Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice Caliherp, any updated shots?

Here are two tanks I set up in the last few weeks, both need backgrounds which I am adding asap, I can't wait for them to grow in a bit!

Thank you for the kind words. I have changed it around a little sense then. I actually just got back from a business trip, I can't believe how quickly a planted tank can go to hell. I had a massive algae outbreak. Here is a pick I took last night before I did maintenance. I need to get rid of those stems in the back front. I really can't stand how quick they grow I woke up and atleast one of the stems have reached the suffice maybe more. Ill post another after maintenance shot after I get off work.

On a side note my shrimp are breeding like rats. Three of my females have had baby's just this month.

Whoops I forgot to update my tank. Please excuse the ugly diffuser. I broke my glass one.

One of my otto's being a food hog.

I can't believe my phone was able to focus on these tiny baby's. for size reference the substrate particle size is under 5mm. It's fluval plant stratum for those of you have seen or used it before. I hate the stuff by the way. Trying to get a tight grouping of stem plants is almost impossible. You plant one and two float up. I now refuse to plant of trim this tank without a few drinks in me. I'm still battling algae, slowly but surely I'm gaining momentum.

Last edited:
View attachment 254581View attachment 254582View attachment 254583

This is my bigger African setup, has a few more fish in it now including a trio of peppermint bristle nose, a few diff labs and Mbunas.

View attachment 254586View attachment 254584View attachment 254585

This is my girlfriends dads lounge room show tank, he used to work at Majestic aquariums the lucky *****.

I'll get a few more photos of my nano reef tank, juvi African setup and the American cichlid tank tonight ( a.k.a gold fish death tank)

Jason I didn't end up doing any research on the planted tank setup yesterday instead I went fishing before these 5.1m swells role in lol, I'll send you a pm tonight mate cheers.

are bristlenoses freshwater fish?

I cant believe how quick aquatic plants grow if given the right conditions, and to think I was about to give up.

My tank 20 days ago.

And today

Please excuse the random floating Anubias, I still have to find a place for them.

Last edited:
Nice Setup Patrick, are you using Co2? What's ya shrimp also?

Just bought some more shrimpies will take pics when they get here. Shrimps are addictives ey.

DSC_0910_edited-1.jpg

This tank was heavily planted until I added 3 freshwater crabs. They destroyed everything!

DSC_0908_edited-1.jpg

How it used to look

DSC_0094_edited-1.jpg

Nice Setup Patrick, are you using Co2? What's ya shrimp also?

Just bought some more shrimpies will take pics when they get here. Shrimps are addictives ey.

Thanks Brett. I got rid of the Co2 when I redid the tank. It's just another variable I did not want to deal with. My shrimp are red cherry shrimp. Your shrimp are incredible by the way. Ill get some pictures up soon of mine.

Last edited:
Thanks Brett. I got rid of the Co2 when I redid the tank. It's just another variable I did not want to deal with. My shrimp are red cherry shrimp. Your shrimp are incredible by the way. Ill get some pictures up soon of mine.

Thanks got 3 special ones coming next week. I'll add the pics from the for sale ad I lifted when I payed for the shrimp. Will get more when they arrive :)

Yer I'm not using Co2 and plants going well with just flourish plant additive now n then.

Pic of Shrimp Rack some spare room now I've reduced a few species of Gecko's and a bunch of hatchies. Good to be back into aquatics.

Riley the 2nd Shrimp is a Golden Bee

I have Crystal Red, Crystal Black, Golden Bee, with the Xtreme King Kong, Panda & Blue Bolt in pics to come

View attachment 293027
View attachment 293029
View attachment 293030
View attachment 293031

Last edited:
Nice Smithers! Where are all these varieties from? Natives I assume? What sort of size are they?

Do you collect them yourself? If not where do you buy them?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm intriuged. Defenitely taking some fine mesh nets next bush trip!

Hey Steve,

They are an import I think. Top out at 2cm so not much for a feed.

You can buy them on the online Shrimp sites. "Shrimp Keepers Forum" is a good place to start it's an aus based one.

Here's a gander at the variety Steve.

Warning equally if not more addictive than Reps.....big call I know. :p

View attachment 293038

I love shrimp an almost setup an aquarium for some (aquaone 320) but my frogs decided to breed again so it became a tadpole tank lol.

Rick

Ive had fish for years, cichlid's, discus, bred some L34 pleco's for a while etc, for the last year I had a colony of Frontosa, sad when you get the dreaded call to say all the fish have died by your 11 yr old son :( apparently all the plugs were removed from the power board, well needless to say my fish days are over, after coming out of the venture fishless I gave it away until I can have a dream set up :)

Thanks got 3 special ones coming next week. I'll add the pics from the for sale ad I lifted when I payed for the shrimp. Will get more when they arrive :)

Yer I'm not using Co2 and plants going well with just flourish plant additive now n then.

Pic of Shrimp Rack some spare room now I've reduced a few species of Gecko's and a bunch of hatchies. Good to be back into aquatics.

Riley the 2nd Shrimp is a Golden Bee

I have Crystal Red, Crystal Black, Golden Bee, with the Xtreme King Kong, Panda & Blue Bolt in pics to come

View attachment 293027
View attachment 293029
View attachment 293030
View attachment 293031

Damn bro your credit card must hate you. You got some expensive aquatic roaches. The blue bolts are insane they just got introduced into the American hobby. I have been dosing with the full seachem line, although I'm going to switch to EI(estimative index) soon. As far as plants go aquatics has been one of hardest ventures I've gone for yet. It's not easy to get rite but when you do it's verry rewording. Do you have to use a R/O system? Or is Australia's water quality good?

Another trip out of town, another algae infestation. I trimed as much as I could out as well as I trimmed the plants.

Feeding time. One of my females from my first generation has a saddle.

Edit- I forgot to mention. Over a month ago when I dosed the antibiotics to get god of the BGAy tank went through a mini cycle so I lost all my adult shrimp. But all my baby's survived and today I counted 35 at one time. So there has to be quite a few in there. I still need to get fish I'm thinking about Boraras brigittae, or B. maculatus.

Last edited:
just wondering if anyone knows what bamboo shrimp are worth??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back