Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will try to make it to the sunday session as getting tyres on my car saturday

No inverts that I could see.
No chrondos.
Lots of BHP and jungles.

There were a couple of inverts down the back corner near the stairs.

I will be honest and say I found it a flop.

I will add the proviso that I hate markets and even before going in I thought I may not like it.

I don't know what I was expecting but I thought it would be more educational and hands on.

There was lots of BHPs and heaps of monitors now I think about it. But they were all inside tiny little enclosures. The best I can say is that it gavee
A in person view of what certain snakes looked like and how big they grew.

Overall I was disappointed.

Last edited:
Meant to go today but didn't feel so well, it's a long drive, will I be missing anything if I don't go tomorrow?

It would have been cool if there was an extra dimension to the day with some educational talks by experienced breeders and keepers, or something of that nature. As for hands on though, I don't think it is a good idea for anyone to allow their reptiles to be passed around to a big group of people who may or may not have been handling their own reptiles and equipment before coming. I am surprised people want to take their animals out in public near other people's collections, at all, let alone let random people at a reptile expo touch them.

I had a great day, mainly because I got to catch up with some friends who I don't get to see often. There were two hatchling angle headed dragons there, which are the cutest things ever.

It was smaller than last year, there was at least four enclosure suppliers that did not come this year, I didn't see any GTP's but it was good to see a few more bhp's and some woma's this year. I was going to buy some quail this year but there was none. The scales and tails set ups were excellent and I loved the zebra and paradox and that was the first time I had seen one. Peter Krauss had no jungles but had a good display of a few species. It was a pity that tony Harrison was not there but there were some nice vens.

it's only good if your
-Taking a chunk of cash. And even then all you have is Pet Crazy coz City Farmers and Pet Barn Nerang bailed out because of Pet Crazy/pricing wars. Pet Center went big the first year and small the next two.

-Wanting to find some breeders.
-Or to see what to expect when your little reptile at home is all grown up.

Which is fine I guess.... I'm sic of getting ripped off at pet stores.

Last edited:
Not 1 GTP!!! :twisted: Seems to be getting worse every year. Not better

FLOP

I agree. I wouldnt bother. Drove a fair distance to see it and wasnt very impressed. Whats a reptile expo without a gtp. Was expecting a larger expo with a lot more reptiles.

I went today with the family & had a wonderful time... Kids loved it & got to interact with the monitors, skinks & crocodile with plenty of photos... The merchandise I saw was far cheaper than what you could buy at the pet store & I got contact details for a breeder of ridgetail monitors here in Brisbane... Was my first reptile expo & the only thing I was disappointed about was the fee for the kids to get their face painted & use the jumping castle/slide... Other than that it was def worth the entry fee & I'm already looking forward to the next one...

I went today with the family & had a wonderful time... Kids loved it & got to interact with the monitors, skinks & crocodile with plenty of photos... The merchandise I saw was far cheaper than what you could buy at the pet store & I got contact details for a breeder of ridgetail monitors here in Brisbane... Was my first reptile expo & the only thing I was disappointed about was the fee for the kids to get their face painted & use the jumping castle/slide... Other than that it was def worth the entry fee & I'm already looking forward to the next one...
I tried getting details of the Ridgey breeder but every time I went there he was gone , can you please pm me the details.

Re- absence of GTPs at the Expo. Who in their right mind would take tropical GTPs to Gold Coast in July? For the life of me, I can't understand why they hold this event during the coldest months of the year. No one else does.

Re- absence of GTPs at the Expo. Who in their right mind would take tropical GTPs to Gold Coast in July? For the life of me, I can't understand why they hold this event during the coldest months of the year. No one else does.
Last year there was a lot of GTP's but you are right about there being better times of the year to hold it.

Great day

I took my son,who is reptile mad, to the expo today. As usual it was a great success. The only disappointment was that there was no shows on but still excellent displays. The turn out seemed pretty good. I hope everyone continues to support the expo to help see it continue, it is an awesome setup. The exhibitors were as usual very helpful. Once again well done to all who made this possible, I look forward to it every year. My son has decided after today that he wants a diamond, does anyone have a suggestion on any possible clutches coming this year.

I guess this sort of event is one of those situations where if you go with a preconceived perception of what you are expecting and it falls short you are going to be disappointed even if it is still quite good (example the missing GTP's for some people which I love and am getting but I was stoked to see some great BHP's). As someone rejoining the hobby after nearly 16 years break from being a regular hobbyist (I had my original carpet python up until about 4 years ago but once had a vast collection of elapids and a couple of pythons in the early to mid 90's when a woma set you back $3500 - $4000 and a GTP if you could get it was $15000) I was impressed simply that we have an event like this available these days so I was never going to be disappointed. When I was keeping snakes in a major way (already started again with 2 x woma and 2 x jcp in 3 weeks) we had nothing like this all we had was our monthly reptile club meetings thanks in a big way to Alma Searle, Ted Searle and Neil Charles. I think everything is what you make of it and all the equipment and knowledge in one place for all to access is a marvelous thing. I actually had an item that I bought that it turned out on my way home (Sunshine Coast) I found cheaper in a retail store but I wasn't upset - laughed actually. No it wasn't massive but I didn't expect it to be Expo '88, the only disappointment for me was understood prior and that is that we are unable to purchase animals from breeders however this is no fault of the organisers but simply an outdated imposition put on us by a government department that struggles to move with the times. I say well done and if we support the event it can only grow, if we don't then it will slowly wither away. Which do we really want?

Well said Macca_22, seems many are already taking events like this for granted!
I'm getting so sick & tired of reading negative comments about events like this from supposed 'herpers'. Get out of your small minded thinking of 'I wanted to see this animal but they only had that'. I haven't been to the GC expo but I have been to & involved in the Vic expo every year it's been held. Negative comments leave the organisers wondering why they bother! Look at Vic, after 2009 & the work that went into it the organisers were burnt out & copping negative comments so they decided they didn't have the energy to organise it for 2010. Perfect opportunity for some of the "bashers" to step up & do it their way! Needless to say, there was no expo in Vic in 2010. If you actually like this herp hobby you should all be pumping it up! It may help get an extra few sponsors & vendors next time? As the event grows it will force change! In Vic we were constantly getting asked why no vens were displayed- it was continuously put to the department until they allowed specific demonstrators with specific guidelines to display vens. A win for the punters! Hopefully as your expo grows, sales on the day will be just around the corner.
What's going to come of just calling it a flop? Less people bother next time? So then less vendors take the time to go? Then less sponsors chip in $? That's if the organisers haven't already bailed! Good way to help your hobby!

Everyone needs to remain positive about these events, encourage the organisers & get behind them to grow them & in turn the whole industry!

Spot on Macca...Pioneers of the reptile community should be held in high esteem and well remembered.

Thank you to Alma & Ted Searle for countless hours of organising QRAC meetings and the friendship shown to others.

The meetings at the Qld.Museum are still remembered with much appreciation and respect.

Field trips were great as well.

Cheers
Sandee :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back