Is this legal? Blue tounges 'collected' for sale on gumtree

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

marcus0002

Are permits given that often to collect blue tongues from the wild in Queensland? Or does he mean something else by collecting? Is it legal to buy them?

Just collected 10 more young blue tongue lizards (not babies all about 7months old) all are around 20cm long very health and eating well.
If you have any questions please let me know. Must have a reptile / wildlife license.
$30 each or $50 for two.
Please remember local pickup is advised as shipping can be cost-prohibitive!

email or txt if interested (may not be able to answer calls)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you have misinterpreted the wording. I think they are a middle man and have probably purchased elsewhere and are on selling at a profit. Hence "collected" but not from the wild. You'd be very hard pressed to collect a large number of 7 month old blueys in perfect nick from the wild.

Yea I thought maybe that was the case. Just seemed rather blatant if it was dodge.

Don't they have to be held for six months before being on sold?

Its why gumtree has stopped all selling of reptiles. It stops guys like this selling based on purchasing for quick sale and profit.

Its why gumtree has stopped all selling of reptiles. It stops guys like this selling based on purchasing for quick sale and profit.

No that isn't why at all. Its illegal to sell reptiles through sites like gumtree as stated in your license. At the end of the day there is nothing wrong with people buying in bulk and selling on at a profit. That's how the world works. Legally there is a six month holding period but there are many ways around it, such as purchasing the reptiles but not under your name and simply giving the original breeders details out if arranged that way. Or larger collections can "cover" the animals. At the end of the day though as long as the animals are well cared for leave it to the relevant authorities to deal with minor things like that in my opinion.

Gumtree is still selling reptiles. At least in Queensland.

Can still sell them depending on state, NSW I believe is the state tha doesn't allow advertising unless on a reptile based website or herp related magazines (gumtree, trading post, local paper are all prohibited).

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back