beginner. If you are looking for a snake that will stay "small and skinny" a woma is not a good choice.

I personally would recommend a childrens

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

I'd recommend a Childrens, they're awesome snakes. But make sure you get a baby, I got mine as a yearling and he's an aggressive bugger.

Defs get a hatchie, unless you want a snake to just keep in a tank and look at.

Actually, this isn't usually the case, I bought my Woma when he was 4.5yrs and he is handled regularly, and more placid than my other 2. You can buy adults that are good handlers, just depends on who raised them and what their purpose was (e.g. breeder, pet, show etc).

In some cases, you'll find an older snake is more settled than a hatchy.

But my first was bought as a hatchy with no dramas, if you do get them when they're smaller you can grow & learn with each other. :)

Any of the ones you mentioned are fine.Just get the type that you like the look of the most.

Also womas are awesome however some can be a little food crazy and this may put off a beginner. If you are looking for a snake that will stay "small and skinny" a woma is not a good choice.

Womas are definitely food crazy! But I haven't been bitten (yet!) by mine.

Do womas get fat? The older ones look fairly thin compared to jungles of the same age.

Thank you everyone for answering my questions. I still have to save up and convince my parents.

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. I still have to save up and convince my parents since I'm only 12.

Look children's are nice, but they lose most of their pattern when they get older which can really disappoint. when other snake grow even more gorgeous with age.

King make sure this isnt a impulse buy. learn everything you need to know, and after a month or two of you asking your parents they will see that you really want this and you will prove to them it isnt a impulse buy. if they are still edgy my pro tip to convince parents, start looking for tanks and stuff (dont buy anything untill they allow you to get the snake). start talking to them about where the best prices are and such, when you feel like they are about to give way and let you get one, ask them to take you to a pet store "just to look" show them a couple of snakes and such you dont have to buy it but it will help your case. if its a fear of snakes thats stopping them, make some boundaries like it will never leave your room if its out of the tank for handling and cleaning, also if they agree show them a few videos. maybe show them this Fear of Snakes : SnakeBytesTV - YouTube also check out his other videos he is a major breeder in america.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back