globe issues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pizzalover

Not so new Member
Reaction score
:| well I buy a Exo Terra 150 w globe, screw it in poooof about .5 second of use, made a bit of a gas in the top of the globe and that's it . Im hoping the store will replace it for me :( not happy Jan

They usually have a warrantee thought the store they should replace it

It may be the same batch I had dramas with. I contacted the company and waited till a new lot was manufactured. Havnt had a problem since. But I went through 10 globes before this. And my local shop replaced them for me. Good luck.

How long are these exo terra bulbs meant to last, do they last the same as the reptile one bulbs?

Ive used both and honestly I find the rep 1 brand better for lasting in excess of three months.

Whenever I buy the R1 bulbs they last about 3 weeks so i just gave up and bought normal high wattage bulbs and they last heaps heaps longer

Ive used both and honestly I find the rep 1 brand better for lasting in excess of three months.
I've had the opposite experience w/R1 brand having 3 of their bulbs blowing in 5 weeks. Switched to Ex/Terra-no probs so far. My local petshop always tests the bulbs in front of you before you buy them & if they blow within 2 weeks of purchase,they'll report it to the company & arrange a placement thru them.

This is why I have switched to RHP's and CHE's. They can be costly at first but have saved me a huge amount of money. I think there quality is getting worse. 6 years ago they would normally last me well over a year. Now they last no longer then a month for me. IMO they are more trouble then they are worth.

Edit: I was having more problems with Exo-terra then other more cheap brand names.

Last edited:
This is why I have switched to RHP's and CHE's. They can be costly at first but have saved me a huge amount of money.

From memory there is about $10 max difference between globes and CHE's from one of this sites sponsors - Not a lot of $$ considering the considerably longer life from CHE's.

From memory there is about $10 max difference between globes and CHE's from one of this sites sponsors - Not a lot of $$ considering the considerably longer life from CHE's.

That's not bad at all. I use to pay around 12-15$ for a 50w bulb. I think I payed 30 each for my 50w CHE's. the only downside to RHP's and CHE's is you need to use a thermostat or at least a rheostat. Although that may not be a bad thing other then the cost, I've always said my thermostats are the best investment I have ever made for my reptiles.

Last edited:
a lot of keepers are using philips lamps from the hardware store,$3 and last heaps longer than so-called reptile lamps which cost a fortune and last 5 seconds.
I also get 50-75w 5UVA lamps from an online dealer for about $4,they don't last long either but why pay heaps

As the importer of Exo Terra and Zoo Med just passing on that none of the incandescent or halogen globes have a written warranty, in general they will be replaced if they blow within a short period of time, this period is in part up to the store, who may question how the globe is being used if the failures are repeated. In the past I do remember an issue with the 150watt IRs also. I use the ExoTerra IRs at home and get 3-4 months out of them on a dimming thermostat, life of course can be affected by how and where they are installed and of course how they are controlled.
Both brands of CHEs have a written 2 year warranty! Bare in mind however a CHE is not the same as a basking or IR, they are great for ambient heating but are not great at creating a 'hot spot' for basking.

I've replaced my 100wt reptile one globes 4 times in the last 6 weeks to, and my pet shop wouldn't except that they where blowing so quickly so I've had to just kkeep buying them :( it's seriously disappointing that this happens so much, I thought I was just having a bad batch my local store had.

I have a spot light from a hardware store. I turned it on 3 times and it blew. Damn thing

All globes with loose filaments are prone to blowing at any time, add in turning them on an off or dimming using a thermostat and there life is dramatically reduced. I use halogens for my lizards due to them being able to cope with vibrations and on/off a lot better, still subject to reduced life with dimming though.

Halogens, ceramics or heat panels are a lot more stable then infrared globes. Would recommend these if you are having issues with premature failure with current lamps.

Rick

Last edited:
All globes will loose filaments are prone to blowing at any time, add in turning them on an off or dimming using a thermostat and there life is dramatically reduced. I use halogens for my lizards due to them being able to cope with vibrations and on/off a lot better, still subject to reduced life with dimming though.

Halogens, ceramics or heat panels are a lot more stable then infrared globes. Would recommend these if you are having issues with premature failure with current lamps.

Rick

On that one I have also discovered a lot of people use the wrong wattages, looking at bigger wattages for smallish tanks which means that there light are on and off more often and hence blow more often. (ie 100w gets to temp quicker and then goes off, but tank will still cool down at the same rate which means the globe will come back on the same period of time as using a 40w globe that takes longer to get to temp before turning off but will start after again after the same amount of time the 100w has been off.) It is all about balance, if you get it right you will blow less globes as they aren't on and off as often and will use less electricity, so a win both ways. I am also moving towards radiant heat panels and ceramics, but also have one set of lights on dimmers and can say that the dimming ones do seem to be lasting a lot longer. Sorry for the long post

The hot spot in my Coastals enclosure has a globe above on a timer (8am-4pm) plus a heat mat under the astro turf for night heating/little extra during the day. Both running off a Jet-001 thermostat, hasn't blown yet.
I have no idea what brand/type or anything about the globe though. It came with the enclosure and I forgot to ask when I got it. I might have to do some digging and see if I can work out what the globe actually is.

On that one I have also discovered a lot of people use the wrong wattages, looking at bigger wattages for smallish tanks which means that there light are on and off more often and hence blow more often. (ie 100w gets to temp quicker and then goes off, but tank will still cool down at the same rate which means the globe will come back on the same period of time as using a 40w globe that takes longer to get to temp before turning off but will start after again after the same amount of time the 100w has been off.) It is all about balance, if you get it right you will blow less globes as they aren't on and off as often and will use less electricity, so a win both ways. I am also moving towards radiant heat panels and ceramics, but also have one set of lights on dimmers and can say that the dimming ones do seem to be lasting a lot longer. Sorry for the long post

I don't run thermostats in my beardie or ridge tail enclosures an choose to use an appropriate wattage. Best way would be to use a low wattage lamp for basking temps only and a heat panel or ceramic on a thermostat to control ambient temps, like people do when running MVB's.

Would of thought most people that have been keeping for a while would of worked out appropriate wattages to run depending on room temps during te different seasons, like down sizing in winter to allow brumation or increasing wattage to keep temps warm for sub adults.

Rick

You would think so Rick but trust me their are still a lot that get it wrong and have for years :( and you will also blow more in winter as it is colder and on off more often

You would think so Rick but trust me their are still a lot that get it wrong and have for years :( and you will also blow more in winter as it is colder and on off more often

Should be more on then off if the right wattage is used. In my frog vivariums I used 25-40w party globes to add an ambient/basking heat, due to the humidity they seem to blow around 3-6 weeks. But for the cost of replacements I don't mind.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back