Sugar gliders.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGBANG

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm getting a trio of sugar gliders and the next couple weeks, just wondering who else keeps them?

I don't, but I've wanted some for years. I just don't have an appropriate space for them at the moment, I don't have anywhere they could live without being stressed out by the other critters. I'm moving to acreage in 3 weeks though, so hopefully will have some in the not too distant future :)

I keep them. They are relatively easy to keep. Just as long as they have enough space and good food.

Can you expand on this. What sized enclosures are recommend for an adult pair or colony? What is a staple diet of one in captivity?

Rick

How is it that you are able to keep this native species as a pet when you are unable to keep other native's (possums, roo's)??

How is it that you are able to keep this native species as a pet when you are unable to keep other native's (possums, roo's)??

In SA we can keep most mammals (roo's, possums, hopping mice ect) on basic permit, not sure about other states.

Rick

:( I seriously wish we could keep them in Queensland without so many restrictions!

:( I seriously wish we could keep them in Queensland without so many restrictions!

:( Me too, raised some for release years ago. Sweetest things.
They are once again about in the backyard where I work after we successfully trapped 4 grown feral cats and a litter of 4 kittens. One kitten with a deformed lung and a huge wild male had to be euthanased, rest were rehomed.

you can keep them in queensland, i used to have some... however, they are not yours to 'keep', if they are injured, or have anything wrong with them.... i used to be a wildlife carer since i found a little blind sugar glider when i was camping, and i did a wildlife course, theres a small fee to it though... so you are kind of keeping them.. but sometimes, you have to take them back to the wild, or in my case (since it was blind) to billabong, which it then died not long after them having it. they are very loving, and so cute...

Unfortunately we can't here in NSW either. :(
Although I wouldn't mind owning hopping mice, not too sure about the plains rat though.

kristin.

i thought i would bump this up with a few pictures, i am very lucky to keep 2 beautiful girls who are both extremely friendly and love coming inside for a jump around every now and then,
they are quite easy to keep but still aren't the right animal for everyone,
it is definitely recommended to always keep them in pairs or a colony as they are very social animals ( as most people who research this animal would know)

Attachments

• shoulder djubi.jpg
    shoulder djubi.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 78
  • djubi pouch.jpg
    djubi pouch.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 90
  • djubi.jpg
    djubi.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Status