Walking fish and python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Djbowker

Reaction score
So after being shutdown about a possible turtle/ snake combo, would a walking fish and water python combination be possible?
The only problem I can see is with water temp.

So after being shutdown about a possible turtle/ snake combo, would a walking fish and water python combination be possible?
The only problem I can see is with water temp.

If you can see a problem as crucial as temperature why are you even considering it?

Some-one will end up being a snack, don't forget snakes and lizards will quite happily eat each other as well as frogs and other cold blooded beings,,, and depends on what species, we keep dog and cats and birds etc together haha,, but I do have a separate aviary where I keep finches, red rumps, budgies and quail all very happy together..But as a person who rescues and administers first aid to injured, infested or just sick wildlife, it is best to keep most species separate to each other for a number of reasons, it the long run you will have far less problems, particularly with health issues, keeping them in the own species specific habitat.:D

Last edited:
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet but despite the name, water pythons are not semi-aquatic and only need a large bowl to soak in not a full aquarium. I keep my one basically the same as my other pythons.
They also generally have a crazy feeding response which means they'll eat anything they can fit in their mouth and possibly some things they can't(like hands or arms).

Maybe the question should be why do you want to force 2 different species to live confined together - i can not think of any benifit for the animals?

It seems to me that these multi-species habitats that people want to set up are an interesting idea, and can work in some circumstances with VERY careful selection of species. Only the very smallest reptile species would be suitable for the home enthusiast, because the space requirements are way beyond that which most hobbyists can provide. Zoos, of which Melbourne is a great example, have great exhibits... but the enclosures are huge, temp maintenance is also a huge cost.

Keeping mixed genera at home, especially if you include large pythons or lizards, in a standard 4x2x2, will compromise the health of at least some of the occupants.

Jamie

Well then, I guess the decision is easyto make.
No more mixed species questions for me hahaha.

It seems to me that these multi-species habitats that people want to set up are an interesting idea, and can work in some circumstances with VERY careful selection of species. Only the very smallest reptile species would be suitable for the home enthusiast, because the space requirements are way beyond that which most hobbyists can provide. Zoos, of which Melbourne is a great example, have great exhibits... but the enclosures are huge, temp maintenance is also a huge cost.

Keeping mixed genera at home, especially if you include large pythons or lizards, in a standard 4x2x2, will compromise the health of at least some of the occupants.

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

What species (if any) do you think would coexist with a woma? I'm in the planning process of a new enclosure.

Hi Jamie,

What species (if any) do you think would coexist with a woma? I'm in the planning process of a new enclosure.

I'm not Jamie. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable but just a simple reading of his answer in short would be unless you have space like a zoo, time, energy and funds, for the basic keeper, none. Especially a woma.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks buffcoat :) my partner is a cabinetmaker so short from converting a whole room into his house, the new enclosure is going to be fairly expansive (no posts about him possibly going off his food because of the large size, that has defs been taken into consideration :) )

Time and energy would be the determining factor though... What would be involved?

I imagine it'd be a fairly unexpected for a woma to play nice with any other reptile given other posts I've read, I just thought I'd give it a shot :) no harm in asking, right :p but I'm not willing to give it a go unless I'm fairly certain lol.

I think I'll just put some fish in with the water, in his semi aquatic.

it couldn't be as traumatising as being in with a turtle with short problems.

A big problem is keeping the water quality good enough for fish to live in once your snake starts defacating.

Why do you have a water python in a semi aquatic tank? If there is enough water for fish then there might be too much water for a python. Unless your tank is big enough to offer suitable environments for both.

High humidity in a tank can cause some serious health problems and with water with faeces in it can quickly for unwanted bacteria, especially if it is warm.

A big problem is keeping the water quality good enough for fish to live in once your snake starts defacating.

Why do you have a water python in a semi aquatic tank? If there is enough water for fish then there might be too much water for a python. Unless your tank is big enough to offer suitable environments for both.

High humidity in a tank can cause some serious health problems and with water with faeces in it can quickly for unwanted bacteria, especially if it is warm.

Oh okay.
I don't yet have the snake, I was just going off ideas on this and the net, where people have goldfish and plecos in with their snakes.

Oh okay.
I don't yet have the snake, I was just going off ideas on this and the net, where people have goldfish and plecos in with their snakes.

If the snake was bored enough, surely it would consume the fish?

If the snake was bored enough, surely it would consume the fish?

Goldfish aren't a big deal, going on a whim I'd say they'd probably be less vicious then the turtles.
They happily coexist with most fish, but once they take it out one kind, you learn not to put them in again.

Coming home to him eating a ghost knife 5 times the size of him was fun.

Axolotl's are a very cold water species and need to be around 15-17degrees all year round. Kept on sand as they eat gravel, very low light conditions, plenty of space to walk around under water and hides. They are a fickle animal to keep so why make it hard for yourself? Just go with a normal enclosure for the Water Python (which are named for the water like sheen their scales give off).

There are other health risks from putting fish with a water python. Obviously if the fish has spines it could harm the snake when eaten. Also what treatments the fish has had before you bought it.

The big one you need to consider is thiaminase poisoning which happens in fish eating snakes and I'd imagine it could effect a water python as well although I don't know since I don't feed my pythons fish.

Aside from the other animals, the size of the enclosure would need to be huge, after all this is a snake that can grow to 3m and lives on land so you would need a very complex enclosure that consisted of a large dry area and as well as the aquarium. Most places don't sell large enclosures like that because there is such little demand so you either need to make it yourself or get a custom one made. All this together would cost an arm and a leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back