Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All albino morphs that i know of originate from the wild. They are found, caught, put on the books and welcomed to the hobby.
Any albino morelia, diamond or other, that comes from captivity, except now for Darwins, would be a hoax.
My own ideas about an albino diamond, are that yeah its possible, but, seeing as diamonds would spend more time exposed to the sun then other sub species of morelia, and melanin is natures sunblock, that they would perish young.

I was under the impression albino northern death adders originated in captivity. ??? But yes I very much agree with your point.

My own ideas about an albino diamond, are that yeah its possible, but, seeing as diamonds would spend more time exposed to the sun then other sub species of morelia, and melanin is natures sunblock, that they would perish young.

Why do you think that diamonds would spend more time in the sun than say darwins? If anything darwins would be exposed to more sunshine and UV than any southern type Morelia.

Why do you think that diamonds would spend more time in the sun than say darwins? If anything darwins would be exposed to more sunshine and UV than any southern type Morelia.

I guess the argument would come down to that a cooler climate would make a python more inclined to bask than one in a warmer area?

i think being exposed to sunlight would be the least of their worries.they would be picked off by predators before sun damage takes effect

Its only my point of view, I think this because of our ambient temps down here as opposed to the ambient temps of the tropics. Wild darwins can be at their optimum body temps quite easily without even going in the sun, and basking in the morning would get them there before the sun got too fierce.
Wild diamonds have to seek out the full sun, and will bask for the whole day quite often. I can only imagine that an albino mutation would be detrimental to a python that relies on so much solar radiation. Only my thoughts.
I was in FNQ in spring and the nights were 30degrees. Down here in spring the diamonds are congregating in groups and mating all day in the full sun. The females especially seek longer periods in the sun at this time of year too, for obvious reasons.

I personally just can't see the hype with wanting albinos of every morelia species. To me the wonderful thing about them is the range of colours and patterns throughout the species, yet many people are obsessed with trying to make them all albino and essentially looking exactly the same. Kinda seems backwards to me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait im abit lost. Snake ranch have an albino? I have been away overseas for a long time so i need updating lol. I cant see it on their fb there is only the Gosford diamond?

I personally just can't see the hype with wanting albinos of every morelia species. To me the wonderful thing about them is the range of colours and patterns throughout the species, yet many people are obsessed with trying to make them all albino and essentially looking exactly the same. Kinda seems backwards to me...
they wouldnt all look the same. the different patterns of each subspecies would show through in an albino in varying amounts of oranges and other tones i guess.
Wait im abit lost. Snake ranch have an albino? I have been away overseas for a long time so i need updating lol. I cant see it on their fb there is only the Gosford diamond?
This thread has made me realise that just because some users have a high post count, it doesnt necessarily mean that they know what they are talking about.

i reckon x breeding is all about what you get the end product to look like ......... there is no way they can be introduced into the wild , so , do what you like , and if it looks like an albino diamond, then it is an albino diamond. It depends on if you want to breed them or not.
If you are a purist and think you are buying a 99.999999999999 % albino instead of a 100% , then dont buy it ! ...... geeeeez you people on here make me laugh.

they wouldnt all look the same. the different patterns of each subspecies would show through in an albino in varying amounts of oranges and other tones i guess.

This thread has made me realise that just because some users have a high post count, it doesnt necessarily mean that they know what they are talking about.

And what did i say that made you come to that conclusion?? I wasnt giving any piece of information. Just asking a question...

I for one would be interested in owning an albino diamond and I wouldn't really care if it was pure or not because I wouldn't be naive enough to believe it was. If it looked good and was healthy I'd like to have it for what it is, not what it could be. Of course if it was 100% pure that would be the even better.
I hadn't ever paid much attention to albinos until I got mine, then I started checking them out more and realised that they have a hell of a lot of variation in colour and pattern, just different colours to standard animals.

All albino morphs that i know of originate from the wild. They are found, caught, put on the books and welcomed to the hobby.
Any albino morelia, diamond or other, that comes from captivity, except now for Darwins, would be a hoax.
As for albinos only coming from the wild or being a hoax, well l am not so sure as last season l know of "1st hand" where there are three clutches of stimmies with three different keepers that produced two clutches of radical looking piebalds and one of pale pink (close to white) and all pure stimmies, while these aren,t albinos they are something close to or dare l say it probably better than albinos....solar 17

I for one would be interested in owning an albino diamond and I wouldn't really care if it was pure or not because I wouldn't be naive enough to believe it was

Well if it wasn't pure then it couldn't be an albino diamond

As for albinos only coming from the wild or being a hoax, well l am not so sure as last season l know of "1st hand" where there are three clutches of stimmies with three different keepers that produced two clutches of radical looking piebalds and one of pale pink (close to white) and all pure stimmies, while these aren,t albinos they are something close to or dare l say it probably better than albinos....solar 17

Yeah... the line starts behind me right?

i reckon x breeding is all about what you get the end product to look like ......... there is no way they can be introduced into the wild , so , do what you like , and if it looks like an albino diamond, then it is an albino diamond. It depends on if you want to breed them or not.
If you are a purist and think you are buying a 99.999999999999 % albino instead of a 100% , then dont buy it ! ...... geeeeez you people on here make me laugh.

Can you explain what u mean by "no way they can be introduced into the wild"?.
Only asking because the last few years I have seen plenty of non local varieties of python doing quite well in the wild, and i see no reason why an escaped or released diamond wouldn't do well in qld.

What would an albino diamond be worth and I mean true albino not crossbred. Lineage DNA as well as documented breeding records

I heard they went for a nice price too some lucky people last season.

the problem is once a sub species reaches 3rd or 4th generation cross back you cant tell if its pure or not and people have been crossing since the first albino darwins were released. DNA will be no help as you cant even tell pure sub species apart let alone a 87.5% diamond and 12.5% coastal.

even if they were proven mixed blood albinos a heap of people from the hobby(some major breeders included- just think jag) would jump on them, if they prove to be popular then they would be as common as darwin albinos in 10yrs. Just being a realist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back