Best store bought incubator

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
is air flow a big concern. I have been told to wire up a computer fan or something to circulate the air.
The fan is to try to ensure that the temperature throughout the incubator is constant without dead spots. I use coke fridges as incubators, which are about 1.5m from floor to ceiling. Without the fan on you can get 2-3 degrees difference in temperature from bottom to top shelf. It is a little like the temperature gradient in a reptile cage. My fan also blows the air across water to maintain humidity.

Even with the fan in the little exo terra there was a temp difference from top to bottom. So the fan isn't to cycle fresh air into the incubator but rather to help stabilise the temperature, is that right?

I used an exo terra incubator for beardies last year. Just make sure you check the temp with a separate thermometer. It held temps ok but I had to set it at 33 degrees to get the desired 29 in the incubator. Luckily I checked it or I would have had some very cold eggs.

is air flow a big concern. I have been told to wire up a computer fan or something to circulate the air.

Small incubators dont need a fan (bar fridge), but if you were setting up something bigger its a good idea to use a fan (hot air rises, fan up top facing towards the bottom).

Rick

So the fan isn't to draw fresh air in its only to circulate the air to have a better gradient. Do you need vents on the incubator to allow fresh air to flow in or will that disrupt the temps too much.

So the fan isn't to draw fresh air in its only to circulate the air to have a better gradient. Do you need vents on the incubator to allow fresh air to flow in or will that disrupt the temps too much.

Most don't due to outside temps, fan is normally only for circulation so that it is all at one temp rather then top at 33 an bottom at 28.

Rick

I'm stuck, not sure how to hold the heatcord in the gaps ? Anyone ?

Just need to add THERMISTATE !

My incubator nearly ready to go ... Will put water bottles on the bottom .... If anyone has a suggestion as to what to improve that would be good

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 64
I'm stuck, not sure how to hold the heatcord in the gaps ? Anyone ?

I just used 10mm coreflute.

0c2807a0-b6e9-44ea-8bcd-000627d55da0_zps37789655.jpg

You can get it from bunnings. You want aluminium tape, high temp resistant and doesn't just fall off like others would.

Rick

No fumes I was originally going for aluminium tape but then someone suggested fumes off the aluminium but surely that would be only at the melting point 660 odd but even then I don't think it's that bad. We use it to keep food in so surely its ok... What are your thoughts ?

Last edited:
No fumes I was originally going for aluminium tape but then someone suggested fumes of the aluminium but surely that would be only at melting point 660 odd but even then I don't think it's that bad. We use it to keep food in so surely its ok... What are your thoughts ?

Should be no fumes. Plenty of people use it an don't have any issues.

yeah bunnings have them get a good one as some of the cheap ones come off easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back