Oh, it is love.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pic's did not work you have to go to advanced then upload them

Can I enquire as to why you'd be putting two different sub-species in together?

Wondering when the question would be asked...

My reptile expert, a guy who's one of the largest reptile breeders in Australia, gave me Bellamy the coastal as a companion to her.
Not going to start the whole sub species argument, but they look good together.

You've got a little bookworm ;)

It is always frantic when they go missing, glad you found them bothe safely :)

My reptile expert, a guy who's one of the largest reptile breeders in Australia, gave me Bellamy the coastal as a companion to her.
Not going to start the whole sub species argument, but they look good together.
Expert hey?.... Dam I must be doing everything wrong then

Expert hey?.... Dam I must be doing everything wrong then

Not to start an argument, or put anyone's credentials into disrepute, but he is known quite well across Australia, especially as a breeder.
He didn't suggest to keep the snakes together, and doesn't himself unless for breeding, but when I enquired he said Bellamy would be a good choice.

Maybe you possibly could be ? Congratulations on you finding your animal djbowker and not entertaining the small minority :)

you think a breeder (expert) has put u down the right track?...u using glass enclosure?.....that u can't keep ya snakes in.....post a thread about how good they r together (but u had already lost them)....and rule 1 in snakes is keep them on there own for there own HEALTH and SAFETY......but u try to tell me that u think u r correct?..........this forum is for learning and ive done it tough the same as others...and learnt heaps in the process ....so im a little concerned for your "SNAKES" but really think u need to research and not listen to your TOP back street wonderful fantastic breeder....... no more comments on this thread from me... Pete

If you live in qld it might be worth checking the rules, can't find the information I'm after but I'm pretty sure it's illegal to cross breed in qld.

you think a breeder (expert) has put u down the right track?...u using glass enclosure?.....that u can't keep ya snakes in.....post a thread about how good they r together (but u had already lost them)....and rule 1 in snakes is keep them on there own for there own HEALTH and SAFETY......but u try to tell me that u think u r correct?..........this forum is for learning and ive done it tough the same as others...and learnt heaps in the process ....so im a little concerned for your "SNAKES" but really think u need to research and not listen to your TOP back street wonderful fantastic breeder....... no more comments on this thread from me... Pete

Ozimid take a breath and read what was actually written.

Not to start an argument, or put anyone's credentials into disrepute, but he is known quite well across Australia, especially as a breeder.
He didn't suggest to keep the snakes together, and doesn't himself unless for breeding, but when I enquired he said Bellamy would be a good choice.

I have very happy you found both your snakes. I think something that needs to be taken into account is that you said earlier you wanted your snake to have a companion. Snake do not get lonely or crave companionship. The fact that the breeder does not keep multiple animals together is interesting. I would suggest you separate them before they get to breeding age unless you have the intention to breed them.

Do you have any idea how they managed to escape? If you have sliding glass doors, there are plenty of pics floating around of snakes escaping through the gap in between them. If so my suggestion for housing underneath may be useful.

At six months they are a little young to breed if that is what you are worried about. I personally wouldn't keep any snakes together even if they were both the same subspecies except for breeding purposes.

At six months you could keep them in 30L tubs with heat cord underneath to heat both. Pretty cheap option which offers a lot of piece of mind. You can get some really good tubs which are virtually escape proof.

I hope you find her. I would be suprised if she went to far.

Ease up mate.

I would've left the glass door slightly open, and they got out. But I'm sure no one else has ever made that mistake.
It's a reptile one tank, but I'm sure with your expert opinion, it's not the right tank for snakes.

A lot of people keep snakes together, a lot of people don't, another local reptile man at Rockhampton's largest pet shop, keeps 4 of his carpets together, and has never had any difficulties.

If they fight, or start showing signs of aggression, they get separated. It's simple.

As I mentioned, he does not keep his snakes together, he merely gave me what I wanted, and pointed out snakes that can't go with her, and explained to me the legality.

And this 'back street' breeder, supplies mice to half of Queensland, as well as many new and exciting snakes morphs, which are all over the Internet.

And mate, get a dictionary, and use commas instead of constant...........

Last edited:
Ozimid take a breath and read what was actually written.

I have very happy you found both your snakes. I think something that needs to be taken into account is that you said earlier you wanted your snake to have a companion. Snake do not get lonely or crave companionship. The fact that the breeder does not keep multiple animals together is interesting. I would suggest you separate them before they get to breeding age unless you have the intention to breed them.

Do you have any idea how they managed to escape? If you have sliding glass doors, there are plenty of pics floating around of snakes escaping through the gap in between them. If so my suggestion for housing underneath may be useful.

Yeah mate, door was left slightly open, must've bumped it or something before leaving for work last night, it will be locked whenever I'm out of the house now, haha.

For now, while they're spending more and more nights wrapped around each other, I'll keep them together, and when breeding comes into account, I'll take into consideration.

But thanks mate, constructive criticism when constructive is good.

U know best

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
I would've left the glass door slightly open, and they got out. But I'm sure no one else has ever made that mistake.

You could bend some nails and lodge them in the tracks to stop the sliding doors from opening. That's what I do.

Similar to securing click clack lids with rubberbands. Learnt that one the hard way. Same as you. Found her though.

ozimid
- I'm not having a go at you mate (Before I ended up with two Coastals in the one enclosure I would of been as out spoken as you about it.)... The story goes like this.

Mine have lived fine together for years.
It's very similar to how they were kept by the previous owner. Going on 2 months now with not many issues.
Only the one time when I forgot to seperate tham at the first feed with me, that was fun.
Had not handled them since bringing them home then had to grab both of them and pull them apart before any real damage was done.
It can be done. I just don't think that jumping down Djbowker's throat really helps anything. We all make mistakes.

It's called research before making the mistakes.... Same old stories.... Don't wry I know people that do the same and also no thermostats and still don't listen so I'm only concerned for the reps... Keepers well u can't teach and old dog new tricks

I care for reps not for u.... But this thread has finished me regarding any advise via this forum.... Thanks guys

Haha u even got a pic in your albums showing a dog and cat looking at one of your snakes in a tub...u seriously should consider your actions buddy

You could bend some nails and lodge them in the tracks to stop the sliding doors from opening. That's what I do.

Similar to securing click clack lids with rubberbands. Learnt that one the hard way. Same as you. Found her though.

ozimid
- I'm not having a go at you mate (Before I ended up with two Coastals in the one enclosure I would of been as out spoken as you about it.)... The story goes like this.

Mine have lived fine together for years.
It's very similar to how they were kept by the previous owner. Going on 2 months now with not many issues.
Only the one time when I forgot to seperate tham at the first feed with me, that was fun.
Had not handled them since bringing them home then had to grab both of them and pull them apart before any real damage was done.
It can be done. I just don't think that jumping down Djbowker's throat really helps anything. We all make mistakes.
Check before u comment thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back