New Coastal Carpet Python, And A Few Questions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well one thing we can be sure of is its definitely morelia spilota , anything else is a guess really but it does look a hell of alot like a coastal , more than it does jungle so seeing as its all the way over in America whats the harm in calling it a coastal ? does it really affect you , way over here in Australia?

He is a little brighter in color than some I've seen. I attribute that to his father being a Jag. The breeder, like I said, is reputable. He is NOT a "Cross Breeder". But you're right, Ron, there are a ton of mutts here in the US. I had a Jungle years ago, and when I decided to get another Carpet, a pure Jungle was almost impossible to find. Believe it or not, Coastals are one of the rarer Carpets here in the States, so it's easier to find a pure bred.

And honestly, like I said, at this point it doesn't matter to me what he is. He is awesome!! Haha. With Mom being 9ft and Dad being 7ft, I'm sure he will grow to be an amazing python.

Thanks to everyone for the complements. :D

Another quick question, the enclosure I am going to build for him will be 1220mm Wide x 610mm deep x 1015mm High. Will this be big enough to last him quite a while? Maybe even his entire life?

I also heard aside from climbing branches, they will make use of a shelf. Correct?

Hello everyone. I'm new here, but not new to reptile forums. I decided to join because I just acquired a Coastal Carpet Python, and I hear this is where the pros are.

Anyway, he is about 14 months old, 175 grams, and 1M long. He seems very healthy. He is active and very docile. A great snake!!

He just graduated to weaned rats before I got him. The breeder was feeding him every two weeks. Should I bump him up to a weekly feeding schedule? I want him to reach his full potential.

Is 1M a little small for a 14 month Coastal? And if so, will I be able to get him back on track?

What can I expect over the next 6 months to a year, as far as size, with an increased feeding schedule? (If that's what I'm advised to do)

The thing with Coastals is, there are a lot of care sheets but they all seem to be different. I've talked to a couple owners, and they all have different opinions.

Oh, and also, it's been raining a ton here and humidity is in the 65-70 percent range. Should I be concerned with this? It will dry up soon, but since the humidity is high outside, it's hard to keep it down inside. On the flip side, my Amazon Tree Boa loves it. Haha.

Sorry for all the questions on my first post. Hopefully everyone won't hate me.... Yet. :D

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.
I don't power feed my animals, so one weaner rat per fortnight between 12-24 months is ideal from my POV, I have about a dozen or so Coastals and several other carpets and thats a fair amount to feed any carpet at that age, don't be in a rush to feed him up, let him go at a natural pace for his health.

I agree. I don't want to risk his health. Will this effect his overall growth?

AHA! Told you I'm not going mad! He's very pretty and I'm not trying to start anything, a pure coastal doesn't have defined head markings like that. Not usually.

Well, it looks like this one does! Haha. Just kidding with you. :D

AHA! Told you I'm not going mad! He's very pretty and I'm not trying to start anything, a pure coastal doesn't have defined head markings like that. Not usually.
not all, depending whether its from the south or the north. I have a few with defined head markings.

I agree. I don't want to risk his health. Will this effect his overall growth?
I have had no problems with any of mine. Then again I have one or two that are guts feeders and they look at you kind of asking 'Where's the rest?', because I have a fair few animals, I stick to the feeding regime, althopugh its not a constant, that much I would like to add, some fortnights your animal may want more or even less.

I'm going to watch his nightly behavior, see if he looks like he's hunting. I'll probably offer him another meal 10 days from the last and see how he takes it. And again, just keep checking his behavior. I don't want to stuff him, but I don't want him to be hungry. He completely depends on me for food, and I don't want to disappoint him.

Here's a couple pics I shot today. His basking spot was running a couple degrees high and he was sitting in the floor in the cooler area, so I bumped it back 2 degrees (Fahrenheit). An hour later he was on his perch, basking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.6 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 52
His basking temp is between 30-32 degrees Celsius. At this temp he crawls up and basks. His cool side is around 23-24 degrees Celsius. Do these temps sound about right?

Temps are good m8 although if it were me i would try not to let it fall too much below the 32 deg C 32-34 deg C is optimum, in answer to your earlier question about a shelf to bask on: it is purely up to you as the coastal will prop basically anywhere it feels comfortable but given a shelf with a basking light directly overhead with temps in the 32-34 range it will happily use the shelf to digest it's food, again i congratulate you on getting such a stunning worm :) .....................................Ron

Temps are good m8 although if it were me i would try not to let it fall too much below the 32 deg C 32-34 deg C is optimum

Sounds good. I'll bump it up another degree or two and keep checking temps. That 32-34 is the basking temp, right? That would be the temp on the perch under the basking light? Because the ground on the warm side is a little cooler than 32. And from there to the cool side it is a down gradient to about 23-24.

Sounds good. I'll bump it up another degree or two and keep checking temps. That 32-34 is the basking temp, right? That would be the temp on the perch under the basking light? Because the ground on the warm side is a little cooler than 32. And from there to the cool side it is a down gradient to about 23-24.
Trust me, you won't disappoint him, he isn't human and doesn't have our feelings. Alot of people need to be aware of the fact that snakes have temperaments like cats to a degree, no matter what you feed them, if they get out they can be self sufficinet, its hard wired into them, plus they don't have any emotional concern for you at all. Only familiarity, what they recognise, whats safe to them, food, heat, hide etc, is all they recognise, primitive yes. While I'd love to beleive my carpets are attached to me and have emotions and respond to my voice, they are still predators and only have their own concerns at heart and mind.

any basking spots are 30 + cms from the light/heat source, pop your little probe thingy where he's going to bask, that's the spot that you want around 34c and the rest sounds perfect, I like the look of his enclosure, you'll have to pop up a pic of the whole thing for us to see and I'm still jealous :D

Thanks a lot for taking the time to answer my questions. You've all been really helpful. I appreciate it a ton!!

And I know animals like this have no emotion. Haha. But like you said, I'd like to believe they have some sort of attachment to me. Sometimes when I walk up to the enclosure and they go and hide, I want to say "Nooooo!! You don't have to hide from me, I'm your buddy!!" Haha.

I will say though, they do recognize my scent. I truly believe that. If I have one of my snakes out and I try to let someone hold it, sometimes it's a chore, because they keep coming back to me. I think they just know I'm a safe place. I guess what I meant by I don't want to disappoint him was, I don't want to fail as a keeper and have his life and hi health suffer because of it. Ya know?!

Again, thanks for the advise everyone.

any basking spots are 30 + cms from the light/heat source, pop your little probe thingy where he's going to bask, that's the spot that you want around 34c and the rest sounds perfect, I like the look of his enclosure, you'll have to pop up a pic of the whole thing for us to see and I'm still jealous :D

Thanks again. And right now I have my stat probe taped to the back wall on the warm side about 1/2 way between the top and the bottom. If I were to put the probe on his actual basking spot, couldn't he lay in it and cover it, causing the stat to not shut off? I've seen lots of pics with probes on the actual basking perch, and I've always wondered what happens if the snake lays on it?!

Thanks again. And right now I have my stat probe taped to the back wall on the warm side about 1/2 way between the top and the bottom. If I were to put the probe on his actual basking spot, couldn't he lay in it and cover it, causing the stat to not shut off? I've seen lots of pics with probes on the actual basking perch, and I've always wondered what happens if the snake lays on it?!

I question that too, would think setting it up as you have is most suitable an checking temps every few days for any fluctuation.

Rick

Yeah, it just seems dangerous if the probe is covered. I have it taped and bent out a little, so it's not touching the back wall. It's just kind of suspended there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back