Temperature Probe Location

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MoskiWoski

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I feel like I've been having problems getting my temps stabilized. I use a thermostat with a probe and have it taped to the back wall about 1 cm from my Coastals basking perch, at about the same height. I have my stat set at 27-28, but when I read the temp of his basking perch (infrared temp gun) it will be anywhere from 31 to 36. If I turn it down, I feel like I'm going to let the whole cage cool down too much.

Where do you place your probe to get an accurate reading? I feel that since the probe is a cm away from the basking spot, I SHOULD be able to set it to 32 and be done with it. But if I have it set to 28 now, and the surface temp of his perch is up to 36 at times, I would cook him. And if I put the probe directly on his perch, he could lay on it, causing it to not shut off properly. For some reason this is the only setup I've ever had this problem with. The cage is only 30cm high, and his basking perch is about 10cm from the top. Is it too high?

They say the best way to check temps is with an infrared gun. That reads surface temp only. Not ambient temp. So this is saying my ambient temp is 28, but the surface temp of his perch (one cm away, is 36. Does this sound right??

Sorry this is so long. Where do you place your probes and what temp to you set the stat to obtain a 32-34 basking spot??

My cool side goes down to 22. If the temps get too hot under his lamp, will he just move to a cooler location? Or could it potentially hurt him??

Thank you very much to anyone and everyone that replies.

Casey

Just a warning, I wouldn't use sticky tape in your enclosure as it can cause damage to their scales if they get it stuck to them.

It sounds as though your probe it correctly placed, but 36 is too hot for a coastal, are you able to lower your perch at all? Also what wattage is your heat source?

I'm using a 60 watt black light bulb. And yes, I can lower the perch a little if you think that will help. And yeah, I'm shooting for temps between 32-34

The tape is very secure to the tank, but I can remove it no problem. Thank you for the tip. I really appreciate it.

It's late here in the States. I've go to get to bed. If I don't reply very quickly, I'm not being rude, I just fell asleep. Thanks again.

Is your thermostat reliable? If you have it set to turn your heat source off at 27-28 deg and its allowing the temp to reach 36 then you may need a new thermostat

Is your thermostat reliable? If you have it set to turn your heat source off at 27-28 deg and its allowing the temp to reach 36 then you may need a new thermostat
The thermostat may be reliable, just incorrectly programmed (with incorrect aim temperature and too wide a range (between upper and lower set temperatures), this should be easily fixed by setting the desired aim temperature and a smaller range. Consult the instruction sheet,

The probe needs to be at the point in the enclosure who's temperature you want to control. The further away it is the less likely you'll get good control of temperature at your aim temperature and the longer the lag in controller response in driving heat source.

I feel like I've been having problems getting my temps stabilized. I use a thermostat with a probe and have it taped to the back wall about 1 cm from my Coastals basking perch, at about the same height. I have my stat set at 27-28, but when I read the temp of his basking perch (infrared temp gun) it will be anywhere from 31 to 36. If I turn it down, I feel like I'm going to let the whole cage cool down too much.

Where do you place your probe to get an accurate reading? I feel that since the probe is a cm away from the basking spot, I SHOULD be able to set it to 32 and be done with it. But if I have it set to 28 now, and the surface temp of his perch is up to 36 at times, I would cook him. And if I put the probe directly on his perch, he could lay on it, causing it to not shut off properly. For some reason this is the only setup I've ever had this problem with. The cage is only 30cm high, and his basking perch is about 10cm from the top. Is it too high?

They say the best way to check temps is with an infrared gun. That reads surface temp only. Not ambient temp. So this is saying my ambient temp is 28, but the surface temp of his perch (one cm away, is 36. Does this sound right??

Sorry this is so long. Where do you place your probes and what temp to you set the stat to obtain a 32-34 basking spot??

My cool side goes down to 22. If the temps get too hot under his lamp, will he just move to a cooler location? Or could it potentially hurt him??

Thank you very much to anyone and everyone that replies.

Casey

36 degrees is fine for surface temp at the basking spot, a snakes not going to burn under that. If the ambient temp was that high throughout the enclosure it might cause a problem but localised its not an issue. These animals have evolved having to regulate their temperatures by moving to and from heat sources. So long as you have a gradient and no surfaces are going to burn the snake on contact you wont have an issue.

Thanks for the replies. I checked calibration and its within 1/2 degree. The differential is set at 1 degree, the lowest possible setting. I feel kinda stupid, because I do heating and air conditioning for a living. Haha. But I'm used to controlling ambient temperature for entire buildings, not basking temperatures of glass tanks.

What I ended up doing is just cutting the perch down about 2 cm. lowering it from the heat source. Now I'm running 34 max. I just liked the look of the enclosure, and didn't want to take half the stuff out to cut down the perch. Haha. I didn't know if I had my probe in the wrong location for controlling basking temp. Like I said, I'm used to controlling ambient temp.

Thanks for all of your help, everyone. I really appreciate it.

36 degrees is fine for surface temp at the basking spot, a snakes not going to burn under that. If the ambient temp was that high throughout the enclosure it might cause a problem but localised its not an issue. These animals have evolved having to regulate their temperatures by moving to and from heat sources. So long as you have a gradient and no surfaces are going to burn the snake on contact you wont have an issue.

I was thinking the same thing, but I didn't know if this was super critical or not. Thank you for the affirmation. His cool side is right on the money. So he should have no trouble thermoregulating.

Thanks again!

Casey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back