Dragon with closed eye

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tristyn83

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a central bearded dragon that has a closed eye it is dry with gunk I've cleaned it out looks great then the next day it is closed again this has been hapening now for over a week. any sugestions or should i just get to the vet. thanks Tristyn

i would remove any substrate like sand, then wash the eye out with some eye drops and monitor the dragon for a few days. It it keeps coming back then take it to the vet.

Sometimes the uv output from uv lighting is too strong and they end up with a type of conjunctivitis which I didn't know until it happened to my dragons, it is a manufacturing default. I changed to tube to a lower uv output variety and this solved the problem. Might be worth considering.

I would cleanout his enclosure and use paper towl as a substrate. Also give him a bath to clean him and help with his shed. Also bath his eye once or twice a day to keep it clean.

It could be a stuck eye cap. If that's the case it needs to be removed. And from the way it sounds, it seems as if it has a infection. Is the eye milky? Is there any fluids being released from the eye. This happened to one of my geckos about 5 years ago. I was on vacation for a month. My friend was looking after my animals for me. When I got home I saw its eye was in bad shape. I rushed it to the vet. In the end the gecko lost its eye. Many people fail to realize the importance of a proper shed. Whenever my reptiles shed I take them out and give them a snout to tail check over to make sure there is no stuck shed.

beardies dont have eyecaps.

Turn the UV off for a few days incase it is that, and try cleaning it up for a few days, if it doesnt improve,... off to the vet.

beardies dont have eyecaps.

Turn the UV off for a few days incase it is that, and try cleaning it up for a few days, if it doesnt improve,... off to the vet.

Thank you for the correction. I knew there was a chance they didn't as they have eyelids but I wasn't 100% sure so it was worth a mention.

Hello,

Which UVB are you using, what brand is it? Is it a fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light? Are you using a bright white light for basking also?

You can get some sterile saline solution to help with his eye, to use daily. Is the
eye swollen at all?

Tracie

Hello,

Which UVB are you using, what brand is it? Is it a fluorescent tube bulb or a compact/coil light? Are you using a bright white light for basking also?

You can get some sterile saline solution to help with his eye, to use daily. Is the
eye swollen at all?

Tracie
It is a fluorescent tube reptile one and a black ceremic bulb for heat both due to be replaced next month.

It is a fluorescent tube reptile one and a black ceremic bulb for heat both due to be replaced next month.

If its due for replacement it wouldn't be the UVB causing eye damage. It probably got something in its eye that has scratched it. I know when I have scratched my eye I like to have it closed for a while.

Rick

Conjunctivitis, and it needs a vet's attention and some antibiotic drops. Same thing happened to one of my bluetongues, took several weeks to treat it with eyedrops specially formulated by the vet.

Is communicable to other lizards and people. You need to sterilise everything with F10 and use F10 handwipes after handling the lizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back