DOG OWNERS> bsl rally this Saturday

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats an awesome turn out !!! More power to all of you..... Any ideas about when the sydney one is taking place? I have been overseas for a while and am kind of behind on all the new updates.

Yes as Senator358 said it all went down same day everywhere.
Yeah I was pretty wrapped with turn out! (Specially with the bad weather)

Huge mix of emotions throughout the day hearing about saved dogs, dogs currently on trial and unfortunately the family pets put to death.

What a fantastic turnout! Really hope the message gets across and soon.
So at the moment, is BSL in action? And if so, what breeds have been listed as of yet?

i really hope BSL is put to an end but all we can do is keep rallying. Such an unfair decision.

As explained by a Dogs On Trial (DOT Victoria) member rebutting an article that has appeared on the ABC news website. Answers a lot of questions and why this legislation needs to be repealed.

"An amnesty was implemented when the revised legislation was passed in 2010. It actually ceased in 2011. It was meant to run for 2 years until 2012, but was cut short by 1 year, straight after the terrible attack on Ayen Chol.

Fact, if a person purchased a pup or brought a dog into Victoria after September 2010, and it even vaguely fits the Victoria Standard by which this law identifies a dog, that dog is at risk, if it is registered or not.
The legislation says that for a dog to be safe, it must have been registered on 30 September 2011 and in Victoria in September 2010.
So for anyone who has purchased a pup that is a staffy, those people and dogs are at risk no matter if they are registered or not. Doesn't even matter if the dog is a pit bull type or not, they can still be seized and end up dead. You can not identify a cross breed dog by appearance and appearance does not measure the temperament of a dog. That is just ridiculous. The set of a dogs ears does not indicate whether it is vicious or not!

DNA blood testing, which is scientific, is not able to be used to identify the breed of a dog, and is not able to be used as a defense in these cases. Any staffy type dog, or any dog with a boofy head is in danger with these stupid laws. In Victoria, we rely on a ridiculous physical description to identify the breeds in these dogs, rather than factual scientific evidence.

If you have any other shaped dog, you are fine, because unless your dog is involved in an incident AND gets caught that is fine. And even if your dog is involved in an incident, some media will still state it was a pit bull attack.
But if your dog even vaguely fits the government description, and even if your dog is a great dog, obedience trained and well mannered and responsibly owned, the council can get a warrant to come into your home (using the reason that they just suspect a restricted breed on premises, no proof of it) at any time and take the dog away from you. They can enter your dwelling, even if you are not home. You will get no warning of this.

Responsible owners of great dogs who have done nothing wrong have much to fear with this legislation. It is not effective in lowering attacks, and does not benefit community safety. There is no factual evidence anywhere in the world that has shown that this type of legislation works.
There is however, real evidence that alternatives such as The Calgary Model does work. Community safety and responsible dog owners, along with their dogs all benefit. Google it."

What a fantastic turnout! Really hope the message gets across and soon.
So at the moment, is BSL in action? And if so, what breeds have been listed as of yet?

i really hope BSL is put to an end but all we can do is keep rallying. Such an unfair decision.

I hope that long winded 'cut & paste' job helps explain BSL further:)

Sounds like the knee-jerk reaction to firearms. Gov has to look like its doing something to protect the public. No need to ban the breed, just control those wishing to obtain fighting breeds and educate them on reducing the risks. I'm pretty sure Labrardors are still one of the highest on the "bites" list. But there'll be no control of that "family friendly" animal :p

I was reading an article the other day that showed that toy breeds such poms and chihuahuas bite more people than any other group. It is just that no one bothers to report the dog due to its size. Owners tend to always spoil these breeds due to their cute looks and end up ruining the dog.

I get what you're saying but the 'this dog bites more' thing bothers me. I don't think pointing out that another breed bites in defence of Pitbulls makes for a strong argument.

The number of Labrador owners alone explains how there could be more cases of them being involved in incidents, that paired with the fact that they're considered a 'family dog' i.e more dog-child interaction. Doesn't matter what you own, dogs & small children don't mix.

You're right Exotic, many toy breeds are spoiled but they don't have the ability to kill a human being, plain & simple.

I get what you're saying but the 'this dog bites more' thing bothers me. I don't think pointing out that another breed bites in defence of Pitbulls makes for a strong argument.

The number of Labrador owners alone explains how there could be more cases of them being involved in incidents, that paired with the fact that they're considered a 'family dog' i.e more dog-child interaction. Doesn't matter what you own, dogs & small children don't mix.

You're right Exotic, many toy breeds are spoiled but they don't have the ability to kill a human being, plain & simple.

No dont get me wrong. Im not saying that in its a matter of a breed bites more, its not a comparison. Just that toy breeds are more prone to biting due to the way they are raised ( Again its human error). And i totally agree with your last point, and that is what the big issue is. Pits due to their size, loyalty, and power have been targeted by the wrong people for the wrong purposes...

No dont get me wrong. Im not saying that in its a matter of a breed bites more, its not a comparison. Just that toy breeds are more prone to biting due to the way they are raised ( Again its human error). And i totally agree with your last point, and that is what the big issue is. Pits due to their size, loyalty, and power have been targeted by the wrong people for the wrong purposes...

more often than not, most dogs labelled as a Pit by the Press is not a pit at all. The instant there is a dog attack " pit bull attacks"
Most people wouldn't know a Pit if it bit them on the butt -excuse the pun.

It all comes down to responsible ownership. Secure yard, training, etc. and this goes for any breed of dog.

IMO, BSL rallies will not change anything. Rotties and german shepherds were on the list now it's Pits.

more often than not, most dogs labelled as a Pit by the Press is not a pit at all. The instant there is a dog attack " pit bull attacks"
Most people wouldn't know a Pit if it bit them on the butt -excuse the pun.

It all comes down to responsible ownership. Secure yard, training, etc. and this goes for any breed of dog.

IMO, BSL rallies will not change anything. Rotties and german shepherds were on the list now it's Pits.

Very true. I highly doubt that they are even using qualified breed assessors or DNA tests. It goes bad in both cases since the assessor usually will judge on looks alone, and the test will doom the dog even if has 1% of a banned breed in it since the law states that a mix of any of the banned breeds is the same a purebred.There are multiple cases in which countries which have the ban enforced have made mistakes leading to the destruction of innocent dogs( not that any of the dogs is really guilty for anything). The rallies may not change anything immediately but there has to be a constant push against the law, its better than nothing being done at all. And just as Rotties and sheps were taken off the list, hopefully the next time its the whole list thrown out....

Great to see some discussion about the subject.

more often than not, most dogs labelled as a Pit by the Press is not a pit at all. The instant there is a dog attack " pit bull attacks"Most people wouldn't know a Pit if it bit them on the butt -excuse the pun.

Could not agree more(other than the 'rallies will not change anything'), specially about responsible ownership and training.

so what was the result of the rally? did anything change?

so what was the result of the rally? did anything change?

As with any legislation issue, it's slow going. But raising awareness is very important, because the more people that are expressing an opinion on an issue, the more likely that legislation will come to reflect commonly held views.
The knee-jerk legislation in place at the moment is entirely because of a government having an ignorant response to an issue that the public are generally ignorant about.
Awareness = education, and education means less ignorance :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back